Orignal PH4 vs Mavic 2 Pro

Reaction score
Would appreciate your thoughts, feedback and / or
experience. I have an original DJI PH4, it’s been great and for the most part still works fine. I have literally flown it all over the world during the nearly 5 years I have had it.

That being said, it is near 5 years old. The batteries (I have three) only last about 15 min now, flight time has gradually decreased with use and they are starting to show small cracks in the casing. The sensors need calibrating, but DJI software updates seem to have broken this function and I can’t get it to work. It doesn’t seem to effect its performance, but I suspect the obstacle avoidance features are compromised. The camera has its original limitations, and while quality 4K is certainly possible, avoiding over exposure was and still is a problem with this model and still picture quality is poor.

My biggest complaint really is that it is noisy and heavy. Packed away in a hard shell backpack case, with all the extras, it’s near 20 some odd pounds to lug around. That’s a lot to trek up a hill and I’m not getting any younger. The noisy bit isn’t so much an issue for me as for those around me. It can be distraction and I do my best not to be a nuisance to others that might be out in the same area I am.

Question is, would it make sense to move over to a new frame (I.e. the Mavic 2), and / or is there enough incremental benefit in the newer PHP 4 v2 to justify the move?

I like the smaller / lighter foot print of the Mavic, but what do I lose in so far as capabilities and accessories (i.e. I use an iPad mini display, and sometimes a Epson headset)? I also like the larger, more “professional” controller that comes with the PH4. Also, is it really any quieter or less of a potential nuisance to others that might be in the area?

I understand that an upgrade to a PHP 4 2.0 gets me a better camera. Is it enough to justify the $1500+ cost vs the original PH4?

Question is, would it make sense to move over to a new frame (I.e. the Mavic 2), and / or is there enough incremental benefit in the newer PHP 4 v2 to justify the move?
The Phantom 4 pro was a huge upgrade for photographers because it has a real camera with a controllable aperture and a 4X bigger sensor.
The Mavic 2 pro has similar photographic ability and performance and is quieter too.
Either is a good choice.

Thanks both. Leonard, how do you like the controller for the Mavic? Can you use an iPad with it?

I think the choice is easy. Want the best photo, go for P4P, want portability and less noise go for Mavic.
Although and this must have been your experience too, I'm glad when I hear my Phantom coming back if I lost it from the view so the 'noise' may be often very pleasant.
But of course, you're right about annoying the others. I usually if possible choose the take off point not so close to other people. Anyway you must be at least 30m away from any other person.
But whatever you choose it will be OK. Wish you good flying.

Reactions: Mavikhan and RPP
Sorry, one more question. I haven’t upgraded my PH4 firmware for quite a while as you might guess, no real need. I hear that the newer DJI drones attempt to enforce geo restrictions more then the older versions did.

While I use AirMaps religiously to validate I am flying in approved areas, I often times will get alerts from the DJI4 app because I am near a flight restricted area. I find the app to be less accurate then AirMaps. In any case, if I get an alert from the app, I will check AirMaps to see what restrictions are in place at my actual location and either ignore the alert or adjust my flight plan.

With a new drone, will it refuse to fly if the app alerts?

mavic pro 2 camera does not use the full sensor! i miss my p4p! i did all the video settings and cannot get a smooth crisp video on m2p. it looks like m2p camera has a yellowish tint in any of settings. im glad i returned it. p4p has the better camera even in auto settings.

Reactions: MTO and Mavikhan
It's a question many others have had as well. As far as portability and ease of use, each person will have to decide for themselves, but as far as image quality there are comparisons out there. I did some work comparing with color grading.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.