Wet suit for phantom 4 , yes or no

Reaction score
Has anyone try the wetsuit from www.phantomrain.org and would you trust your £1000 drone in the rain with the wetsuit, looking for some feed back on these questions below.

1. Has anyone got it on there phantom and is it good or have they encountered any problems with the suit.
2.How easy is it to put on your phantom.
3. Have you had in light & heavy rain.
4. Would you recommend it yes or no?

Love to see photos & videos dof who have this wetsuit on there phantom.

Just trying to decide whether to get the wetsuit as I live in Ireland and it is always raining!!

Without independent/ 3rd party testing your just buying a rubber wrap based on manufacturer claims.

All the holes are (and must) still remain exposed to water.

One drop on the lens and the remaining video is done along with possible delayed consequences from water exposure.

The Phantom is not intended to be operated in the rain. I fail to see how current ‘bolt-on’ offerings change that.

Reactions: David Kraft
Nope me either! I thought about a scattered or pop up shower that sometimes happen in northeast MS but since I’m an avid ham Radio operator and weather spotter I keep up with all active or potential weather threats. This allows me to stay aware of these rain events. That said I still won’t fly my Phantom 4 anytime even light rain because of what damage can be done to it. Therefore I don’t need any sort of rain protection but if someone was determined to fly near rainfall the rain suit I looked at would be a good idea to have and properly fitted, use!

I'm waiting to see a Phantom drop due to rain wetness. It's been almost five years. Still waiting.

Kinda reminds me of a high Kp index. Lots of sensible and technically sound reasons to stay grounded. Lots of fright. People fly anyway. Nothing ever happens.

Reactions: David Kraft
I'm waiting to see a Phantom drop due to rain wetness. It's been almost five years. Still waiting.

Kinda reminds me of a high Kp index. Lots of sensible and technically sound reasons to stay grounded. Lots of fright. People fly anyway. Nothing ever happens.
I'm a expert on wet p3s. I put one under water for 1 1/2 hours. Battery failed because of DJI electronics. Cells were good and battery would light up. No charge. Another time 3 days under a falls. Camera still working , gimbal still doing dance and drones does startup. Battery swelled up. Checked drone with charger and said, not DJI battery. It may work or not. No more batteries.

Reactions: Mark The Droner
flying in the rain is gonna get your craft in trouble...

Something like this might actually save your craft in the event of a water landing...
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Last edited:
This may even be better...

Reactions: Darkdawson
Look at this 'liqui-pel' stuff...

Some kind of coating you put inside and out...

Personally, I'm going with the pool noodle...

I tried the pool noodle thing a couple years ago. Doesn't work well. AC flips over too easily on landing and the added weight is a problem during flight. If that's not enough, it also wants to VRS on you.

I saw stuff on YouTube that repelled water. It made water look like marbles on steel. Sprayed it on a cloth glove on your hands and dip it water. Then put your hands on a paper towel and it was dry. That stuff might be great on a drone if it didn’t eat up the plastic. I don’t know what it was because I had to turn the sound down. My wife was on the phone.

We made 8 separate videos on how to install the Phantom Rain Wet Suit.

We created a very clever way for the Wet Suit to be perfectly centered when putting it on one of the Phantom 4 Series of Drones.

Taking it off is just peel and stick with residue being taken off with some goo gone.

So its perfect protection for your drone and provides impact protection which can save your drone from being cracked on impact.

Those that think a drop of rain on the lens ruins video is not correct. The camera has a quick drop down on the lens using the c1 key that can get rid of any drops on the lens . If the winds are severe than you keep the cam pointed straight down.

Filming with the lens at a 45 Degree angle can get you some good clean footage as we show on several videos.

One of the first thing that should not be to difficult to understand is because the Battery is not an air tight fit , rain water goes directly into the battery within just minutes in a heavy pour. Next time you get caught in a heave pour pull the battery and you will see water inside and on-top of the battery,

We utilize the the Perimeter of the Wet Suit to give you a very clever air tight seal , this makes the battery much more Water Resistant.

The next threat that is really easy to see are the vents on the side of the drone take in water very quickly as the water slides down the drone into those vents on the side.
Yes the drone can handle some water in those vents and continue to fly but than because the water gets in that way you than need to dry the Drone to get the water out or it will cause damage.

The Wetsuit provides the side vents with the protection it needs so that water cannot flow thru those side vents but rather the Water flow off over the drone, we did this by creating a Bi - Level system with the Wet Suit, think of it like a roof over hang.

The 8 Vents on the bottom of the Drone wings rarely take in water as they are on the bottom of the drone and DJI created the honey comb affect inside making it even harder for rain to get in the drone.

We improved upon those 8 vents by creating a Water Run Off , because thanks to gravity rains falls downward so it was easy to protect the vents without having to seal them at all.

The next threat was the Gimbal Ring as Horizontal rain can get inside quickly so we created a seal for that , less than 1mm thin so the gimbal would not be affected. . it also protected the drone from sinking in the water so quickly.

Many people have pointed out that the DJI Phantom on its own was already made to be water resistant and we have simply improved upon that and added a few extra precautions.

There should really be nothing to argue about that fact .

For all those that make money with there drone, its a game changer.

Its a protective suit that weighs less than 3.5 oz and is going to allow you get in and out of a lot more adventures .

ADVENTURE BEGINS.jpg

Coal Akida
Phantomrain. org

One drop on lens is a trip back to wipe off. Personal experience speaking.
Tilting the camera down to remove or prevent is a crap-shoot. Not a guarantee.
Please post videos confirming or correcting this notion.

Reactions: Mark The Droner
One drop on lens is a trip back to wipe off. Personal experience speaking.
Tilting the camera down to remove or prevent is a crap-shoot. Not a guarantee.
Please post videos confirming or correcting this notion.

I will wait for the next rain to purposely get some drops on but , this video givez you some idea for now as to how it can film in the rain.

Note: This was the first time I was able fly near the telephone wires and not get the magnetic interference warning. Latter that day we hovered near 25 minutes in heavy winds with good position hold.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.