What May Be U.S.’s First Drone-Linked Aircraft Crash Is Being Investigated

Agreed, nicely stated.

In past incidents involving two manned aircraft in the air there were two sides or stories to the incident. This case there is only one side or story. And again I say “if it is a story”. If the Instructor failed to correct the situation and contact was made,the Instructor is in violation, as for the student he knows nothing, probably had his hands so full of stick and rudder he never saw anything outside. So “it was a drone”is a pretty good way out of a ugly situation at least legally. Under no circumstances am I saying or even insinuating that this happened in this particular incident,BUT, this really presents a “out”that will be used in the future.

Captain Sully didn't freak out he handled it like a champ but this guy handled it like a chump , Sorry... He tried dodging a drone but hit a tree LOLOL, Seriously

Captain Sully is a freaking HERO and handled it with perfection. But he had time to read the checklists, make decisions, and establish Best Glide Speed (V-BG) in order to give himself time to get it right. He did it perfectly. You're comparing Apples to a hatchet here.

Assuming there was an immediate/imminent threat to the helo (and that's yet to be proven or disproven) the student/instructor didn't have the luxury of time to go over checklists and make sure the decisions were the right ones. Most likely he/they reacted instinctively and impacted a tree/shrub/bush damaging the tail rotor. Regardless of how it happened the pilot is charged with "Always flying the aircraft" and in the end it was his responsibility to maintain distance between the aircraft and everything else. Most likely the Instructor will be found at fault but calling him a chump is beyond disrespectful especially since you don't know what you're talking about.

Like I said it's awfully easy to sit in your nice comfy chair and play internet quarterback when you have nothing on the line.

Classic example of why we have so many "Drone" sightings now. We have allowed the media to program everyone to think/assume anything that isn't a jetliner is now a DRONE.
Tell me how we have allowed the media? The media will do what the media wants to do for ratings.

I imagine you'd be VERY surprised how many aircraft have been grounded due to bird strikes. Keep in mind that it doesn't have to disable the aircraft in order for it to be grounded. It costs us a LOT of money to have an aircraft on the ground waiting for inspection and if it requires repairs this price grows astronomically by the hour.

You'd think that a War Worthy aircraft would not be so "Fragile" but you're be wrong. Take this Canadian Hawk-115 from BAe that CRASHED due to a bird ingestion in/around 2004. This video is from two entirely different flights (2 different airplanes) combined to add more DRAMA to the finished product. Keep that in mind when watching it but remember a BIRD did take this aircraft down... down to Terra Firma

Now image what the same bird would do to the windscreen of a non-impact rated aircraft. Most GA aircraft do not have impact rated windscreen and a bird impact at the right place will destroy the windscsreen and introduce it AND the bird remains in the face of the cockpit personnel.

Here is a good example:

First of all your "Drone" is a lot more rigid (especially the battery and motors) than the brittle components of a bird. That makes a WORLD of difference in damage amount. Don't believe me? Have someone toss a wet beach towel at you from 3' away. Now freeze the same beach towel (make sure it has the same amount of water etc at before) and have the same person throw it at you from 3' away. Notice any difference in those two situations?

You don't understand RADAR and how they work. A large sUAS may show up on some units but the returns from a radar are intentionally FILTERED to disregard items the size of birds. Otherwise the radar screen would be so full of clutter you wouldn't be able to get any data from it. Before you get to carried way discussing radar you also need to know that unless the aircraft (or lets say BIRD) is carrying a transponder it won't show a viable return on ATC radar. That's a whole different technology than object avoidance radar.
I wiped out a great egret on my car windshield doing 75. After I cleaned the bloody spot away, the windshield was fine. Wonder how it would have fared at 300 knots?

The bird, or the windshield?

Either way, I bet that egret didn’t have the GUTS to do that again.....[emoji33]........

......sorry,......couldn’t resist that one. [emoji31]

Reactions: dirkclod
Captain Sully is a freaking HERO and handled it with perfection. But he had time to read the checklists, make decisions, and establish Best Glide Speed (V-BG) in order to give himself time to get it right. He did it perfectly. You're comparing Apples to a hatchet here.

Assuming there was an immediate/imminent threat to the helo (and that's yet to be proven or disproven) the student/instructor didn't have the luxury of time to go over checklists and make sure the decisions were the right ones. Most likely he/they reacted instinctively and impacted a tree/shrub/bush damaging the tail rotor. Regardless of how it happened the pilot is charged with "Always flying the aircraft" and in the end it was his responsibility to maintain distance between the aircraft and everything else. Most likely the Instructor will be found at fault but calling him a chump is beyond disrespectful especially since you don't know what you're talking about.

Like I said it's awfully easy to sit in your nice comfy chair and play internet quarterback when you have nothing on the line.

You basically just said the same thing I said just in a nicer way and since you don’t know all the facts either “ you don’t know what you’re talking about about” and your only sharing your opinion just like I am , No ?

The bird, or the windshield?

Either way, I bet that egret didn’t have the GUTS to do that again.....[emoji33]........

......sorry,......couldn’t resist that one. [emoji31]
I like it. No, the bird didn't have the guts. I had the guts. I really felt bad, but that's life, well for one of us. Be careful crossing Lk Monroe on I- 4. I lived in DeBary then.

Reactions: captainmilehigh
You basically just said the same thing I said just in a nicer way and since you don’t know all the facts either “ you don’t know what you’re talking about about” and your only sharing your opinion just like I am , No ?

I have real world experience well beyond aUAS to rely upon.

At least I can be honest and give the benefit of a doubt..

The thing is, don't put yourself in situations where your options are limited. Being so close to trees and bushes, is never a good idea, even for training. My Uncle taught all Highway Patrol in California to fly Helicopters, after they got the required ratings. These craft are simple but tricky and can be a handful if you don't keep your eyes open.
But, personally, I would let the drone hit the copter, rather than make an ill-advised movement, where I had no idea of my surroundings. The drone would not have hurt it in any way.
Sometimes, situations don't give you a lot of time to think, in those cases, you do what you must.

Reactions: BigAl07
I like it. No, the bird didn't have the guts. I had the guts. I really felt bad, but that's life, well for one of us. Be careful crossing Lk Monroe on I- 4. I lived in DeBary then.

Do you know what the last thing that went through the egret's mind was when it hit the windshield???

Yea. Thread has run its course it seems.

Yea. Thread has run its course it seems.
Naa, they'll be talkin about this for a while only because the bozo pilot tried shifting blame on a drone so this case will be mentioned as to why even stricter drone laws are needed but at the end of the day the blame is going to be put on him , maybe he was on his way out anyway and this is the push he needed..

Naa, they'll be talkin about this for a while only because the bozo pilot tried shifting blame on a drone so this case will be mentioned as to why even stricter drone laws are needed but at the end of the day the blame is going to be put on him , maybe he was on his way out anyway and this is the push he needed..

Right or wrong I don't feel Bozo pilot was needed lets wait for the FAA report to see who's to blame

Right or wrong I don't feel Bozo pilot was needed lets wait for the FAA report to see who's to blame
The pilot is supposed to be capable of keeping control of the craft and in this case his performance was subpar and that’s what the findings will be , it would be a different matter if it was equipment failure but this is simply pilot error.
Pilots are human an make mistakes all the time but they usually don’t crash as a result of their mistakes. He will soon join the ranks of many other retired unemployable pilots who will buy a drone because that’s the only way he’ll be allowed to continue to fly .

Very true. We could use a dose of respect in here.

Well said @dronesky

Very true. We could use a dose of respect in here.

Well said @dronesky

Well, it does seem kinda odd to have a trainee fling so low and close to objects that the experienced pilot couldnt even keep from crashing. Much less not even really sure what they hit. Why is saying bozo that bad. The whole situation sounds stupid and could have been avoided rather there was a drone involved or not.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl