Went to a concert yesterday and could not believe what I saw

When it falls from 2-3' above my head on me what kind of damage are we taliking about?Seems to me multiple lacerations to myself and maybe anyone standing close to me.

When the stage collapses and puts 10-20-30 people into the hospital..... when a driver drops an items and reaches down under the seat to get it and runs over 5 pedestrians..... when, when, when, when, when, it doesn't matter. You can sit there and come up with hypothetical situations about ANYTHING happening there that day but at the end of the day, everything is fine, everyone is safe, no one got injured and there's really nothing to complain about.

Yeah well as a Phantom 3 owner I am still not comfortable with a drone literally inches above my head and if I found such drone owner I would bloody the c-nt and send his *** to the ER.

That statement is an embarrassment to drone owners. You should be ashamed of yourself. Wanting to hurt others, bloody them and send them to the ER? You shouldnt be allowed to own a drone.

Reckless
adjective
  1. (of a person or their actions) without thinking or caring about the consequences of an action.
  2. flying a drone within a few feet of people's heads at a public gathering.

looks like it was probably a commissioned job. can also see a fella in the crowd with an osmo. that being said, if I was at a concert, I'd definitely be more comfortable with someone filming with an osmo on a stick rather than a multi-rotor above me.

This drone started to land just behind the crowd towards the end of this video. It surely looked like it was supposed to be there.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Reactions: peterepeat69
[In general] Whenever you go to an event, liability disclaimers are more often than not laid out on the back of your ticket stub. You go at your own risk; Sports especially. We accept that. As this trend continues, you will see more and more of it. Being properly insured is going to be paramount.

This operator was too close to the crowd imo but that's not my call. Speakers didn't fall, scaffolding didn't tip over and some idiot didn't jump up on stage and punch out a band member. A good night I'd say.

Now pass me that beer please. I need something to cool off my typing finger... Thanks for reading

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Reactions: Ramphex
Nothing wrong with that pro drones I've seen at many events like public New Year's Eve parties they are becoming an integral part of video photography, infact you can see yourself on the big screen at these events, no bad name a GOOD name as a drone owner.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Some really good points here. I too initially thought, WTF? But again some good points were made; Maybe the Operator was hired by the event promoter or the band to be there and film. If its a professional, then they are more confident in their ability to pilot that bird. More so than I would feel comfortable doing being that close people (overhead) and facing the band.

Guess we need all the facts before we rush to judge...

Remember that skier that was almost discombobulated by a UAV? The operator was a 'professional'. It was clearly a 'professional' drone and yet it nearly brained the guy.

The Inspire driver was a compleat idiot. He was low enough that someone could have grabbed it (and hurt themselves, see the bozo singer above). One good wind gust and the people below him have new tattoos. If you've ever seen a crane or boom cam at a public event, they block off space around them so people can't interact with the machinery no matter what happens. That's just safety 101.

Drones flying over parties is never a smart idea. If you are involved in a professional venue - go ahead and ask your insurance risk manager what they think. Assuming you carry insurance.

And no, accepting risk in a venue does not negate the need for risk management and liability.

I'd be a lot more concerned with manual < $100 quads flying over my head than any smart drones.

I'd worry more about a 2 kg Inspire with the nice, stiff props more so than a 100 gram X-4.

Regardless of the opinions here, it is currently illegal to fly over crowds, especially if you have your commercial license.
This is about to change, but there will still be rules and conditions attached.

The Federal Aviation Administration currently prohibits most commercial drone flights over populated areas, especially crowds. That ban frustrates a host of industries that want to take advantage of the technology.

Move to OK commercial drone flights over people

Inspire props are dangerous. Enrique's graphic demonstration a year ago made that clear. I doubt the operator had a 333 or license as they would lose both by doing this. If I were there, I would politely ask them to stop. Even with a notice of filming, you cannot create undue risk in the process. If they refused, I would ask police and fire to step in. If that doesn't work, collect evidence, report them to the local FSDO.

And proposed changes for flying over people aren't going to open up any changes soon. DJI's flaky product will take years of reliability enhancement and testing to get certified.

I have seen way worse things at a concert during Bike Week. lol

Things that needed eye bleach.........

Reactions: Sabalon
Based on the way the performer ignored it, I'm guessing it was a paid and authorized photographer. Still seems reckless that close to the crowd though.

It looked to me as though at one point one of the performers looked at it and pointed, then threw something right at it as if to discourage the operator or chase it away. I just can't believe how right up in their faces they got. Somehow I don't think it was authorized. Then again they didn't really say anything.

I find it amusing that a lot of the people who act like drones are extremely dangerous to anyone or anything below their flight path are the same people that will lay into someone saying when a post is made about having a fly away...

I would imagine you're more likely to be shot by your dog while getting ready for the concert than getting injured by a drone while there...

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4