What Tablet

I used to sail out of Hayling Island Yacht Co Marina ... and before that Tudor Sailing Club at Langstone until they went a bit silly !

This is my small collection at bottom of my garden :

Sunrider 25 motor sailer
Kormoran 4.5m sailboat with 2 person cabin
Progress 400 Soviet speed boat

plus various other dinghy's etc. scattered around ! The Sunrider was bought in Gosport many years ago and brought over to sail Baltic. Being bilge keel - she gets in the Swedish islands tiny interesting channels that others cannot ! And being solid GRP - she stays in during winter even with the thick ice we have.... gets near 1m thick at times.

Here's a video from my P3P .. sorry about the over exposure - very bright sun and histogram wasn't showing ..

Nigel

Sorry duplicated post deleted

Last edited:
Quote : "The Nexus 9 and K1 are both 5 years old!... old CPUs, low Ram, no warranty You might want to look into a new Hauwei Mediapad T3" unquote

Sorry but my Nexus 7 vers is a 2012 unit and performs fine .. I admit its with 16Gb ... but age is not the biggest factor at all.

Nigel

Reactions: LarBear360
I used to sail out of Hayling Island Yacht Co Marina ... and before that Tudor Sailing Club at Langstone until they went a bit silly !

This is my small collection at bottom of my garden :

Sunrider 25 motor sailer
Kormoran 4.5m sailboat with 2 person cabin
Progress 400 Soviet speed boat

plus various other dinghy's etc. scattered around ! The Sunrider was bought in Gosport many years ago and brought over to sail Baltic. Being bilge keel - she gets in the Swedish islands tiny interesting channels that others cannot ! And being solid GRP - she stays in during winter even with the thick ice we have.... gets near 1m thick at times.

Here's a video from my P3P .. sorry about the over exposure - very bright sun and histogram wasn't showing ..

Nigel
Hi Nigel

Looks perfect, the last time I went sailing in the Solent it felt more like the M25 on a Friday afternoon!!

Take care and keep in touch
Ad

With all due respect, can't you find a current device within your budget? The Nexus 9 and K1 are both 5 years old!... old CPUs, low Ram, no warranty

You might want to look into a new Hauwei Mediapad T3

Thanks for the "nudge" towards something new....however there seems to always be so many versions of the same thing! Is this what you were suggesting?

Huawei 53018680 MediaPad T3 8" Tablet - (Qualcomm Quad-core 1.4GHz, RAM 2GB, ROM 16GB, IPS-Display)

As you say not a lot of money, although there seems to be some concerns around Android 7 that leaves me totally confused.

All help gratefully received

SAdrian

although there seems to be some concerns around Android 7 that leaves

Android 7 works fine on my huawei mediapad M3... the problem comes in with different manufacturers doing different things with the programming of the USB port.

If you want some real advice on some current tablets, just say so... or better yet do a forum search there's plenty already been discussed about this

Hi Nigel

Looks perfect, the last time I went sailing in the Solent it felt more like the M25 on a Friday afternoon!!

Take care and keep in touch
Ad

Used to be a joke :

On a weekend or bank Holiday you could walk across the boats to Isle of Wight !!

You really need to see the Swedish Archipelago ... one of the most beautiful and unspoilt cruising areas ever and without tides !! Tie up to trees ... BBQ ... move on ...

Nigel

Android 7 works fine on my huawei mediapad M3... the problem comes in with different manufacturers doing different things with the programming of the USB port.

If you want some real advice on some current tablets, just say so... or better yet do a forum search there's plenty already been discussed about this

Many thanks, I'll do more searching previous threads as suggested

Used to be a joke :

On a weekend or bank Holiday you could walk across the boats to Isle of Wight !!

You really need to see the Swedish Archipelago ... one of the most beautiful and unspoilt cruising areas ever and without tides !! Tie up to trees ... BBQ ... move on ...

Nigel

Hi Nigel

A sailing instructor who tried to teach me his "craft" entertained us over a pint regarding a hardened "Med" cruiser who finally braved the Bay of Biscay and forgot tides when mooring in Jersey!

...I should have worded a little better that Official Google own Android is 6.xx version and they themselves have not issued a later version. But other companys have issued updated versions. The problem there though is the ACDD is too open for strict interpretation and has led to various 3rd party Android versions having compatibility problems with various apps. This is part of the reason why Google Play Store will tell you if your tablet / phone are compatible with the App you want to download / install.

Anyway - back to my original point ... the later version of android does not automatically mean better performance of Go etc. if it does not have the processing and resources to support. My Nexus with 6 will outperform many later Android version gear I see for that reason. My Mediatech Chinese cheapo from Banggood also will put to shame many well known brands for same reason.

If I was buying again ... I would go for latest Nexus with maximum ROM / RAM possible ... even my outdated Nexus vers 2 16Gb is still a good machine on the P3 series, the 32Gb Nexus vers 2 is a very good machine ..IF you can get anyone to sell it to you !!

Nigel
The latest version of Android from Google is version 9, aka "Pie". If you have a Pixel or an Essential phone, then that is the version that is available now.

The latest version of Android from Google is version 9, aka "Pie". If you have a Pixel or an Essential phone, then that is the version that is available now.

Google and Asus ended their tight deal and have eased apart ... such that they now have separate tablets ...

The development of Android until recently was split between Google/ASUS and licenced 3rd partys. This produced the familiar problems of apps not working with certain phones and Android versions. The later Google development, with the easing of ties between Google and ASUS ... bringing about this Vers 9 PIE is a welcome sight ... BUT take note, the roll out for any platform NOT Google's is seriously delayed. many will wait till mid-late 2019 and then you may find you cannot update to it anyway.

