VR with the P3S?

M_W

Reaction score
The idea of using VR goggles with my Phantom 3 Standard sounds amazing, but I'm not sure how well it would work. From what I've read, all I would need is a third party app and a set of passive VR goggles. The P3S uses WiFi instead of Lightbridge, so latency could be an issue, but I think it would be fine for just flying around in an unpopulated, open area.

Would passive goggles provide a somewhat immersive experience, or would it basically be like holding the screen up to your face?

If I do decide to try it out, there's the matter of choosing the right app and set of goggles. Litchi seems like the clear choice as far as the app goes, but maybe there's something better, I'm not sure. I think I'd feel safer using Litchi though as opposed to something else, as far as stability goes.

There are a ton of goggles listed on Amazon, here are a few that I think look suitable. I have an iPhone 5S in a LifeProof case, most of them are made to fit larger phones, so I think my iPhone + Case should fit.

---

This one looks really nice and is my favorite so far: https://www.amazon.com/BlitzWolf-He...=1476381306&sr=8-1&keywords=blitzwolf+vr&th=1

https://www.amazon.com/Generation-V...ie=UTF8&qid=1476377373&sr=8-4&keywords=vr+box

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01G69SI70?ref_=ams_ad_dp_asin_1

https://www.amazon.com/VersionTech-...12?ie=UTF8&qid=1476381658&sr=8-12&keywords=vr

---

Has anyone used any of those goggles, or know of some better options for around the same price?

Any helpful feedback would be appreciated. Thanks!

Immersive ?? I'm not so sure.
You will have to take the 1280x720 and divide it in half, one for each eye.

I just did that for the first time today - Immersive Mode. I got a set of $20 goggles from Amazon that nicely cradle my 6SPlus, and I've been using Litchi waypoints for about a week. The FPV experience is quite impressive with my P3S, although I did see some lag as expected. Overall it create quite a sensation of 'being there' as I flew over my house and around the neighborhood just over the treetops, enjoying the ability to turn in any direction and look up and down.

I just did that for the first time today - Immersive Mode. I got a set of $20 goggles from Amazon that nicely cradle my 6SPlus, and I've been using Litchi waypoints for about a week. The FPV experience is quite impressive with my P3S, although I did see some lag as expected. Overall it create quite a sensation of 'being there' as I flew over my house and around the neighborhood just over the treetops, enjoying the ability to turn in any direction and look up and down.
Awesome! Which goggles did you get? I've found a few others that I like that have integrated remotes, speakers, etc. that would be nice to have for other things than just the Phantom.

I just got vr goggles and I'm starting to use litchi with it. I'm hooked seeing the view from the air. I turned on voice notifications even tho heads up display has the same information. I just wish it had a small map or how many satellites I'm hooked to in vr.

Reactions: M_W
Just remember this: "Warning, When using a Phantom 3 Standard or Phantom 3 4K (not to be confused with Phantom 3 Pro), be aware that the aircraft will not return to home automatically if signal is lost while Litchi has some or all control of the aircraft, it will hover instead. The following flight modes are affected: VR with Immersive/Joystick Head Tracking active, Follow, Focus and Track. All other aircraft models and flight modes are unaffected by this issue."

I got these: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01AW76612
They nicely hold my iPhone 6SPlus, and I've been enjoying other VR apps as well.
I have Litchi as well but have only used it for Waypoints and FPV (manual) flight, not VR yet. Question, have you been using the goggles from takeoff to landing? Because since we have the Standard and it uses wifi to connect the device, we can only have one device connected at a time and that would mean no device on the RC to look at or use.

Just remember this: "Warning, When using a Phantom 3 Standard or Phantom 3 4K (not to be confused with Phantom 3 Pro), be aware that the aircraft will not return to home automatically if signal is lost while Litchi has some or all control of the aircraft, it will hover instead. The following flight modes are affected: VR with Immersive/Joystick Head Tracking active, Follow, Focus and Track. All other aircraft models and flight modes are unaffected by this issue."
I'll be sure to keep that in mind. I won't be using it for every flight, especially not at new locations, long distances, etc.

Actually, I might hold off and get a bigger phone just to use with VR along with a better headset like the FreeFlyVR or NoonVR. After looking at some of the headsets that are compatible with 4 inch phones, I'm afraid it would be a major letdown and something that I would probably only use a few times then it would collect dust.

I happened upon the ZTE ZMax Pro from MetroPCS. It's $100 after rebate, 6 inch screen, decent specs, looks almost too good to be true.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic