What Is The First Drone You Ever Had?

Reaction score
What was your first drone? What did it feel like there first time you ever flew a drone? What did you upgrade to?
I remember when I was 12 I was looking at a magazine and I saw a ad for a drone. I was immediately amazed, and in love with the idea of a flying camera.
My first drone was a crappy $150 drone from amazon, when I was 12-13. It wouldn’t even take off, it just fell over. And then someone stole it so I couldn’t return it. Then I did a whole bunch of research and quickly found that dji was best. I bought a Phantom 3 standard for $400. I was in love. The first time I flew it I was amazed. The only other time I’ve had a feeling like it, was when I bought my first motorcycle.
I upgraded to a mavic, crashed that, saved for a couple years, and then bought the p4p I have now.

Reactions: bill combs
My first few drones were <$50 drones that weren't anything close to a DJI drone. My first DJI drone was the Phantom 2 Vision+.

My first was the Phantom 1, bought at a trade show (NAB) in Las Vegas, April 2013. Even back then, DJI had a huge booth and many avid onlookers as their folks flew drones inside a wire mesh "cage". Really cool stuff back then. I've bought everyone up to and including the P4 Pro +. Probably my last DJI product (although I never say never!).

Interesting. Thanks
My first was the Phantom 1, bought at a trade show (NAB) in Las Vegas, April 2013. Even back then, DJI had a huge booth and many avid onlookers as their folks flew drones inside a wire mesh "cage". Really cool stuff back then. I've bought everyone up to and including the P4 Pro +. Probably my last DJI product (although I never say never!).
cool, thanks for sharing. Why your last? Because they ending the phantoms?

Drones in terms of Multi-Rotors ? Goes back about 9 or 10yrs ..... with the usual Toy like stuff ... they all still fly today ...

For a while I was a reviewer for a couple of well known brands but nothing like DJI.

General RC goes back about 55+ yrs .... because Drones actually are not only multi rotor but can be fixed wing etc. But I don't dabble in fixed wing drone stuff ... I just fly !!

Have a P3S - but that went for a swim and no longer functions ... motors are now on a 450 Multi Rotor ...

Replaced the P3S with a P3P ... best thing I did ... difference is chalk and cheese ..

Last edited:
I got a Parrot Bebop 2 and promptly crashed it...Decided I needed something with a little more protection...Bought an M2Z and took some time learning to fly it...Added a P4A and an Inspire 1.

Over the past five years I have had a Pioneer JXD 509 (toy), Syma X8 (bigger), great for learning to fly without GPS. Then a Hubsan H109, looked great GPS, better camera, ended up on the repair desk more than flying. Broke down and purchased a Phantom 4 and couldn't have been happier!

My first R/C (which are now collectively called Drones) was a Single Channel airplane in 1974.

Over time moved up to other aircraft including helicopters and then of course MultiRotors (MR). My first MR was a custom unit designed/built by a good long term friend here in my home town around 2009 or 2010. We called it the BEAST because it was a BEAST to fly. It had no GPS and only a simply dual axis Gyro for stabilization. You had to FLY IT all the time or it would immediately head to Terra Firma at a high rate of speed. Stability was still something we only dreamed about. Honestly at that time it was more building and fixing than flying. We spent about 80% of the time with tools in hand, 10% trying to get it off the ground, and 10% actually flying it in a controlled and safe manner.

My first "Stabilized" MR was a Blade QX350 and it was a DREAM to fly. Fully stabilized, GPS for location services and several Flight Modes.... Then a QX350-2 which was upgraded to a QX350-3. That was during the Phantom 1 and Phantom 2 days. I finally "upgraded" to the Phantom 3 and it's gotten silly/crazy since then.

My first R/C (which are now collectively called Drones) was a Single Channel airplane in 1974.

Over time moved up to other aircraft including helicopters and then of course MultiRotors (MR). My first MR was a custom unit designed/built by a good long term friend here in my home town around 2009 or 2010. We called it the BEAST because it was a BEAST to fly. It had no GPS and only a simply dual axis Gyro for stabilization. You had to FLY IT all the time or it would immediately head to Terra Firma at a high rate of speed. Stability was still something we only dreamed about. Honestly at that time it was more building and fixing than flying. We spent about 80% of the time with tools in hand, 10% trying to get it off the ground, and 10% actually flying it in a controlled and safe manner.

My first "Stabilized" MR was a Blade QX350 and it was a DREAM to fly. Fully stabilized, GPS for location services and several Flight Modes.... Then a QX350-2 which was upgraded to a QX350-3. That was during the Phantom 1 and Phantom 2 days. I finally "upgraded" to the Phantom 3 and it's gotten silly/crazy since then.
Wow that’s really interesting. It sure is amazing how far technology has come. What where the rc planes like back then? Are you glad drone technology is advanced and easy to access as it is?

Wow that’s really interesting. It sure is amazing how far technology has come.

It's mind boggling how much it's changed. The first radio I had was single channel and NON-Proportional. It was a Push Button and you pushed the button over and over and over to maintain a turn.

What where the rc planes like back then?
They looked like real airplanes and they flew like real airplanes. You had to learn to FLY before you actually flew or you went home with a bag full of parts to put together.

Are you glad drone technology is advanced and easy to access as it is?

I'm Old School so I have mixed emotions. I think they are literally TOO EASY to fly meaning you just have to Swipe your credit card, charge the batteries, and hit the TAKE OFF button. No more having to learn what the buttons/switches do! No more learning HOW to fly the aircraft. No more having to learn rules & regulations to fly.

Reactions: dirkclod
It's mind boggling how much it's changed. The first radio I had was single channel and NON-Proportional. It was a Push Button and you pushed the button over and over and over to maintain a turn.

They looked like real airplanes and they flew like real airplanes. You had to learn to FLY before you actually flew or you went home with a bag full of parts to put together.

I'm Old School so I have mixed emotions. I think they are literally TOO EASY to fly meaning you just have to Swipe your credit card, charge the batteries, and hit the TAKE OFF button. No more having to learn what the buttons/switches do! No more learning HOW to fly the aircraft. No more having to learn rules & regulations to fly.
Why that’s crazy. Did you start out flying an actual airplane? Where there any restrictions back then? Where could you fly planes?
Totally that’s what I thought. I’ve considered selling me p4p and buying a FPV drone, because you have to build them, you can buy all the parts, and crash them. It’s crazy that a little kid can flying a drone now.

No I was flying Remote Control (I was only 4 years old).

Restrictions were simple... fly at a flying field.... be safe.... don't bother anyone else... and don't do anything stupid.

Reactions: t65d and dirkclod
No I was flying Remote Control (I was only 4 years old).

Restrictions were simple... fly at a flying field.... be safe.... don't bother anyone else... and don't do anything stupid.
Wow you started young, where your parents, or dad into it?

Wow you started young, where your parents, or dad into it?

My dad was into Free Flight (stick built and covered with tissue). We then got int Control Line and then the single channel RC.

My dad was into Free Flight (stick built and covered with tissue). We then got int Control Line and then the single channel RC.
Oh cool, what’s the difference between the three again? Is free flight like a kite?

What was your first drone? What did it feel like there first time you ever flew a drone? What did you upgrade to?
I remember when I was 12 I was looking at a magazine and I saw a ad for a drone. I was immediately amazed, and in love with the idea of a flying camera.
My first drone was a crappy $150 drone from amazon, when I was 12-13. It wouldn’t even take off, it just fell over. And then someone stole it so I couldn’t return it. Then I did a whole bunch of research and quickly found that dji was best. I bought a Phantom 3 standard for $400. I was in love. The first time I flew it I was amazed. The only other time I’ve had a feeling like it, was when I bought my first motorcycle.
I upgraded to a mavic, crashed that, saved for a couple years, and then bought the p4p I have now.
The one you have in classifieds you are selling.
Mine was a FC40.

Oh cool, what’s the difference between the three again? Is free flight like a kite?
Free Flight - You launch the aircraft and it flies in a gentle climbing circle until power is exhausted (rubber band or Nitro Fuel) at which point it enters a gradual turning decent and comes in for a smooth landing (yea right).

Control line - You are literally controlling elevator input (Up & Down) of the airplane via a pair (or 3) strings/wires connected to the aircraft. You are the center/pivot point and you go in circles until you exhaust the fuel or you crash.

Remote Control (R/C) - is what we have today but WAY more complex than it was 40 years ago.

My first was not a drone, but a Control Line plane. I was only 10 or 11 way back then. Had to gas up the motor with real fuel then start the motor by spinning the prop. It was fun to fly but hard to land without crashing when it ran out of gas. What I remember most about that experience was having to wait weeks or months to get replacement parts as the Internet didn’t exist back then so had to rely on a parts catalogue and telephone, send money by a money order, then wait for parts in the mail.

Fast forward to 2016 and I bought my first drone - a Syma X8G. I rigged it with a 2-axis gimbal and added a GoPro clone. It worked great until I crashed it and messed up the gimbal. It still flies and I occasionally use it to practice ‘atti’ mode (no GPS, etc).

Then on Boxing Day that year (2016), I got my first DJI - a P3S. Like others have said, I couldn’t believe how stable it was. A year later at Christmas (2017), I got my Spark. I still fly both weekly.

Chri

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.