What May Be U.S.’s First Drone-Linked Aircraft Crash Is Being Investigated

My favorite incident report.The drone that was not quite a drone.

Drone report.png

Reactions: BigAl07
My favorite incident report.The drone that was not quite a drone.

View attachment 95344

Classic example of why we have so many "Drone" sightings now. We have allowed the media to program everyone to think/assume anything that isn't a jetliner is now a DRONE.

Commenting on my earlier post. I am from around Fort Rucker which is home of Army Aviation. Here, the sky is full of Chinooks, apache's, and Blackhawks on any given day. For training purposes the majority of aircraft do have a defined flight path which a lot of time takes directly over populated areas and a lot of times have a low altitude. It has been my experience and probably not everyone's that I have been flying my drone, and be below the 400-foot altitude and see a helicopter fly over at which point out of respect I drop altitude . I know the pilot sees me because I have seen them change path come directly to my drone as if to try to knock it out of the sky. That being said I also have a lot of large buzzards and other birds. So if they say drones are such an issue how many aircraft have been brought down by running into a bird such as a buzzard or a crow. a buzzard weighs a lot more than my drone and has a lot more mass. I doubt that a multimillion-dollar aircraft such as an Apache helicopter would be susceptible to be knocked out of the sky by a drone. the sophistication of such aircraft have the radar capability to see what's in front of them being small as a drone. So how hand they not even see the drone on their approach anyway.

cdean says: "I know the pilot sees me because I have seen them change path come directly to my drone as if to try to knock it out of the sky."

With all due respect this is speculation.
How do you know the thoughts of others?

Furthermore I doubt any pilot would be so careless with his career and our military aircraft as to play 'chicken'.

cdean says: "I know the pilot sees me because I have seen them change path come directly to my drone as if to try to knock it out of the sky."

With all due respect this is speculation.
How do you know the thoughts of others?

Furthermore I doubt any pilot would be so careless with his career and our military aircraft as to play 'chicken'.
I say this because I know there flight paths. I have lived here most of my life. When you see them fly straight every day until your flying and then see them bank left as to make a direct approach to your birds location then I say say yes it is intentional. But this is only my interpretation

Not looking to argue, but, first you say 'know' and then 'intentional' then follow up with your 'interpretation'.

The first two require proof, the latter is more plausible.

Reactions: BigAl07
Based on my interpretation I know most of the interactions I come across is intentional. From my point of view I just see it that way. Like you say I don't have proof but it's just learned knowledge.

Reactions: Hounddog
....That being said I also have a lot of large buzzards and other birds. So if they say drones are such an issue how many aircraft have been brought down by running into a bird such as a buzzard or a crow. a buzzard weighs a lot more than my drone and has a lot more mass. I doubt that a multimillion-dollar aircraft such as an Apache helicopter would be susceptible to be knocked out of the sky by a drone. the sophistication of such aircraft have the radar capability to see what's in front of them being small as a drone. So how hand they not even see the drone on their approach anyway.

I imagine you'd be VERY surprised how many aircraft have been grounded due to bird strikes. Keep in mind that it doesn't have to disable the aircraft in order for it to be grounded. It costs us a LOT of money to have an aircraft on the ground waiting for inspection and if it requires repairs this price grows astronomically by the hour.

You'd think that a War Worthy aircraft would not be so "Fragile" but you're be wrong. Take this Canadian Hawk-115 from BAe that CRASHED due to a bird ingestion in/around 2004. This video is from two entirely different flights (2 different airplanes) combined to add more DRAMA to the finished product. Keep that in mind when watching it but remember a BIRD did take this aircraft down... down to Terra Firma

Now image what the same bird would do to the windscreen of a non-impact rated aircraft. Most GA aircraft do not have impact rated windscreen and a bird impact at the right place will destroy the windscsreen and introduce it AND the bird remains in the face of the cockpit personnel.

Here is a good example:

a buzzard weighs a lot more than my drone and has a lot more mass. I doubt that a multimillion-dollar aircraft such as an Apache helicopter would be susceptible to be knocked out of the sky by a drone. the sophistication of such aircraft have the radar capability to see what's in front of them being small as a drone. So how hand they not even see the drone on their approach anyway.

First of all your "Drone" is a lot more rigid (especially the battery and motors) than the brittle components of a bird. That makes a WORLD of difference in damage amount. Don't believe me? Have someone toss a wet beach towel at you from 3' away. Now freeze the same beach towel (make sure it has the same amount of water etc at before) and have the same person throw it at you from 3' away. Notice any difference in those two situations?

You don't understand RADAR and how they work. A large sUAS may show up on some units but the returns from a radar are intentionally FILTERED to disregard items the size of birds. Otherwise the radar screen would be so full of clutter you wouldn't be able to get any data from it. Before you get to carried way discussing radar you also need to know that unless the aircraft (or lets say BIRD) is carrying a transponder it won't show a viable return on ATC radar. That's a whole different technology than object avoidance radar.

Take note that this has not been confirmed yet so take it as "news" until proven to be fact.

Let's discuss it but do so in a Civil way.

What May Be U.S.’s First Drone-Linked Aircraft Crash Is Being Investigated

The incident on Wednesday involved a student pilot and an instructor, both of whom told investigators that a small drone appeared directly in front of them, according to a Charleston Police Department report. The instructor took over the controls and attempted to avoid a collision, and the tail of the helicopter hit a tree or brush, triggering a crash landing.......
It sounds like the pilots lookin for a scapegoat he crashed a couple hundred thousand dollar copter because of a drone it’s a good thing he’s not flying an airliner and seen some birds he would’ve ditched it ...
He’s gotta man up he’s the pilot , or he was a pilot

It sounds like the pilots lookin for a scapegoat he crashed a couple hundred thousand dollar copter because of a drone it’s a good thing he’s not flying an airliner and seen some birds he would’ve ditched it ...
He’s gotta man up he’s the pilot , or he was a pilot

It's easy to say that when you're tailfeathers aren't in the hot seat . . . . Just saying.

It just boils down to what really happened versus what can be proven. Just an example, When I was in Afghanistan I had a buddy that fell asleep at the wheel and wrecked a brand new Maxx Pro. Said he hit "black ice" because we were in the mountains during winter. everyone had the same story and that was the end of it. With drones now being so easy to get and are literally every where makes for a good excuse in possible negligence. Just sparks the same debate over getting rid of guns. All it takes is an occurrence such as this whether true or not to come up and all the haters will be calling for drone control and you will be forced to fly your bird with a 100 foot piece of string tied to it.

Reactions: lickitysplit11111
It just boils down to what really happened versus what can be proven. Just an example, When I was in Afghanistan I had a buddy that fell asleep at the wheel and wrecked a brand new Maxx Pro. Said he hit "black ice" because we were in the mountains during winter. everyone had the same story and that was the end of it. With drones now being so easy to get and are literally every where makes for a good excuse in possible negligence. Just sparks the same debate over getting rid of guns. All it takes is an occurrence such as this whether true or not to come up and all the haters will be calling for drone control and you will be forced to fly your bird with a 100 foot piece of string tied to it.
Exactly its not what two people say happened its what YOU CAN PROVE and the NTSB ain't stupid

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20