What's wrong with my phantom 3 standard!?

I noticed when adding extension leads for powered boosters. The threaded connectors on the Argtek base go through quite thick plastic. I had to grind away about 0.5mm of the extension plug that screws onto it to make sure it grounded out and was secure. Before shortening the threaded cap - even when tight - I could turn the lead in the connector showing it was not fully home but cap was bottomed out. I have now ground back EVERY cap thread that screws onto my Argtek now !!

Nigel

Could you show me a picture of where you are talking about?

IMO, the difference between OP and solenlife's flights was that OP's was in an urban area and solen's was in rural. The problem is that in urban area, we have a lot 2.4g interference.
But if you look at the inside of a Argtek 7dBi panel, it's basically two dipole traces printed side-by-side on a PCB, in an "H" configuration. and the piece of metal plate that suppose to act like a wind surfer is actually narrower than the width of the "H", and it is not reflecting any signal back to the dipole. They are not directional, and you can point the Argtek backwards and still get the same video strength.
Where as in the urban area, we need a more directional antenna, so the signal can reach the AC.
Inside of Argtek 7dBi antenna

Could you show me a picture of where you are talking about?

The number of threads is only just enough .... and I suspect that some units may be not quite enough .... my Argtek Antenna were OK ... but all extensions and other gear I tried to fit to them - I was short on threads.

Nigel

Alright I understand what your saying now. Also which 5.8 antenna should I use for distance, I've seen a lot of videos on YouTube where some folks use the omni antenna and I've seen some where they use the panel?

Is this the correct way to have them On? Do they need to be angled or parallel to the ac antenna?

Attachments

• 20170606_132830.jpg
    20170606_132830.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 249
Reactions: skeptic49
Basically the flat face towards the model ..... all the writing on the panels should be facing you as that's the rear of the panels.

Your setup is right if model is directly ahead of the controller at same level.

Nigel

Argtek's 7dbi panels are no good, they are not much better than the stock ceramic patch.
I have since replaced them with Alfa's 2.4g panels (APA-M04) , I'm getting a more stable video feed now.
Aren't those indoor panel?

I use Papa's Magic Power, I have no problem with it. It's something you run it once and then you don't have to worry about it until the next firmware update.

I use Papa's Magic Power, I have no problem with it. It's something you run it once and then you don't have to worry about it until the next firmware update.
Icarus Is essentially the same thing in mobile app form.

Panel antenna ....

I put it this way - like flat screen TV - its best viewed straight onto the flat face. Maximum flat area perpendicular to you ...
The aircraft is you - the TV is the controller panels.

So you hold and keep panels flat faces to the aircraft. Panels are directional and as you alter the relative angle to aircraft - signal strength received by aircraft will change.

Your last flight of over 3000ft in such an area - looks like commercial premises and various buildings - which would most likely have interference. In such area - I would expect similar with a straight Argtek setup.

What we need now is a flight in a clear open farm area well away from any houses / gear.

Nigel

Ok I'll try to get out tomorrow and drive out to a rural area and give it a try there! So I was looking at other panels and noticed there's a alpha 5.8ghz/2.4ghz dual band directional 10 dbi high gain antenna, that would do better than the one provided by argtek would it not? The argtek 5.8ghz directional antenna is 6dbi.

Forgive me if I say this in all honesty :

You see my Controller in photos,

With powered boosters : (panels or stick antenna made no appreciable difference). 4835m max range ... 4500 average.

Standard basic Argtek with two panels and centre stick antenna. 2500m max range rural, 1000m urban ..... average 2000m.

Standard Argtek with single Parabolic reflector. 3000m max range rural, 1500m urban .... average 2500m.

Standard Argtek with Dual Parabolic reflectors on centre stick antenna, 4500 max range rural, 2000m urban .... average 3500m.

All this talk of Alpha Panels .... Boosters ..... etc. etc. - in my opinion is all circling the same item : Good installation and getting signal 'focused' correctly.

As you can see by my extensive number of videos on YT channel - I have covered so much ground on this and with budget levels of costs.
I tried a 14dbi panel on the 5.8Ghz and it was rubbish to be honest ... it gave me no more than I have with the standard Argtek stick.

The best set-up after all my tests of different set-ups (I accept that I have not tested DBS Itelite, but see no reason to, given ranges I have achieved) .... best for me is the simple Dual Reflectors on the standard Argtek antenna rig. No need for additional power, cheap and effective. Total cost about $10 for the two reflectors ...

I am even considering swapping out the side panels from the 2.4Ghz to stick antenna and putting reflectors on those .... FrSky do replacement antenna for their 2.4Ghz radios for about $3 each ... (I actually have 3 spare ones on my bench from replacing on my normal RC Tx's).

Hope the above can help ... for me - there's no need to spend a lot of cash on this ... $60 and about 1hrs work will achieve over 4000m for the standard ...

Nigel

Reactions: skeptic49
So I got a new sd card.. lexar633x 32gb, when I inserted it to the gimbal it said "card error please replace card"

Why? The specs say it can handle up to 64gb, and the highest recommended by dji is the lexar 633x 16 gb. So why would a 32 gb not work?

Try formating the card while inside the gimbal base, using the GO app.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kingroberto666