What can I expect flying low over water?

Reaction score
I am going to be doing a lot of filming close to the water (5' - 10' over surface of water). Some specific questions:

1. Can I expect to hover accurately 5' - 10' above the water (in P-GPS)?
2. Should I definitely turn off VPS at this height?
3. Any other tips?

1. Yes, keep at 10'
2. Yes
3. You might need filter to avoid glares, find a safe place to land or be ready for hand catch

General recommendation is leave VPS off. You will presumably have GPS lock. It might be that if the vps canera sees moving water the phantom may have conflicting inputs from vps, gps, compass and accelerometer with an unpredictable and probably undersirable outcome.

Read threads on altitude accuracy. Your craft will likely hold it's altitude very well, but if you lose visual sight do not depend on the altitude numbers on your tablet... err to to the HIGHER if making altitude adjustments with lost visual contact

hmmm
shark-attack_o_GIFSoup.com.gif

I flow over the ocean mostly, as I go out I find I get pretty nervous under 20 feet. I once had my altimeter off by that amount...it was a windy day but ever since then I have been much more nervous. It was showing the phantom was still 20 feet up when I landed. I usually fly at 15 feet when I am filming surfers...not sure I would go any lower....so far I have left VPS on, but I think turning it off is good advice and I probably would if I went lower than 10 feet....

A lot depends on how far out you will be. I've flown many times over rivers, the sea and lakes at about head height. Makes for some great footage. But you really need to be able to physically see the phantom to determine the actual height above the water - I wouldn't be relying upon the altitude on the screen.

If you're within a few hundred metres, you should physically be able to see the phantom and determine its height above the drink. If you're over a kilometre out, you've no chance. So it really depends.

This one had some low shots (excuse the effects, it was a test clip experimenting with FCPX effects)

And this one was filmed at about a mile out - hence the height being maintained as the phantom was invisible at that distance.

Beware of hazy days. I was flying relatively low one day from a hill above. For the life of me I could not get a visual because my quad was lost in the grey of the ocean. It was not even that far away. Had to bring it up to a LOS above the horizon.

I fly almost exclusively over water/ice with VPS on/off. I can't see any difference so I just leave it on always.

I like to get at water level with the tree line across the lake a Kilometer or more away giving me the contrast to see the bird above the lake/ice level.

Just stay higher than normal the first few times as one can get weird airflows down a lake or across a bay causing a severe drop/rise in altitude while holding a hover.

I fly almost always over the Adriatic sea. VPS always on since I have a lot less worry over water. Nobody's head, roof or car to hit if there's a failure. The other thing to expect is that often better distances can be achieved. Flying under 120 meters over water is just about the safest place anyone can fly a phantom.

Reactions: Grae
I have a very bright taillight made from the innards of an LED torch, fed from the main battery supply & mounted on a strip of fibreglass pcb substrate to the lhs if the battery. That makes it much easier to see!

I just watched that lighthouse video. That was some of the most annoying and cheesy music I've ever heard.

A lot depends on how far out you will be. I've flown many times over rivers, the sea and lakes at about head height. Makes for some great footage. But you really need to be able to physically see the phantom to determine the actual height above the water - I wouldn't be relying upon the altitude on the screen.

If you're within a few hundred metres, you should physically be able to see the phantom and determine its height above the drink. If you're over a kilometre out, you've no chance. So it really depends.

This one had some low shots (excuse the effects, it was a test clip experimenting with FCPX effects)

And this one was filmed at about a mile out - hence the height being maintained as the phantom was invisible at that distance.

Turn off VPS.

You should be fine.
Exactly what I was about to say.

This is very important or you could lose your bird in the water and it aint water-proof.

That first one shows off some serious potential for MTV style fast cut editing. I was impressed. A couple pointers but your natural ability is quite apparent.

Last edited by a moderator:

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj