What makes the P4 better than the P3? can i upgrade the P3?

Reaction score
Title pretty much says it all. i have a P3 and am going to start working toward doing mapping for my company. Is the P4 better suited? Why and can I upgrade my P3 to have more capabilities? UPDATE i guess i should have included that I do have the P34K. but dont think i have the lightbridge. much image issues if it gets more then a 100 feet away from me.

Last edited:
Title pretty much says it all. i have a P3 and am going to start working toward doing mapping for my company. Is the P4 better suited? Why and can I upgrade my P3 to have more capabilities?

Regarding the P4 Pro -
20MP camera is an instant benefit.
You can map from a higher altitude and get the same GSD as you would have with the P3. Higher alt with the same GSD means more ground covered in less time.
It also has a mechanical shutter which is more beneficial to mapping vs electronic shutter.
The battery lasts longer - even more flight time to compliment my first point.
The camera has a better sensor meaning you can use a faster shutter speed in the same light (vs P3) to get sharper photos; another instant win when mapping

Regarding the P4 Pro -
You can map from a higher altitude and get the same GSD as you would have with the P3. Higher alt with the same GSD means more ground covered in less time.
It also has a mechanical shutter which is more beneficial to mapping vs electronic shutter.
The camera has a better sensor meaning you can use a faster shutter speed in the same light (vs P3) to get sharper photos; another instant win when mapping

Just got a new P4A this drone is amazing. It’s a work horse and has a sweet camera. Just my 2 cents. This is coming from a guy who used to say that P3’s were the greatest thing since sliced bread.

Regarding the P4 Pro -
They were. You will get the opportunity to say the same thing about the P4A when the next model hits the market.

Title pretty much says it all. i have a P3 and am going to start working toward doing mapping for my company. Is the P4 better suited? Why and can I upgrade my P3 to have more capabilities?
P4 any day,it not have wifi issues (lightbridge), :)

That depends on which P3 you have and which P4 you ask about.
If you have a P3 standard, the P3 advanced and pro are far better because of their Lightbridge control which makes the old wifi system used in the Standard obsolete.
If you have a P3 pro or Adv and are looking at an original P4, the differences are only small refinements.
If you are looking at a P4 pro, it's far ahead because of its camera.

Reactions: Loz
As meta4 said. P3 and P4 are not Aircraft they are a series of different models, each with different capabilities and features. You (OP) will have a particular P3 model not just a P3.

No you cannot generally upgrade from one to another, the why is because they just were not designed to do that by the manufacturer. Technology is evolving fast, each later model generally improves on previous in many ways.

P4 may be better suited to your requirement, later models generally are, BUT - that depends on what you determine the requirements are, since not stated, not possibly to give you an informed response.

can you upgrade P3 with light bridge. i have the signal issue i have with this drone.
P3s no...as @Meta4 and @Loz metion above,this is why most modify remote anttena, I had to do same with mine,brand new my p3s couldn't even do close to the range as advertised (1km) now it gets close but no fun,some go great distance some go not far enough,could never work it out so bit the bullet and got p4 and never looked back,p3s is now just for backyard,heaps of options to upgrade on ebay or Amazon, once again ,it's a $$$$$ game,best of luck with what you choose,ps,remote anttena upgrades do help but if can't afford try a windsurfer to help signal beam forward :) and yip my p34k was worse

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj