WARNING REGARDS LATEST FIRMWARE! LOSS OF MOTOR PWR IN FLIGHT

Re: WARNING REGARDS LATEST FIRMWARE! LOSS OF MOTOR PWR IN FL

I noticed with 2.0 I still had power remaining with full throttle when the battery indicator displayed 0%. Before 2.0 the percentage would be at 2%-5% and there was not enough power to keep it in the air.

race3 said:
I have a Phantom 2 Vision. I'm an experienced flyer and have been using it regularly since the Phantom 2 Vision came out, so many months ago. I have flown often and have good control and do not take many risks.

Today I updated to the latest 3.0 firmware. It's a normal weather day, clear with a slight wind. I went flying after doing the firmware update... flying well above open ground with no obstacles nearby. After about 5 minutes of flying, the motors simply stopped mid flight and the copter dropped to the ground, shattering the camera and blades. I could see this easily, because I was standing on my roof top balcony and the copter was at eye level, but still about 100 feet above ground. It landed in a parking lot.

I was frankly shocked... since nothing like this has happened after months of use... but it happened just after doing a firmware update. I have regularly updated the firmware, so i was only upgrading from the previous version.

I'm trying to reach DJI, but they have a very long wait time on the phone. I need the machine for a trip i'm taking in just a few days.

Has anyone had anything happen like this before? Any thoughts on how to deal with this?

thanks.

I think it might be a firmware issue. Given the fact, dji has a track record of releasing firmware with bugs. Check this thread out viewtopic.php?f=7&t=12140

The last couple of flights I've had problems on start up: with a fresh 100% battery, the app will say 23% or whatever and immediately start with the alarm. Reseating the battery has fixed it both times. Maybe have to clean the contacts. Both batteries I had this with have done over 40 flights, and were discharged to 8% after 20 flights and 40. I am on V2.0 firmware - never saw this problem before, but it could easily be dirty contacts (although they look perfect). Have not ever had a loss of power in flight though (and have not tried V3.0 yet).

Thanks all for your replies. This is either a firmware bug on the latest version, or my battery has some problem that was unknown and caused a complete powerless. I know the power was loss mid air, because the iPhone app shows loss of signal with the last picture frame being in air right before it fell.

IF it was the battery, there was no way to know, as it showed fully charged before the flight. I have 2 remaining batteries and now I'm worried about using those if this thing can just "shut off" mid flight. But I still think it's a firmware issue with 3.0.

I had a lot of confidence in this machine before, even though I always flew responsibly. But seeing how this just shut off in the air and could have hit someone on the ground, really has caused me to lose confidence about flying above people, parking lots, cars, etc.

Also surprising, is that on the phone, DJI claims they will charge for any repairs, EVEN if the crash was the result of a manufacturer malfunction! That's just ridiculous.

race3, I had the same experience about a week ago with a P2, H3-2d, Gopro (see my post "Known cause/explanation for sudden vertical drop/crash?" at viewtopic.php?f=5&t=11802&hilit=known ). I had not updated to the latest software because folks were having so many problems. A couple of other people chimed in on that thread that they also had the same experience.

My hypothesis is more about a bad solder joint between the main board and the power supply. My battery had 58% and was on when I retrieved the P2. However, the motors stopped mid-flight and I could NOT power up afterwards. In earlier threads on this forum someone had warned people about bad solder joints that they found when they opened their P2's. However, I did NOT open my P2 to inspect since I am not a DIY electronics person. It is very unnerving and like you, I had already followed the same flight just prior to the session when the motors just stopped mid-flight without any warning/explanation.

Is it a battery issue? A quality manufacturing issue?

Jezabel said:
race3, I had the same experience about a week ago with a P2, H3-2d, Gopro (see my post "Known cause/explanation for sudden vertical drop/crash?" at viewtopic.php?f=5&t=11802&hilit=known ). I had not updated to the latest software because folks were having so many problems. A couple of other people chimed in on that thread that they also had the same experience.

My hypothesis is more about a bad solder joint between the main board and the power supply. My battery had 58% and was on when I retrieved the P2. However, the motors stopped mid-flight and I could NOT power up afterwards. In earlier threads on this forum someone had warned people about bad solder joints that they found when they opened their P2's. However, I did NOT open my P2 to inspect since I am not a DIY electronics person. It is very unnerving and like you, I had already followed the same flight just prior to the session when the motors just stopped mid-flight without any warning/explanation.

Is it a battery issue? A quality manufacturing issue?

Thanks Jezabel. That could very well be the issue, i don't know. As it was falling, i tried to quickly restart the motors by pulling both sticks together but it had so effect. There was zero power whatsoever. I wish DJI would listen to these particular experiences more closely... they didn't take anything I said via phone seriously and no one has gotten back to me as requested. It's a serious issue, especially a dangerous one if people were below who could be hit.

Race, they will listen if someone gets killed or seriously injured and it can be proven it was a manufacturing issue that caused it...... remember they do have a service center in this country so they are vulnerable to legal action. Hope they too have great product liability insurance. They have the same product accountability as a foreign car, boat, truck, or whatever.....

race3, it is an awful feeling and I was in complete disbelief when it happened. I sent my set up back to dealer since one time I spent an hour waiting for DJI on their phone line and while I waited I managed to read about a solution on this thread (about the camera pointing down in the gimbal,etc) and hung up. I have seen responses that members shared on this forum that DJI suggests working with the dealer on problems (and the dealer works with them or something like that). I had already contacted my dealer about the camera/gimbal issue and they had no clue on what was happening. Sort of feels like DJI doing a run-around and not taking responsibility for these malfunctions.

Jezabel said:
race3, it is an awful feeling and I was in complete disbelief when it happened. I sent my set up back to dealer since one time I spent an hour waiting for DJI on their phone line and while I waited I managed to read about a solution on this thread (about the camera pointing down in the gimbal,etc) and hung up. I have seen responses that members shared on this forum that DJI suggests working with the dealer on problems (and the dealer works with them or something like that). I had already contacted my dealer about the camera/gimbal issue and they had no clue on what was happening. Sort of feels like DJI doing a run-around and not taking responsibility for these malfunctions.

My dealer is B&H. I called them but they said since it's more than 30 days i had to go through DJI. DJI is really unhelpful so far. But thanks, perhaps i will try again.

This latest series of firmware/software/app problems is an absolute outrage. I'm afraid to put this thing in the air at this point. They're obviously tossing out updates much faster than they can properly test them.

Are they doing most of their testing on the P2V+ ? If it works properly on that platform... ship it? I REALLY hope they put out separate firmware for these two platforms. If they don't... I don't see any end to this horse ****.

If I decide to sell my P2V and go to a different platform... At this point... The only thing I'll miss will be this forum.

I really don't know if I can, in good conscience, put anyone else's health or property in jeopardy by putting this thing up in the air. It's almost as stable as Lindsay Lohan...

-slinger

Gunslinger, I agree that the combination of firmware/App updates that degrade performance is unacceptable. I also agree that there is some fundamental problem with unexplainable motor failure in flight resulting in the P2 dropping like a brick and the crash resulting in significant damage. I share Shrimpfarmer's worry about the possibility that the vibrations of the P2's might be shaking the solder joints loose.

I also agree that this forum has been extremely helpful in solving problems and coming up with solutions and ingenuity. I have noted some folks who have identified themselves with DJI and I wish that they would relay the safety concerns that several of us are worried about in the unreliability of the product (firmware upgrades resulting in unstabilized flight, unexplainable motor failure mid-flight,etc).

Jezabel said:
Gunslinger, I agree that the combination of firmware/App updates that degrade performance is unacceptable. I also agree that there is some fundamental problem with unexplainable motor failure in flight resulting in the P2 dropping like a brick and the crash resulting in significant damage. I share Shrimpfarmer's worry about the possibility that the vibrations of the P2's might be shaking the solder joints loose.