IOS (Apple) kept a tight rein on their OS, as did Microsoft with DOS and Windows ... but Google after creating an excellent OS opened the doors and it became a victim of its open door policy. Maybe now Google are trying to rein it back in ? I hope so. But still it will mean for many - an upgrade in tablet / phone to have the benefits of latest Android. Most tablets / phones out there today will not accommodate PIE.

Nigel

Google and Asus ended their tight deal and have eased apart ... such that they now have separate tablets ...

The development of Android until recently was split between Google/ASUS and licenced 3rd partys. This produced the familiar problems of apps not working with certain phones and Android versions. The later Google development, with the easing of ties between Google and ASUS ... bringing about this Vers 9 PIE is a welcome sight ... BUT take note, the roll out for any platform NOT Google's is seriously delayed. many will wait till mid-late 2019 and then you may find you cannot update to it anyway.

IOS (Apple) kept a tight rein on their OS, as did Microsoft with DOS and Windows ... but Google after creating an excellent OS opened the doors and it became a victim of its open door policy. Maybe now Google are trying to rein it back in ? I hope so. But still it will mean for many - an upgrade in tablet / phone to have the benefits of latest Android. Most tablets / phones out there today will not accommodate PIE.

Nigel
Google rotated Nexus devices between multiple vendors (HTC, Samsung, LG, Motorola, Asus, Huawei) and was always the primary developer of the OS. It was never exclusive to Asus. The devices that will get Android 9 (aka "Pie") first will be the devices that were eligible for the beta, Typically late models get the update, tablets not so much. Basically if your device is more than 2 years old, it's not likely to get an OS update.

If anything, Google has become more open to working with the OEMs to get new versions out. The Android P beta was available on 7 different 3rd party devices. Prior versions of Android were typically only available for beta on the Nexus and Pixel devices. With the development of the Treble architecture, it will be easier for the OEMs to get their customized versions of Android out after a new version..

2 years has always been the Google cut-off for updates ... with security patches continuing for another year or so.

Google and Asus had a very tight relationship in fact with the Nexus being their joint product until the later versions.

Nigel

2 years has always been the Google cut-off for updates ... with security patches continuing for another year or so.

Google and Asus had a very tight relationship in fact with the Nexus being their joint product until the later versions.

Nigel
Asus made the first and second generation Nexus 7 tablets and the Nexus Player for Google. Samsung did the Nexus S, Galaxy Nexus phones and the Nexus 10 tablet. HTC did the Nexus One phone and Nexus 9 tablet. LG did the Nexus 4, Nexus 5, Nexus 5X phones. Motorola did the Nexus 6 and Huawei did the Nexus 6P. By deliberate choice, Google rotated the manufacture of the Nexus devices between the vendors, to avoid favoritism.

One could argue that two years is the reasonable cutoff date for any phone for OS updates. While Apple is pretty good about providing updates to phone 3 or 4 years old, the performance tends to take a hit.

With regards "The Nexus 9 and K1 are both 5 years old!... old CPUs, low Ram, no warranty.

I paid $180 for my K1. Warranty or not, it performs flawlessly with Go & Litchi, and it features HDMI out to use with my goggles and my Canon DSLR. I feel very fortunate to own one. If and when it does fail, I will go with the MediaPad.

"Google rotated the manufacture of the Nexus devices between the vendors, to avoid favoritism" ....

Nothing to do with costs of course .... Google is not one to even think about favouritism - money is the name of the game.

Google was always looking to provide an alternative to WINCE ... and later WIN Mobile. To be successful it had to develop and allow its 'model' to be suitable for multiple brands. That meant the brands had an open hand to modify as long as base kernel followed Googles requirements. ASUS was a partner in hardware that greatly assisted Google.
Android became a huge success and along with many brands and even now Nokia (Microsoft) embraces the OS.

Nigel

Just a little side note, and I think I saw it elsewhere but I cant see it on here, Litchi`s latest update wont work on Android 9, so dont update your OS if given the chance, at least until DJI sort out their SDK.

I'm using a Samsung Galaxy Tab S with my P3P. Works like a charm although I have never tried using it with DJI Go. I'm a Litchi man through and through!:)

Reactions: Technical Bob
The mention of Litchi .... I have been an ardent supporter of Litchi for a long time but about 6 months ago - I went back to GO. I was finding Litchi crashing out unexpectedly ...

Couple of days ago - I did a flight and Litchi was unreliable to say the least. It crashed out twice in two flights.

I'm running :

Nexus 7 vers 2 16Gb - never had any problems before.
FW 1.11.20
Latest updated Litchi

The Go I have installed is 3.1.43 - the latest.

I have a sneeky feeling that something latest GO has installed may have affected LITCHI operation even though I forcestop one when running the other etc.

Nigel

"Google rotated the manufacture of the Nexus devices between the vendors, to avoid favoritism" ....

Nothing to do with costs of course .... Google is not one to even think about favouritism - money is the name of the game.

Google was always looking to provide an alternative to WINCE ... and later WIN Mobile. To be successful it had to develop and allow its 'model' to be suitable for multiple brands. That meant the brands had an open hand to modify as long as base kernel followed Googles requirements. ASUS was a partner in hardware that greatly assisted Google.
Android became a huge success and along with many brands and even now Nokia (Microsoft) embraces the OS.

Nigel
The Nokia that is doing the Android devices is not the part of Nokia that was acquired by Microsoft. That part of Nokia was shuttered and Microsoft took a massive write off for that adventure. That being said, Microsoft does a lot on the Android platform these days.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brianklenhart