Wet suit for phantom 4 , yes or no

I
Has anyone try the wetsuit from www.phantomrain.org and would you trust your £1000 drone in the rain with the wetsuit, looking for some feed back on these questions below.

1. Has anyone got it on there phantom and is it good or have they encountered any problems with the suit.
2.How easy is it to put on your phantom.
3. Have you had in light & heavy rain.
4. Would you recommend it yes or no?

Love to see photos & videos dof who have this wetsuit on there phantom.

Just trying to decide whether to get the wetsuit as I live in Ireland and it is always raining!!

I bought one before I left for Africa..just in case I might have important enough footage to risk the flight into rain and have a bit more resistance to a problem.

It looks well made and is very light so for those of you that might get caught in a shower or want to fly in wet spray like conditions could be a bit of extra protection..

However....there are some other risks we need to evaluate before take off into rain..like... Will I really be in visual flight conditions (VFR)...? If you lose sight of the drone and can't see out of the camera, will you even feel safe navigating back home just using the map.

Not saying you can't just bringing yet another consideration to whether the drone gets wet or not..lol..

As I mentioned for those pilots that fly alot in spray/mist conditions as I have had to do for some industrial clients, these suits are a nice extra level of protection if not perfect water resistance..the one I bought is Not perfect by any means...but none of them are a substitute for good judgement...

I'd like to see a side by side vid, one p with the wetsuit, one without, heavy rain, 15 mins

US TO : Notice we had to film at 3:00 am just to get the longest storm we have had in a long time. Today was a piss poor rain all day could not even see it on video. The weather is something we struggle with but we got some ideas.

Until than this will have to do. No rice needed says volumes.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

it weighs 3.5 ounces for the entire Wet Suit . That includes the new Surge Ring which is now .5 mm for a tighter seal around the gimbal ring.
We were told when we started by the DJI team that we needed to keep the weight down as low as possible so it would not be flagged by them.

We originally started with a rubber like material but found that it was just to heavy.
We also made a version that covered the entire drone but that did not work well as the smooth service just acted like a slide for the water.
Once we saw that , we created the Bi Level system and took much of the weight out of it.

The rest was just semantics and finding a clever way to seal that battery area , which was the biggest standing weak spot and the sides of the unit.

Thank You
coal
Phantomrain.org

Again impressive. so how long will the P4 float before going down? I am here in Florida surrounded by water.

So once in the water, assuming no waves crashing down into it we have extended its life span from 10 seconds about 25 seconds before you cannot fly out and it starts to flip on its back.

I would like to have a wetsuit forP3

We are testing some proto types now , we will keep the Phantom 3 Community posted.
Are number 1 concern on the Phantom 3 is the Camera as it is not the same camera as on the Phantom 4 and thus not as water resistant but we may have a clever fix for that coming soon. Thank you

I own a phantom 4 pro.
I bought the wet suit, not because I intentionally want to fly in the rain, but as a precaution in case the rain comes suddenly when I'm flying a long distance away and won't be able to land soon.
I'm a bit skeptical because the wet suit material tears very easily if you're not careful and the majority of the suit covers areas where there are no openings. The adhesive don't hold too well especially on the legs. It manages to block some of the cooling vents, especially by the motors and underneath near the sensors.
I'll be flying in the dry season when the weather is hot. I won't be taking off the suit in hot weather and replacing it in the rainy season. I'm afraid the partial blocking of the vents will create a problem.
When I had the phantom 1 and was flying over the sea, rain started to drizzle. I flew back immediately. What I observed was that there was a vortex of water caused by the props, because they were spinning in opposite directions, and also a couple droplets on the lens. I didn't see this in the video that was shown to us, maybe it's because of the different heights of the props and camera on these new models.
I'm yet to get caught in the rain with my wet suit, but I'm not anxious.

Last edited:
Thank you for your concerns: We are aware of the Legs not taking to the adhesion as well being that they have to wrap around that they do require a bit of spray adhesive, which we show and mention on the Video Instructional Series.

The Neoprene is 1.5 mm as to keep the weight down to 3 ounces for the entire setup so you do need to tapp it on carefully with your finger and not pull on the neoprene being that it is closed cell to keep it waterproof.

As Noted we offer 100% guaranteed install so if you do make a mistake we send you out the new part, so your in good hands.

We have sold thousands of Wet Suits now and have posted quite a few videos of the Wet Suit is a downpour, we will try to make another one with camera more focused on the Props for you.

As far as the Hot Weather goes, we have tested it in over 110 degree weather and only noticed a 10 degree raise in motor and battery temps, nothing of concern has been reported and we have sold all over the world now.. in some very hot areas...

Sales phantomrain.rog .png

Yes there have been some changes we made over the last year: We moved to a thinner neoprene 1.5 for the legs and for the Surge mask bringing the weight down to 3.2 ounces.

The Surge mask was added to stop the drone from sinking so quickly when entering the water. We found that once the drone submerges into the water and flips upside down , than all chances of lifting off are gone.

The Surge mask gives you a few more minutes to work with to get it back in the air if possible.

The Battery Covers have nothing to do with the actual Seal of the battery , as the Seal is built into the Wet Suit itself , so no matter how many batteries you have they all get seated the same way.

This is a close up of the Battery Seal , so you can see if you look closely you can see the Permiter of the battery and indent that is made when the battery is sealed in.

So the Focus is on keeping the Battery Secure and Sealed keeping the water out using adhesion, and pressure.
The Props use the same type of concept , adhesion and pressure to keep the Water out.

Screen Shot 2018-07-24 at 2.46.23 PM.png

The Battery Covers protect the actual battery themselves and are not part of the battery Seal.

The newest color is the Neon Blue and Black that was added a few weeks ago. Red and Black and Neon Blue are now the most popular colors.

The Neon Blue is featured below with the Newer Props with a lower frequency. Thank you for your interest.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic