Video settings suggestions

Reaction score
I am very new to the photography/videoephotgraphy setting etc. The video i take seems to be pixelated the settings are set at 1080p 4k h265 30fps i have attached a sample. Just trying to get that smooth real clear videos everyone posts.
Is there a suggested set of setting to get video that looks as real as it does with the eye and not pixelated?

I am very new to the photography/videoephotgraphy setting etc. The video i take seems to be pixelated the settings are set at 1080p 4k h265 30fps i have attached a sample. Just trying to get that smooth real clear videos everyone posts.
Is there a suggested set of setting to get video that looks as real as it does with the eye and not pixelated?
Here mine ,full speed or slow flying this works well for me,no pixels ,no lag or gliching,can just turn on and hold ,go through settings and find a clear setting,could also check your transmission channel,might have some interference on your channel
Screenshot_20180331-080837.jpg

Reactions: Jchlkw
Thanks man i will try those settings. Pretty sure its not in transmission i notice it when i review the video. I will test on my outing tomorrow. Thank you for advice

Is your SD card fast enough? If it’s pixelated, that typically means data loss... having a card that is not rated for 100mbps will cause choppy video to be recorded.

Reactions: Jchlkw
The sd card is SanDisk Extreme 128GB microSDXC UHS-I Card. Yes all my devices except laptop are 4k maybe i am using the wrong words here is a link to what i am talking about look at the tree branches and the pole and trees acrossed the river.

Looks like moire to me (watching on phone). That can be a result of too much sharpening. Try turning down sharpening -2 and also use a slower shutter speed if possible. Will look closer when I am back at home.

Ok thank you for your help i am new to this photography etc. hard for a old man to learn new things lol. loving it though. there is lot to learn. But want to see the world from a different view.

You are entering the rabbit hole. :). What *I* see on my playback are massive compression artifacts. So I think more details on how you are encoding the final video are needed. If I’m seeing what you’re seeing then this is likely a post production issue. If I’m just seeing awful compression because of a bad link or something then you can disregard. Maybe I’ll include a screenshot.

Andrew mentioned moire due to sharpening and that definitely happens so his advice is good if that’s all your seeing (but again, I’m seeing massive and unacceptable compression.)

While I have your ear I’ll mention the seemingly age old recommendation. Shoot with a shutter speed at twice your frame rate of you can. (May need ND filters). But what I see is not related to thst at all.

I’m attaching a marked up screenshot where I circled a couple examples of smudged areas which are the result of overly aggressive compression almost surely in your post processing. So tell us about your editing and output process.

9BE5CF07-1347-4FFC-A58F-C2F05347BCDC.jpeg

Also i looked and can not find the sharpening setting i did turn down shutter speed to 24fps

Also i looked and can not find the sharpening setting i did turn down shutter speed to 24fps
You have to go into camera settings then “style.” The param under the triangle is sharpness.

126C0477-CE82-4A28-9DF1-B518E9421174.jpeg

Reactions: AndrewCCM
Let’s talk about FPS for a second. The main reason people use 24 vs 30 is because it creates a little blur that is reminiscent of a motion picture (aka cinematic) look. But this could affect the sharpness of your pans. It shouldn’t give you moire Andrew pointed out or the smudging I pointed out.

I suggest that you first focus on getting the video to output without moire and smudging. Then experiment with the FPS to see what pleases you. That’s a more subtle effect.

Once you pick then you’ll want to try and set your shutter speed twice that (1/50 or 1/60 respectively). But this could overexpose your video if you don’t use the proper ND filter to cut down the light. If it’s a drone with variable aperature may be able to use a smaller aperature in lieu of an ND filter.

Something else I’ve learned. Once you pick a frame rate, stick with it. It’s harder to edit together clips with different frame rates later on. You will have to pick an output frame rate. And the clips with the other frame rate will look jittery in the motion. At least that’s my experience. If there is a way around it that I haven’t found, I’m all ears. ;)

Reactions: RunningWithScissors
Editing i just did right on the controller using built in app. With out put being a mp4. Other than that i did nothing to it. Found the sharpen setting changed custom to -1

Editing i just did right on the controller using built in app. With out put being a mp4. Other than that i did nothing to it. Found the sharpen setting changed custom to -1
Ok. Something else may be happening here. You may be editing and then publishing based on the low res cached copy of the video that the app saved. There is a much better copy on your SD card. To get best results you need to get that video onto your computer and edit from there using a real editor/encoder.

Reactions: RunningWithScissors
I moved the copy from bird to sd in controller and pointed editing tool to sd card. Also here are some pics of my setting
1522444626467.jpg
1522444630549.jpg
1522444634277.jpg
1522444638116.jpg

You may be editing and then publishing based on the low res cached copy of the video that the app saved.

The very first thing that I said when I watched the video was, "That looks like low resolution cache video, not actual video from the card". Then I read what bsartist said above, and maybe I'm not so crazy after after all. Even if that's not the problem, there is a lot of good advice above from bsartist and Andrew. They should be able to help you get it sorted out. I would definitely agree with them, you've got one or more things going on there that shouldn't be. Good luck.

I moved the copy from bird to sd in controller and pointed editing tool to sd card.

I have no idea what this means. It is counter to everything I understand so I can’t really help.

I was just saying i believe i was not working with the cache that i took the video off the bird and pointed editing tool to the sd.
I really appreciate everyones help and input thank you to all of you. I will keep taking in all advice.

I am leaning towards the sd card its a u1 u need a u3 even my mavic air records at same bit rate (100) needs a u3 .... so like I said even though yours is the extreme version you still need a u3

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Johnboy94