I also agree that this forum has been extremely helpful in solving problems and coming up with solutions and ingenuity. I have noted some folks who have identified themselves with DJI and I wish that they would relay the safety concerns that several of us are worried about in the unreliability of the product (firmware upgrades resulting in unstabilized flight, unexplainable motor failure mid-flight,etc).

+1

gunslinger said:
Jezabel said:

+1

wondering if I would be worth cracking her open and placing 100% silicone glue over all power conections
both on esc' as well as battery lead conections just as a back up and extra hold is case any have cold solder joints
which can net be seen also may help with vibration movement on joints????????? :?: :idea:

Skyhighdiver, I like this idea for those who are comfortable in "cracking it open". One person said that opening the P2 would void the warranty. However, since DJI is so hard to get a hold of maybe a warranty has no value.

It sucks to hear that DJI wants to charge you for repair. Mine fell out of the sky and into a tree and it turned out that one of the solder points from a motor to the main board had failed. They repaired it for free. I also had to send it back in January when I first got it because the camera was defective and the altimeter didn't work. They repaired that for free too. Now I'm waiting for a repair on my transmitter. The S1 switch needed to be replaced because it would intermittently switch between GPS and ATTI. They are repairing that for free too. It has been gone for a month now. So I can't complain much about their service, just the amount of time my Phantom has spent traveling between LA and Colorado and the amount of time I've had to wait on hold to talk to their representatives. I did buy mine directly from DJI so I don't know if that makes a difference or not as to how they handle the repairs. Maybe they have changed their policy since I last needed them, one month ago.

Jezabel said:
Skyhighdiver, I like this idea for those who are comfortable in "cracking it open". One person said that opening the P2 would void the warranty. However, since DJI is so hard to get a hold of maybe a warranty has no value.

I don't think cracking it open will void the warranty. When mine fell out of the sky into a tree I took it home, opened it up, and discovered one of the wires from a motor wasn't soldered to the main board anymore. When I called them I told them this and it seemed like being able to provide that extra information made it easier to process my repair claim. They fixed it for free. I've never had trouble getting a hold of someone from DJI (in LA), you just have to wait on hold forever (1-2 hours in my experience, and I've called 4 times). I just put the phone on speakerphone and do something else while I wait.

It is quite normal for people to charge labour fees for warranty repairs. The parts used for repair should be free though. I think vibration caused the contacts to come loose. That would explain the loss of power to both the motors and your fpv feed.

Jezabel said:

Jez:

Considering how much mayhem the latest updates have caused... I'm not sure I'd be all that concerned about their alleged warranty.

There are probably a bevy of ambulance chasers who could kick back on the couch and raise hell with these guys... considering their obvious disregard for public safety.....

-slinger

The thing that bugs me most is that they don't even seemed concerned about getting the copter back so they can analyze it or try to understand what went wrong. The guy on the phone says "send it back if you'd like, but anything damaged will be charged to repair" and I reiterated over and over to him that this is a problem they need to investigate! I said the investigation was more important to me than having it fixed! I told this to DJI on the phone and they said if I send it back, it should only be so they can fix it... and I kept telling them they should WANT it back!

Can you imagine any other serious company doing this? DJI should practically be paying me for the machine for their own R&D benefit and yet they are acting like they are doing ME a favor. It's really crazy.

I had SO much confidence in this machine after months and months of flying... but I've now lost all of it. I first lost it because of the copter powering off and dropping out of the sky, but any remaining confidence is now disappearing because they aren't taking my information seriously which means they are less likely to solve this problem going forward.

DJI, if by any chance you are reading this... PLEASE reach out to me.

thanks.

Start a petition on here. When you reach a serious number send them the link and open their eyes. We are customers we still have power.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj