Where is the doggone zoom?

Reaction score
Phantom V 2.0 with GO4 and I don't know where the zoom control is. When I push my shutter button halfway to focus it moves to a zoom view, so how can I lock on the zoom mode? I have looked at every darn youtube I can with no reference to this. Frustrating.

For that matter I also can't find a toggle to move between jpeg and raw (or both), which I would like to be shooting in both formats.

Help! And thanks

Phantom V 2.0 with GO4 and I don't know where the zoom control is. When I push my shutter button halfway to focus it moves to a zoom view, so how can I lock on the zoom mode? I have looked at every darn youtube I can with no reference to this. Frustrating.
The camera on your Phantom has a fixed focal length lens - there is no zoom.
What you are seeing is Focus Assist that magnifies part of the screen.
I find it's just a distraction and switch it off in the app settings.
For that matter I also can't find a toggle to move between jpeg and raw (or both), which I would like to be shooting in both formats.
Click the icon below the big round screen shutter button to get into camera settings
i-jnmPNpS-L.jpg

Touch Image format
i-f6PkPjQ-L.jpg

The camera on your Phantom has a fixed focal length lens - there is no zoom.
What you are seeing is Focus Assist that magnifies part of the screen.
I find it's just a distraction and switch it off in the app settings.

Click the icon below the big round screen shutter button to get into camera settings
i-jnmPNpS-L.jpg

Touch Image format
i-f6PkPjQ-L.jpg
Thanks. I know the lens if fixed but I figured there should be an electronic zoom since digital zoom has been a feature of digital cameras for twenty years. And it must be latent in this unit since it does show up duing focus. Maybe someone will develop a hack...

Reactions: TR Ganey
Thanks. I know the lens if fixed but I figured there should be an electronic zoom since digital zoom has been a feature of digital cameras for twenty years. And it must be latent in this unit since it does show up duing focus. Maybe someone will develop a hack...
Digital zoom isn't worth anything.
It simply cuts off the outside of your image and throws it away.
You can do that yourself in your image managing software.

Digital zoom isn't worth anything.
It simply cuts off the outside of your image and throws it away.

You can do that yourself in your image managing software.

This may be true for you and the pictures you take but,,,,,,,,,,,,,, What about the real time view during flight. I'd like to have a closer view from further away at times for various reasons.

Last edited:
You will probably find your phantom doesn’t have a hotshoe, tripod mount or camera strap lugs either.....

I can see your point that it should be a feature easily implemented in the GO app. Unfortunately it isn’t...

This may be true for you and the pictures you take but,,,,,,,,,,,,,, What about the real time view during flight. I'd like to have a closer view from further away at times for various reasons.

Yeah, you can get drones with a big-camera platform, but you're talking about a lot more money.

For recreational drones at these prices, the camera package is designed for the primary purpose of wide-angle landscape photography, and FPV flying (where telescopic vision would not be welcome).

Zoom capabilities (for <ahem> 'various reasons') is a specialized task.

Besides, the personal cameras with digital zoom you talk about have the optics for it (they're not always wide-angle, even optically), so it's much easier to get a higher-rez digital zoom.

Yeah, you can get drones with a big-camera platform, but you're talking about a lot more money.

For recreational drones at these prices, the camera package is designed for the primary purpose of wide-angle landscape photography, and FPV flying (where telescopic vision would not be welcome).

Zoom capabilities (for <ahem> 'various reasons') is a specialized task.

Besides, the personal cameras with digital zoom you talk about have the optics for it (they're not always wide-angle, even optically), so it's much easier to get a higher-rez digital zoom.

It would just be nice to identify individual animals without spooking them etc. Maybe one day!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers