Video: Fitted my Phantom v1 into a Phantom 2 shell (easy!)

I still have the P1.1.1 ESC's, but I guess they should just work with the P2 board, right?
Yeah, the Zenmuse should get power from the board. But with the first board I tried, it did not get the power. I got the drone 2nd hand, so I don't know if it was a factory issue or if the previous owner wrecked it. That's why I put the new upgrade board in. That was last June, didn't know the V3 came out a few weeks later... bummer...

I have the same cable for my existing setup, but without the iOSD lead. I think I'll upgrade to this lead, it worked flawlessy.
Yes! Previous ESCs will work with it. LEDs on that are controlled directly by NAZA.Juat take care of the CW and CCW ESC and motors
(CW and CCW motors are wired differently, do note down before taking them apart. A good idea will be to take pictures before taking everything apart and match with the rotation signs as mentioned on the P2 shell)

On v2.1 ESCs, LEDs are controlled by the board, thats why they have those ports.(I still got those LEDs to work with a coded PIC mimicking the signals they would get from the P2 board)

Yes! Previous ESCs will work with it. LEDs on that are controlled directly by NAZA.Juat take care of the CW and CCW ESC and motors
(CW and CCW motors are wired differently, do note down before taking them apart. A good idea will be to take pictures before taking everything apart and match with the rotation signs as mentioned on the P2 shell)

Great. I'll be using the P1 top of the shell (don't want to move the GPS unit). And yeah, I'll take pictures. Or move the motors one by one.
And I think I'll have to move the XT60 connector to the P2 board. Or just add the P2 smart connector and solder the XT60 onto that.

Great. I'll be using the P1 top of the shell (don't want to move the GPS unit). And yeah, I'll take pictures. Or move the motors one by one.
And I think I'll have to move the XT60 connector to the P2 board. Or just add the P2 smart connector and solder the XT60 onto that.

That way you'll be able to use P2 Smart battery too + all the Limefuel 6000mah smart batteries(Still have to confirm on my build! Though many ppl have confirmed it with their builds)

Last edited:
That way you'll be able to use P2 Smart battery too + all the Limefuel 6000mah smart batteries

Yeah, and it's just a few euro's for the connector. I don't think I will be using smart batteries, because I'll be putting my P1 led in one of the Shapeways 3D printed doors. So I'll need the door for the LED.

Edit: Hmm, but the smart battery already include the LED's. But I guess they don't work with my old NAZA?

Yeah, and it's just a few euro's for the connector. I don't think I will be using smart batteries, because I'll be putting my P1 led in one of the Shapeways 3D printed doors. So I'll need the door for the LED.

Edit: Hmm, but the smart battery already include the LED's. But I guess they don't work with my old NAZA?

I was looking for a Shapeways door for the LED which had no holes other than for micro USB.(For when I will use my 2x 2200Phantom and 2800 Dinogy Lipo batteries in parallel) But most of them have holes for XT60 connectors to go through, which can lead to dust ingress! :(

EDIT -- Yes! The P2 board should work! Many ppl who converted to the P2 board use their previous Naza FCs, GPS and compass. Many mentioned that they had to stick the Rx unit under the p2 board as it didn't line up with screw holes on the P2 shell.

You'll have to take care fitting the compass on the P2 shell legs. As, in P2, the battery is the rear part, unlike P1 and FC40. Just check some images for reference!

Great, P2 board is on it's way. I've also ordered the can port on the leg and the smart connector. With 'sticking' the RX unit, you mean sticking it with tape?
Thanks for the tips on the orientation. That's something I'll definitely doublecheck! I'll report back when the project is done ;)

Great, P2 board is on it's way. I've also ordered the can port on the leg and the smart connector. With 'sticking' the RX unit, you mean sticking it with tape?
Thanks for the tips on the orientation. That's something I'll definitely doublecheck! I'll report back when the project is done ;)

Yea! I haven't been able to check but it seems that something like a 3M mounting tape might be needed.

In the meantime, I'll be trying to acquire "Threebond TB-1530" adhesive(the same white stuff dji uses inside the phantom for covering the exposed solder joints and Rx connectors + for securing the LED module!)

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Tapatalk

Yea! I haven't been able to check but it seems that something like a 3M mounting tape might be needed.

The P1.5 door from Shapeways comes in today, so I will start the rebuild this week. I'll let you know how I solved the transmitter 'problem' :)

I could not find it in later posts, but is there any (new) reason why I should keep the small cable coming from the P2 IPC? I will be building on the P2 board, but with the P1.1.1 NAZA. In oldere posts I read I could just remove it, because it's not used.

I could not find it in later posts, but is there any (new) reason why I should keep the small cable coming from the P2 IPC? I will be building on the P2 board, but with the P1.1.1 NAZA. In oldere posts I read I could just remove it, because it's not used.

Whats IPC?
(Forgive my Ignorance! )

Btw got my flytrex finally!
All parts are here except P2 board. Shipper or seller messed up the order and it never reached me! :(

Last edited:
Alright, I've started the project. Soldering the XT60 to the IPC cables was easy. But soldering the two additional wires was a bit more difficult due to the akward angle for the black wire. I think I've got it (it doesn't bulge) but I did hit the mini cable connector in the process. That's fried :D Ah well, won't be needing that anyway!

I've fitted the motherboard and I'm now finding a spot for my antennas. Next step will be to connect the IPC to the motherboard, connect the ESC's and wire everything else up.
And I'll have to find an extension cable for my P1 LED somewhere...

One question for the external NAZA LED users: how do you route the cable from the NAZA to the outside of the Pantom? Did you drill a hole somewhere? The connector seems to big to go through one of the leg holes.

One question for the external NAZA LED users: how do you route the cable from the NAZA to the outside of the Pantom? Did you drill a hole somewhere? The connector seems to big to go through one of the leg holes.

Didn't you get one of those LED doors from shapeways?

Stock LED module fits right in there and connectors goes over to the NAZA.
You can use extension cables if you want!

For extending, I use these cables
20150824_180203.jpg 20150824_180210.jpg 20150824_180215.jpg

Btw completed my Phantom 2 mod yesterday after working on it for two days straight.
Its almost a complete Phantom 2 now. Only parts lifted from my FC40 were : GPS, Compass, NAZA FC, and Rx board.

Last edited:
Didn't you get one of those LED doors from shapeways?

Yep, but in hindsight, the NAZA LED should be easier, because that also enables me to use the P2 batteries without any changes.

I'm still working on my P2 mod. Had some issues with soldering the power cable to the board (opened another topic on that), but hopefully I can get it to work later tonight.

Yep, but in hindsight, the NAZA LED should be easier, because that also enables me to use the P2 batteries without any changes.

I'm still working on my P2 mod. Had some issues with soldering the power cable to the board (opened another topic on that), but hopefully I can get it to work later tonight.

Yea, the ground cable is too close to the connector that is there. I had to use the helping hand and a fine soldering tip to reach it and solder the XT60 connector(borrowed from the FC40 board).

Did you solder additional wires there?

Any tips on where to get those cables?

Just search for 'Female to Male jumper wires'
Even your local electronics or DIY store should have those!

Yea, the ground cable is too close to the connector that is there. I had to use the helping hand and a fine soldering tip to reach it and solder the XT60 connector(borrowed from the FC40 board).
Did you solder additional wires there?

Nope, just the cables coming from the P2 power connector. I've attached the XT60 to that power connector. That was a bit of a headache, but it worked. Measured the connections with a multimeter to be sure :)

Just search for 'Female to Male jumper wires'
Even your local electronics or DIY store should have those!

Yeah, I'll have to order online for that. DIY stores don't carry that kind of cables here. They don't even have heat shrink anymore... And local electronics stores are out of business due to the internet shops.

What kind of cable thickness did you use to connect to the motherboard v/g pads? I'm trying to connect 16awg cable to it, but I can't get a good connection. The cable just pops off after i let loose. Any tips? Maybe 20awg is more suitable?

What kind of cable thickness did you use to connect to the motherboard v/g pads? I'm trying to connect 16awg cable to it, but I can't get a good connection. The cable just pops off after i let loose. Any tips? Maybe 20awg is more suitable?

I used the stock cables that came with Internal Power Connector. I used a 'helping hand' to hold them in place over the V & G contacts while I deposited solder on there.

If you have tried multiple times and it isn't adhering, try using a wick to remove excess solder from there or lightly sand the contact before soldering again.

--------------

Weirdly enough my Phantom assistant isn't working properly with the setup. I'll try rerouting some connections from the Naza and use Phantom2 Assistant to see if that works.
FPV system was working great except for the gimbal which tends to look down all the time and not responding to pitch control. So much for 'plug and play' lol!

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rockymountaincaptures