Video stuttering/jerking

Reaction score
My P3S has a slight juttering when panning in video. It shows up on the sd card as well as the IPad I am flying with. I am filming in 2.7k 24 fps. Anything I can do?

I can but not from my phone,..will have to be this afternoon. I am really new at this so keep that in mind but I thought I had it set to "auto" settings in video??

If you are shooting at 24fps then your shutter speed should be set at 50-60 max, with ISO set at 100 for daytime. Adjust the aperture setting to try and get the exposure meter to "0" or as close as you can without setting it to wide, I try to stay around 5-7. Are you using any ND filters? If you are shooting in "auto" mode the shutter speed will be way to fast most likely.

Reactions: Nitrostick
At first I thought the stutter was coming from my IPad mini 4 not keeping up but when I install the sd card into my laptop and play the video I get the same stutter when panning. Does this confirm it is not a connection or to slow of a tablet issue?

At first I thought the stutter was coming from my IPad mini 4 not keeping up but when I install the sd card into my laptop and play the video I get the same stutter when panning. Does this confirm it is not a connection or to slow of a tablet issue?

It could be that the laptop is not fast enough to play the video smoothly. I would try the SD card in a faster computer and see if there is a difference. I know when I first started out viewing or editing my drone videos I had to buy a new computer with a faster processor (i7) and at least 8gb of memory. (more is better) Also a good video card with dedicated memory.

It could be that the laptop is not fast enough to play the video smoothly. I would try the SD card in a faster computer and see if there is a difference. I know when I first started out viewing or editing my drone videos I had to buy a new computer with a faster processor (i7) and at least 8gb of memory. (more is better) Also a good video card with dedicated memory.

Even on the iPad mini 4??

This is the laptop I am using:

Dell Inspiron i5559-7081SLV 15.6 Inch Touchscreen Laptop (Intel Core i7, 8 GB RAM, 1 TB HDD, Silver Matte) Intel Real Sense and Microsoft Signature Image

The footage you are watching is 2.7K at 24fps but remember almost all of the videos once they are edited and rendered will be 1080HD 24fps. Watching that raw footage off the SD card can be difficult for most computers/ipads.

Nitro, Racer got it right on there for you which was what I figured also. So, to avoid the shutter stutter, it is recommended to be 2x your fps for the shutter speed. I bought filters for mine for that very reason. I also have a P4P now and bought filters for that too for the video. If you have the money for them, check out Amazon and other places to see if you can get a variable ND filter so you can adjust per situation and ongoing changes. I decided on that rather than the $300 PolarPro pack. The variable only cost $100 and I personally really like it.

Here are two examples. The 1st is from last week with my P4P and the variable ND at about ND16.

This second one is from last year with my P3S. Video is 12 minutes long so you can scroll some and see the different sites I was at. ND8 filter I have for it. I set it on 1080p 60fps so I could get the shutter to 120.

And, it could be the sd card. The cards have different output speed capabilities. Try removing the vid from carad to pc and then playback.

If you are shooting at 24fps then your shutter speed should be set at 50-60 max, with ISO set at 100 for daytime. Adjust the aperture setting to try and get the exposure meter to "0" or as close as you can without setting it to wide, I try to stay around 5-7. Are you using any ND filters? If you are shooting in "auto" mode the shutter speed will be way to fast most likely.
Racer, not being a photographer, I just was curious - IN GENERAL - is it better to shoot with faster or slower fps for video quality. Let's say I am using 1080p, is it better to use 24 fps or a higher fps?
Thank you!

Racer, not being a photographer, I just was curious - IN GENERAL - is it better to shoot with faster or slower fps for video quality. Let's say I am using 1080p, is it better to use 24 fps or a higher fps?
Thank you!

Depends on what you are shooting. Most video we see on tv and such is 24 or 30 fps. Shooting at a higher frame rate allows you to slow it down or sped it up without a noticeable affect in quality.

Depends on what you are shooting. Most video we see on tv and such is 24 or 30 fps. Shooting at a higher frame rate allows you to slow it down or sped it up without a noticeable affect in quality.
Thank you. So since I am not interested in post production etc, 24 fps should be just fine, correct?
I am just interested in getting a different view on things, not in making spectacular video. Thanks again!

Thank you. So since I am not interested in post production etc, 24 fps should be just fine, correct?
I am just interested in getting a different view on things, not in making spectacular video. Thanks again!

I shoot almost all of my videos at 30fps so that I can slow down/speed up a clip if I need to, 24fps is fine but why not take advantage of the faster frame speeds, like Nickster said with more frames to work with adjusting the speed has little affect on the quality of the shot. I produce my videos at 1080HD 30fps and it works nice and smoothly.

Here are two examples. The 1st is from last week with my P4P and the variable ND at about ND16.

This second one is from last year with my P3S. Video is 12 minutes long so you can scroll some and see the different sites I was at. ND8 filter I have for it. I set it on 1080p 60fps so I could get the shutter to 120.

Nick - curious what were your settings on the P4P with the ND16? Shutter at double the fps? Your depth of field looked good so I am assuming your aperture was around 7-8? ISO 100 or 200?

Reactions: Nickster

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl