What is the max height on the Phantom 4 ?

I agree it should be 500m agl not above take off.
^ what he said :)

I don't think it is too complicated to introduce AGL to Phantom. Google has ASL for most if not all GPS coordinates so downloading map of area to your bird or tablet for offline use is a possible. That way Phantom will be aware of AGL at all times.

Perhaps if it were to use DEM data when available (i.e. preloaded or via an active internet link), and otherwise default to 500 m above the takeoff point, then that would be a reasonable approach.

In Australia our CASA (same as the FAA) says you should not fly above 120m (400ft) AGL which is added to your ASML height as depicted by a GPS. This means once you know your site height as shown by a GPS, you add 400 get to that figure and that is the Max. height you can fly.

A licensed UAV operator must also have a set of charts or an app called 'Ozrunways' which shows what Fly Zone are are in, the Min. height of planes can fly in relation to airports, airfields and the CTAF radio freq. of that area. Even out in the bush miles way from any airport or town, you are still flying in controlled airspace.

Those who fly for profit after acquiring a CASA issued UOC license, must also have a current Aviation Radio Operator's Certificate as issued by CASA. That hand held radio is then set on a set Mzh frequency, and every 15 minutes, whether there its a plane the sky of not, the radio op would say something like this......" UAV in operation at Boo Boo, 15 Nm SW from Boo Boo airport, not above 2500 feet, Boo Boo traffic..." I'm sure your FAA have similar rules?.

Those flying for fun do not need a license from CASA under 2kgs MTOW. But if you want make money out of your bird, you must get that license and it's not easy!

Regardless of what bird you fly, here is Oz its not above 400 ft, and no more closer than 100 ft from buildings, people etc. My RPAS training allows me to fly birds up to 7kgs and in VLOS - Virtual Line Of Sight. You must have an Observer at all times when flying an UAV. and if flying a two RC bird, you have an Observer, Polot,

CASA will be releasing a new set of UAV Regs and Rules after September 16 this year. FYI, Australia has the world's highest safety aviation standard in the world.

Reactions: peterepeat69
That comment is from 10/12/2015 :)

That has always been the limitation. There was a bug in one of the first firmware versions that allowed that limit to be bypassed by doing some unusual things. It was patched a while ago though.
Unless I'm crazy, you could bypass the 500m by holding down RTH during the last iteration of the Go App software and firmware when I was flying the P3P mostly. Than said, I am crazy and rarely need to or try to go over 500m.

Reactions: Slim.Slamma
In Australia our CASA (same as the FAA) says you should not fly above 120m (400ft) AGL which is added to your ASML height as depicted by a GPS. This means once you know your site height as shown by a GPS, you add 400 get to that figure and that is the Max. height you can fly.

A licensed UAV operator must also have a set of charts or an app called 'Ozrunways' which shows what Fly Zone are are in, the Min. height of planes can fly in relation to airports, airfields and the CTAF radio freq. of that area. Even out in the bush miles way from any airport or town, you are still flying in controlled airspace.

Those who fly for profit after acquiring a CASA issued UOC license, must also have a current Aviation Radio Operator's Certificate as issued by CASA. That hand held radio is then set on a set Mzh frequency, and every 15 minutes, whether there its a plane the sky of not, the radio op would say something like this......" UAV in operation at Boo Boo, 15 Nm SW from Boo Boo airport, not above 2500 feet, Boo Boo traffic..." I'm sure your FAA have similar rules?.

Those flying for fun do not need a license from CASA under 2kgs MTOW. But if you want make money out of your bird, you must get that license and it's not easy!

Regardless of what bird you fly, here is Oz its not above 400 ft, and no more closer than 100 ft from buildings, people etc. My RPAS training allows me to fly birds up to 7kgs and in VLOS - Virtual Line Of Sight. You must have an Observer at all times when flying an UAV. and if flying a two RC bird, you have an Observer, Polot,

CASA will be releasing a new set of UAV Regs and Rules after September 16 this year. FYI, Australia has the world's highest safety aviation standard in the world.
As evidenced by Quantas' streak of non-fatal accidents which I believe finally, unfortunately came to an end a year or so ago if I'm not mistaken after like a 20 or longer year run.

The AGL can be implemented into the current hardware as a software update. Does anyone want to contact DJI and do this as a feature request? Will probably take quite a bit of time to implement but later is better than never. Here's a solution in C++.....

#include<iostream>
#include <stdio.h>
using namespace std;

int main() {

int ac_alt_tp = A; // aircraft altitude from take off point
int tp_alt_asl = B; // take off point above sea level altitude
int ac_gps_alt_asl = C; // aircraft gps location altitude above sea level
int ac_agl = 0; // aircraft above ground level altitude
int diff_ac_gps_tp = ac_gps_alt_asl - tp_alt_asl; // difference between AC gps location ASL alt and take off point ASL alt

// A, B, C variables are provided from the current DJI software code.

ac_agl = ac_alt_tp - diff_ac_gps_tp; // secret crabby patty formula

// example flying on incline: tp_alt_asl = 1000ft, ac_gps_alt_asl = 1200ft, ac_alt_tp = 400ft --- ac_agl = 400ft - 200ft gives you 200ft above ground level
// example flying on decline: tp_alt_asl = 1000ft, ac_gps_alt_asl = 800ft, ac_alt_tp = 400ft --- ac_agl = 400ft - -200ft gives you 600ft above ground level

printf (ac_agl);
return 0;
}

coders will get it....

To test the height range... In a perfect weather day here in Miami, I lunched my Phantom 4 up in the sky directly above me, and set the max height to 500m in the DJI Go app.

With antenna pointing straight up according to DJI manual when flying P4 directly above... I can only get to about 300m before signal is getting lost.

As evidenced by Quantas' streak of non-fatal accidents which I believe finally, unfortunately came to an end a year or so ago if I'm not mistaken after like a 20 or longer year run.
Not sure what you might be referring to and would be interested to see details.
Qantas has not had a fatal accident since 1951.

To test the height range... In a perfect weather day here in Miami, I lunched my Phantom 4 up in the sky directly above me, and set the max height to 500m in the DJI Go app.
With antenna pointing straight up according to DJI manual when flying P4 directly above... I can only get to about 300m before signal is getting lost.
Optimum signal is with the flat sides of the antennae facing and parallel to the legs of the Phantom.
Going straight up is always going to be the worst possible angle to maintain signal.

I can only get 393 feet agl with any of my phantoms .
if I try to go higher it won't go.
just stay at 393 feet

Disappointing. Video from the Angel Falls will have to wait until somebody figures this out :( . Not that I was planing to go right away but it was always a dream flight I had.

The issue with 500 feet is flying in mountains where launch and point of interest is higher than 500 feet because the ground is higher there.

Not sure what you might be referring to and would be interested to see details.
Qantas has not had a fatal accident since 1951.
Stand corrected. Thanks.

I love Quantas. Airlines that don't crash are just wonderful.

I have a question. When flying over valleys, and the AGL is like 9000 feet but your telem is 200 feet, are we breaking the FAA rules?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.