What's wrong with my phantom 3 standard!?

Reaction score
Hi, I have a phantom 3 standard with a 5.8 ghz argtex antenna by Blue proton, I have opened the controller multiple times to check the connections and everything is snug.. However I can only manage to fly my drone around 1000ft away from home point. I have flown in many locations and always the same result! What do I Do? I'm new here so any help would be appreciated!

Are you 100% sure it is a genuine argtex antenna or a knock off ?,I have heard there are some look a like knock offs that have poor range.

I heard there is one man on ebay that sells the argtex that is real and a lot are fakes but I don't know who he is.

I purchased mine from amazon, it looks to be the real deal from what I saw on their actual website

What does your drone do when it reaches a distance of 1,000 feet? Does it just stop moving away from you? Does it automatically go into a lost-radio-contact mode? Can you physically see it do anything in the air which you did not command it to do through your remote? Do you perchance have a "fence" invoked which has a radius of 1,000 feet? Have you tried returning the configuration of your controller back to what it was prior to installing the 5.8 ghz antennae? If so, do you get the same behavior out of the drone?

Reactions: Numone
What does your drone do when it reaches a distance of 1,000 feet? Does it just stop moving away from you? Does it automatically go into a lost-radio-contact mode? Can you physically see it do anything in the air which you did not command it to do through your remote? Do you perchance have a "fence" invoked which has a radius of 1,000 feet? Have you tried returning the configuration of your controller back to what it was prior to installing the 5.8 ghz antennae? If so, do you get the same behavior out of the drone?
When I get around 1000ft the rth initiates, no I don't have any limitations other than max altitude of 400 ft, I have not tried putting the original antenna back on the r/c yet, I may have that a try though if I can't get this resolved.

Last edited:
Those look original to me, I also bought from the Blue Proton site the same equipment but version 1.....I believe, 2 panels and 1 pole antenna back then, a year or so ago.

I too have the same problem, at first I contacted DJI and they blamed it on the phone I was using as it wasn't on their list....I then used the wifes Samsung Galaxy S5 that was on the list and an Ipad Air 2 also on the list, there was what seemed a slight increase in usability but hit or miss.
I then bought the ArgTek's, and again possibly a slight increase in usability I have also done the Papa Tita Magic Power Mod and still it's hit or miss.....I have had her out about 140-150m but bring her back as to me that's far enough but it's rare for that distance to happen before RTH get's initiated due to dodgy signal.

I'm using a samsung galaxy s5 as well, and also my live feed is laggy, and for some reason it even records it.. I'm really not liking this phantom that much at all! I'm thinking I should have went with autel or upair

I'm using a samsung galaxy s5 as well, and also my live feed is laggy, and for some reason it even records it.. I'm really not liking this phantom that much at all! I'm thinking I should have went with autel or upair
You can go with any drone manufacturer that you wish but I do not recommend the Upair one... I had one and felled from the sky with not reason and had full battery on it, got a video about it:

Reactions: Squirrel!
You can go with any drone manufacturer that you wish but I do not recommend the Upair one... I had one and felled from the sky with not reason and had full battery on it, got a video about it:

Thanks macoman I'll definitely stay away from that one lol, this is just very frustrating to me.

Autel seems to make a good one as well but I wonder how it holds up.

So that was footage from a supposed 4k camera... lol

However I can only manage to fly my drone around 1000ft away from home point. I have flown in many locations and always the same result! What do I Do? I'm new here so any help would be appreciated!
At around 1000 ft, did you lose the video feed first or the Tx control signal?
You need to find out which up or down-link you are losing first. The uplink is the 5.8G long middle antenna, and the downlink is the two panels.

I'm not real sure I guess video first but will it initiate rth if the video and telemetry go out? I can fly it then upload the logs to healthy drones if that would be useful.

Yes, you can still fly the drone even video and telemetry have gone out.
If you have a chance to read the logs, look for messages similar to this: "Signal Lost. Aircraft returning to Home Point", this is an AC initiated RTH. Where as "Mode changed to Go_Home" is a user initiated RTH.
Once you find out which one is the weak link, then you can go about to improve it.

I'm sorry I really don't understand the flight logs and where all of this information is displayed, that's why I've come here for help.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brianklenhart