Flying over water

Hello all. I'm a professional photographer, had my P$P v2 for about a year. I've been wanting to get some shots flying over water and have done so a little, but I have to admit it makes me nervous. What tips can you provide to ensure a safe flight and great photos and video. I live near Lake Michigan so would consider that but so far just small inland lades and ponds. Any advice is appreciated. Thank you!

Haven't seen this point mentioned, and probably won't affect you right now, given it is getting cold up your way, however, in the summer months, you will need to factor in convective currents. Down here in Florida, it is a thing, lol. Basically when flying from warm/hot air over cooler air the drone will descend due to the cold air currents taking a downward turn.

In the video I did below, the first clip under the pedestrian bridge, clear shows convective currents at work on my Phantom 4 Pro+. Being used to it, I didn't panic... Hope that info helps...well, at least in the summer for you!

It is a mystery where this fear of flying over water came from.
The only difference is that you probably will not be able to get the drone if it by any reason falls down. It will be a crack if it falls down on the land anyway so the final result is practically the same.
Well, there is a difference only if the fall was due to the malfunction of the system. Having no drone you won't be able to get the other one from DJI.
The so called issues of sensors inaccuracy over water can be of some relevance only if you fly very low that is a few feet over the water. But it probably will not go into the water by itself. Probably it may not react properly to the water surface as an obstacle and prevent landing. But this would be a pilot error anyway.
For me flying over water is even easier as there are usually no obstacles like trees, power lines, antenna towers, etc.
The fear is tied to Murphy's Law. I've not had a mechanical failure in 5 or 6 years and 2 Phantoms, but I know full well that if and when I do, it's going to be over water or out over a 3,000-foot cliff or something like that. It's a very logical and understandable fear.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl