Went to a concert yesterday and could not believe what I saw

OP, how do we even know the drone wasn't flown by someone who was asked by the band to record their performance?

My believe it's that "someone" should have say "No" it's not safe, while you can take measures there is always the risk of technical problems, maybe someone from the public throwing an object to the drone and locking propeller, as a live event could be last minute changes on the placement of objects on the fly path that can not be seen in low light, even something as simple as someone bumping on the operator can create a couple of seconds of distraction or pushing the stick on the wrong direction... The members of the band can be aware of the unit flying around and be alert of it but the crowd not.

Really??????

I have seen this before from the PRODUCTION COMPANY recording the show live. I have seen now police using them, fire departments using them and people on a cruise ship using them. EVERYONE flies over people, including the aircraft over my house right now. Over people is a stupid statement. Over a stadium of sitting people you could cause damage with on purpose ,,, not cool.

While I agree that this appears unorthodox, there may be more at play here. It's possible the operator has appropriate insurance. Would be interested to know the whole story.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app
The whole story would be there is not a company in the world that will insure against this. This could kill someone if it came down amongst the people.

OP, how do we even know the drone wasn't flown by someone who was asked by the band to record their performance?

With that being said, there has never been any helicopter or airplane crashes? People don't drive at 40mph within feet of pedestrians walking on sidewalks in NYC? A stage has never collapsed during a performance? Let's get real here everyone needs to get over themselves. An accident can happen with any technology at any time.

I'd be a lot more concerned with manual < $100 quads flying over my head than any smart drones.
I cant believe anyone has an attitude like you. Amazing.

This is about as blatant a violation of both the FAA regs, AND COMMON SENSE I have ever seen!

Guys, let there be no mistake. What we are flying is four sets of high-speed razor blades, and should anyone be flying one in this manner, and someone gets hurt OR KILLED in the process, --------You willing to get a charge of negligent homicide to get this kind of picture?

I agree that I would not want any drone flying near me while enjoying a concert.
However, I wonder if a "tethered" drone would be more acceptable (from a legal POV) and the tether could also provide continuous power.
Just thinking out loud.

What harm is there in flying a large Inspire directly over a crowd of people.... it's not like it could ever fall and hit the people under it....

It does not matter if the band/host allowed it to be flown (it appears this way) of if they had insurance... there is no question, it's reckless flying and I feel the FAA should fine the flier. It's the only way to let people know that this is 100% unacceptable flying and should not be condoned.

Reactions: Myetkt
I agree that I would not want any drone flying near me while enjoying a concert.
However, I wonder if a "tethered" drone would be more acceptable (from a legal POV) and the tether could also provide continuous power.

How to keep the tether away from the props? At that point of engineering, just suspend a camera mount on a wire such as they do in NFL games (much less elaborate though).

There's enough footage of pilots behaving badly. It only gets press when the craft flies into an object or crashes on someone. (Looks like he gambled and won that round).

Must have been a mature crowd. No one was throwing bottles to knock it down.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Guys, let there be no mistake. What we are flying is four sets of high-speed razor blades, and should anyone be flying one in this manner, and someone gets hurt OR KILLED in the process, --------You willing to get a charge of negligent homicide to get this kind of picture?

Guys, let there be no mistake. What we are driving are four sets of wheels with tires on them carrying a 3300lbs car at 200mph, and should anyone ever be driving it near people, and someone gets hurt or KILLED in the process, -------- You're willing to get a charge of negligent homicide to get this kind of picture?

0224697001444920132_filepicker.jpg

Last edited:
If you took that news to mean "for all drone operators", you would be wrong.
I didn't. In fact I was reading the recommendations submitted Friday before last on the different categories and reliabilty requirements.

Really??????

Flew a Harley rally and was asked specifically to fly at night for the wet T-shirt contest with band playing behind. However I declined because I don't drink and drone. Got lots of good day shots though.

Reactions: Ramphex
Guys, let there be no mistake. What we are driving are four sets of wheels with tires on them carrying a 3300lbs car at 200mph, and should anyone ever be driving it near people, and someone gets hurt or KILLED in the process, -------- You're willing to get a charge of negligent homicide to get this kind of picture?

0224697001444920132_filepicker.jpg
Idiot response. No comparison to flying for a shot over a race vs low level immediately over the top of a crowd. And I guarantee you, (as a professional pilot) the FAA will LOVE to get involved if you have an accident. Hanging you would be exactly in line with their current desire to regulate all of us LEGAL OPERATORS into oblivion.

Last edited:
No FAA in Canada :)
Still gotta to use common sense and good manners though.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4