What happends when DJI app lockup/freezes on P4P+ ?

Reaction score
Yesterday when I was going through some settings on the app it quit responding to touch commands and gave me an error message "unfortunately the DJI app has stopped". The touch screen would not respond and all I could do it turn off the controller. The bird was sitting on my kitchen countertop and had GPS lock/connected to controller but I didn't have the props on inside the house. I was just setting up some options.

This really concerns me as what if the built in app locks up or freezes during flights?

I would assume since the bird would lose signal from controller it would initiate a RTH since there would be no controller to bird signal.
Hopefully after I restarted the controller in the even this occurs it would reconnect and I'd regain control of the quad?
Any help or suggestions is greatly appreciated.
I've been flying other drones for about 18 months but this is my first DJI product so I'm still reading, watching and learning every day.
Thanks guys!
:)

I would assume since the bird would lose signal from controller it would initiate a RTH since there would be no controller to bird signal.
The bird is controlled by a separate signal from the remote controller. You can restart the DJI GO app and/or your mobile device without interrupting your flight. You'll continue to have full control of your bird as long as the remote controller is connected.

Hopefully after I restarted the controller in the even this occurs it would reconnect and I'd regain control of the quad?
After restarting the DJI GO app and/or your mobile device, you should be able to see the video again once DJI GO is connected to your Phantom. That second connection is known as the "downlink". While the downlink is nice to have since it provides the video and valuable flight information, it's not required to fly.

Reactions: Davidnclearlaketx
I am referring to the Phantom 4 Pro+ that has the built in screen and there is no option to restart the app. It launches automatically when I power up the controller. I am not using a mobile device.
The only control on the built in Android tablet is a sleep/wake button on the tablet. There were no responses to touch at all on the screen and all I could do is totally power off the whole controller to start over.

If there is no way to kill the DJI GO app without restarting the remote controller, then your bird would lose the remote controller signal after 3 seconds and RTH would be auto initiated. I don't have a P4P+ remote controller yet, so I'm not sure if there is a way to work around that issue.

The bird is controlled by a separate signal from the remote controller. You can restart the DJI GO app and/or your mobile device without interrupting your flight. You'll continue to have full control of your bird as long as the remote controller is connected.

After restarting the DJI GO app and/or your mobile device, you should be able to see the video again once DJI GO is connected to your Phantom. That second connection is known as the "downlink".

Yes, but David is referring to the P4P+ remote controller where you are unable to just restart the DJI GO app and/or your mobile device. You could try to turn on/off the screen using the push button on the top of the screen that may unfreeze/return the screens unresponsiveness, but I think this would only wake up the screen if it had gone to "sleep mode". I think the only option to restart/reboot the DJI GO app on the Plus remote controller is to switch on/off the controller but this would initiate a RTH through signal loss. It would be better to fly the aircraft back home yourself in this instance.

If there is no way to kill the DJI GO app without restarting the remote controller, then your bird would lose the remote controller signal after 3 seconds and RTH would be auto initiated. I don't have a P4P+ remote controller yet, so I'm not sure if there is a way to work around that issue.

Thank you. That was what my assumption was since it would not have a signal.
Hopefully after a quick restart/reboot of the controller it would automatically reconnect to the bird and I'd regain control?
This issues is the exact thing I was worried about by having the built in tablet.
Hopefully it was a freak deal and won't happen again.
I've contacted DJI support via email to see what they say.
Thanks for the prompt reply and help.
I've not even taken it for it's maiden voyage (high winds/rain) and I hope it works OK when I do put her up in the air!

Yes, but David is referring to the P4P+ remote controller where you are unable to just restart the DJI GO app and/or your mobile device. You could try to turn on/off the screen using the push button on the top of the screen that may unfreeze/return the screens unresponsiveness, but I think this would only wake up the screen if it had gone to "sleep mode". I think the only option to restart/reboot the DJI GO app on the Plus remote controller is to switch on/off the controller but this would initiate a RTH through signal loss. It would be better to fly the aircraft back home yourself in this instance.

Yes, you are correct, the button on the top of the screen just wakes it from sleep if you have screen shutoff timer set. I have mine set for the screen to always be on. It does nothing to actually reboot anything. I tried that at first, holding down, quick press, two presses. Nothing but turning on/off the display screen.
:-(

Reactions: PhantomPhilip
It really sucks that I've not even flown it yet and during setup on a brand new bird I get a lockup and app crash.
We'll see what DJI says but if I have any issues at all I might return it and get the one without the screen and buy the high brightness screen later on they are coming out with. All the firmware is the latest as I just received it Wed and the DJI app says firmware is all up to date.
Wish me luck!

Reactions: PhantomPhilip
Hopefully after a quick restart/reboot of the controller it would automatically reconnect to the bird and I'd regain control?
If the remote controller signal reconnects after a reboot, you'd have to cancel RTH by pressing the button on the front of the remote controller. If you do nothing, your Phantom will continue to fly back to the home point.

If the remote controller signal reconnects after a reboot, you'd have to cancel RTH by pressing the button on the front of the remote controller. If you do nothing, your Phantom will continue to fly back to the home point.
Excellent, thank you for the info. That is was I was hoping but still reading/learning. I downloaded the quick start guide and complete owners manual onto a flash drive, then took it to Kinkos/FedEx and printed everything out on 3 hole paper, put in a nice binder so I'll have a real manual to read and refer too and tag pages of interest.
The forums are great sources of info as most of the time real world experiences, failures, good and bad help tell the real story.
Especially since everything is made in China now days and sometimes there translations are not the best.
Thanks again!

It really sucks that I've not even flown it yet and during setup on a brand new bird I get a lockup and app crash.
We'll see what DJI says but if I have any issues at all I might return it and get the one without the screen and buy the high brightness screen later on they are coming out with. All the firmware is the latest as I just received it Wed and the DJI app says firmware is all up to date.
Wish me luck!

I have had the DJI GO App freeze/lock up on my P4P+ when I have been tinkering around with settings in the comfort of my home in an effort to learn as much as possible to save time out in the field. I put it down to too much tinkering that you wouldn't normally do while you are flying so I haven't worried too much about it.
Good luck.

I have had the DJI GO App freeze/lock up on my P4P+ when I have been tinkering around with settings in the comfort of my home in an effort to learn as much as possible to save time out in the field. I put it down to too much tinkering that you wouldn't normally do while you are flying so I haven't worried too much about it.
Good luck.

Thanks! That's good to hear!
Now I feel a little better about taking her up for the first flight tomorrow or Sunday! I was worried it would lock up if I changed anything while in flight. It only did it when I was tinkering around with the settings in the house also.
So you've not had yours lock up when actually flying?

I am referring to the Phantom 4 Pro+ that has the built in screen and there is no option to restart the app. It launches automatically when I power up the controller. I am not using a mobile device.
The only control on the built in Android tablet is a sleep/wake button on the tablet. There were no responses to touch at all on the screen and all I could do is totally power off the whole controller to start over.
I thought it wasn't out yet?

They have been in stock in a few places for about a week or two. Ordered mine Monday from B&H and it was delivered Wed.
The other day B&H photo video had in stock as well as Advexure.com and Florida Drone Supply
You'd have to call each place to see what actual in stock is as the websites don't update as quickly as they sell out fast.

When I spoke w/ B&H on the phone their website was still saying coming soon but they had a shipment coming in with 20 left after they filled their pre orders so I jumped on it.

A fellow pilot I know received his a couple of weeks ago. The screen is very nice, but in situations like the OP experienced, it can be a little tricky.

Thanks! That's good to hear!
Now I feel a little better about taking her up for the first flight tomorrow or Sunday! I was worried it would lock up if I changed anything while in flight. It only did it when I was tinkering around with the settings in the house also.
So you've not had yours lock up when actually flying?

There is an interesting thread over on the DJI Forums here My 4 Pro+ screen froze 3 times
It seems like you can reboot the app by holding the top button on the screen down until it reboots - no need to switch off controller. Never had my screen/app lock up in flight though. I assume you would still have manual control of aircraft using the sticks?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers