Video: Fitted my Phantom v1 into a Phantom 2 shell (easy!)

Reaction score
EDIT - SEE BASE OF POST FOR LATEST REVISIONS/ADVICE

Playlist of all videos of how to do this can be found here: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL ... x56LAe0abg

So I finally got my hands on a Phantom 2 Shell.

I intended to use this for measurements for some Phantom 2 Shapeways parts (due to demand) but when I got it I sized it up for a Phantom 1 to Phantom 2(ish) conversion. I'm sure I'm not the first to try this but thought I'd share.

Long video of how it went is below.... for those not interesting in watching/snoozing through it. The Phantom 1 board, esc, motors, top shell, legs ALL fit perfectly. Easier in fact than re-shelling a Phantom 1 as you can re-use the P1 top shell and not move the GPS at all. The only thing you need to mod is where the LED goes (as its not used in the P2). Pretty easy solution tho.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A0QQctngzSg[/youtube]

So why do this?

- More space (fit two 2200 side by side in the shell)
- Use of P2 Batt. With a simple cable you can use the 5200mah P2 batt on your P1 (granted you likely don't get as much flight time on the P2 batt as with P2 firmware but it is still a 5200mah with good power to weight ratio).

I have done a blog on RC Groups about this with more info and pics which I will add to:

Also I have just finished the http://www.sarawuth.com mod that gives at Phantom 1 upgrade board a Can Bus port (without a PMUv2). Video to come soon of how to.... easy and great mod.

So I now have a Phantom 1 with CanBus in a P2 shell..... almost feel like its re-born! :lol:

******** EDIT Nov 2014 **********

Playlist of all videos of how to do this is now here: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL ... x56LAe0abg

This is a big old thread now... well worth reading but for those just wanting to delve in here are some options for you:

-- Least amount of soldering needed: --

Keep - P1 ESC's
Keep - P1 GPS (keep in top half)
Buy - P2 Shell (only use bottom half)
Buy - P2 Main Board
Buy - Can-Bus port/Leg mount
Buy - DJI Internal Power Connecter with XT60 soldered to the rear (for Lipo useage) - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPGDp_E_0iQ
Buy (option) P2 Battery
Buy (option) Naza v2 LED
Buy (option if using Lipo's) P1.5 Battery door: http://www.shapeways.com/shops/d3wey (other sources do exist but these are mine)

This option doesn't include a motor upgrade and P1 owners will therefore not have the excellent 9443 props as an option.

-- P1 Owners with H3-2D Upgrade board ---

Keep - P1 ESC's
Keep - P1 GPS (keep in top half)
Buy - P2 Shell (only use bottom half)
**Buy (option) - Can-Bus port/Leg mount
Buy - DJI Internal Power Connecter with XT60 soldered to the rear (for Lipo useage) - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPGDp_E_0iQ
Buy (option) P2 Battery
Buy (option) Naza v2 LED
Buy (option if using Lipo's) P1.5 Battery door: http://www.shapeways.com/shops/d3wey (other sources do exist but these are mine)

People who have the upgrade board can have CAN-BUS but will need to do some fairly small soldering via the 'Sarawuth' route.

** If you buy the leg mount you will need to do the Sarawuth mod but solder one end of the Can-bus wires supplied with the mount to the board

-- LED Options --

The P2 has its status light in the ESC led's. You will need to put your P1 LED somewhere. Options are:
1) Drill a hole at the front of the P2 shell (where the USB hole is) and mount it there
2) Buy one of my Shapeways doors that integrates the LED (will need extend the wires)
3) Buy the cheap NAZA v2 LED and use this.
4) Buy the cheap NAZA v2 LED and use this as well as option 1 - for this you will need an inline switch or your USB function won't work... details here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2gHfYdDh-oM

-- E300 Option --

You can use the E300's on the P1.5. The should work with the P1 ESC's. Using the ESC's will remove your LED's on the arms.

-- P2 ESC's --
Are useable but you will not get a status LED's flashing through them like you do on a P2 because that is controlled via the P2's NAZA.
P2 'v2' ESC's are an unknown as of November 2014 - they 'should' work on paper as they are identical to v1 in design but for a firmware update to help 'manage' the new 2312 motors... that management might however not work correctly without the P2 NAZA and or the new motors. Someone will just have to try it and report back :mrgreen:

Re: Video: Fitted my Phantom v1 into a Phantom 2 shell (easy

I've seen a full conversion (the bottom shell + LED repositioning + confirming P2 battery works), but your video is much better!

Two questions:

1. What are the absolute dimensions of the new battery bay? Exactly how big of a battery can be crammed in there?

2. I assume one of your goals is to release a battery door "cap" that snaps in place over this shell, for use with standard batteries? :)

ElGuano said:
I've seen a full conversion (the bottom shell + LED repositioning + confirming P2 battery works), but your video is much better!

Two questions:

1. What are the absolute dimensions of the new battery bay? Exactly how big of a battery can be crammed in there?

2. I assume one of your goals is to release a battery door "cap" that snaps in place over this shell, for use with standard batteries? :)

Thanks ElGuano - I was surprised how few vids there are on the matter but i knew someone would have done the full thing. To be honest with Can-Bus mod i see little value in changing the board to a P2. Yes it means u get the P2 firmware and smarter use of the batt but it then means you are locked into the P2 batts.

I will get some dimensions on my blog page tomorrow. I can slide a 5800 4s in there put it that way (and no i won't be trying!! Lol).

Battery door is likely to be one part i design, likewise a mount for the old LED without drilling too.

YES!!!! New project for my Phantom! Thanks Dewey!

Any significant weight difference between the P1 and P2 hulls?

I noticed ElGuano has a neat solution for mounting the LED board on the bottom of the battery door, if you need some inspiration on where to try to put it

OI Photography said:

I noticed ElGuano has a neat solution for mounting the LED board on the bottom of the battery door, if you need some inspiration on where to try to put it

Thanks OI - no real difference in weight as far as I can tell. I should have weighed it to confirm that is the case but they have basically streteched the shell slightly. With the bigger cut out, no hinge on the batt door and a bit more venting i'd imagine it is within 5g of the P1 shell.

DeweyAXD said:
OI Photography said:

Thanks OI - no real difference in weight as far as I can tell. I should have weighed it to confirm that is the case but they have basically streteched the shell slightly. With the bigger cut out, no hinge on the batt door and a bit more venting i'd imagine it is within 5g of the P1 shell.

Cool, thank you. It's still something I want to try, if only for the bigger battery bay, and this would be a perfect time to add the upgrade board which I've put off till now.

Btw, on that sarawuth mod, which method did you use? (her original one, her later one using the iOSD, or the mod submitted by that other guy)

This is funny Dewey I'm in the same process. Shell & cables are on the way... nice btw!

ElGuano said:

Got the calipers out before bed...

46.5mm wide
36mm high
111mm long (anything longer sticks out the back so maybe 130mm max?).

That is enough space to get at least a 5000mah standard lipo. Maybe even a 5800mah if you can find the right one. Anyone know the weight of the P2 battery (cage and all)?

OI Photography said:
Btw, on that sarawuth mod, which method did you use? (her original one, her later one using the iOSD, or the mod submitted by that other guy)

I went with the original with a twist. Worked out great:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W1nq44GDkOc[/youtube]

This is funny Dewey I'm in the same process. Shell & cables are on the way... nice btw!

I think many might be now the shells are finely trickling back into stock. I was shocked that all the screw holes match up to be honest. Really nice touch that this is possible (and actually pretty easy).

Yeah I saw your thread with the vid right after I asked that ;)

I went on a hunt for batteries that would fit, this is the highest capacity one I could find (and it's a touch long): http://www.maxamps.com/proddetail.php?p ... ck&cat=360

Slightly less capacity, slightly less length, a lot less cost: http://www.buddyrc.com/glacier-35c-5300mah-3s1p.html

All the Turnigy and Zippy batts I could find at HobbyKing in the 5000mAh range (in the US warehouse anyway) would fit in width and height but were way too long. Same for most other brands/dealers as well.

Is this preferable than to transfer the P1 guts onto one of those F450 clone frames so it'd be easier/ cheaper to repair damages in the future?

Nice one Dewey. I'll have to do this to mine too.

DeweyAXD said:
OI Photography said:

I went with the original with a twist. Worked out great:

I think many might be now the shells are finely trickling back into stock. I was shocked that all the screw holes match up to be honest. Really nice touch that this is possible (and actually pretty easy).

I'm going to leave myself a couple of options. I bought the P2 to Xt60 cable/adapter & the XT60 to dual XT60 cable so I can use either a P2 battery or a combination either single or dual standard 2200s (since I own 7 std batteries) A note to other pilots considering this - the P2 battery can be charged on aftermarket chargers like the Imax B6 (verified that last night)

rilot said:

Thanks Rilot - never realised you were a local person in Twyford. Amazed you aren't under water? (I say that in jest but I do hope you didn't get hit with all that!).

the P2 battery can be charged on aftermarket chargers like the Imax B6

That is really good news. The extra £30 for a charger bugged me almost as much as the £107 for the battery itself. If I can use my Accucell 6 then I'll get a P2 battery for this and the converter cable. Where did you find one? I was assuming I'd be making one myself.

Is this preferable than to transfer the P1 guts onto one of those F450 clone frames so it'd be easier/ cheaper to repair damages in the future?

Really depends on what you want to achieve. The Phantom ESC's aren't really man enough for a 450 frame so it won't give you a lot of benefits. Also it won't fit in a case (if you have one). GPS puck would also be needed (not cheap) because the Phantom uses a seperate compass module (the puck has it inside it). This route is actually less work than the 450 conversion IMO and potentially more reliable (less soldering!). Don't forget it does need to be an Upgrade board if you want the Can-Bus port too.

EMCSQUAR said:
I'm going to leave myself a couple of options. I bought the P2 to Xt60 cable/adapter & the XT60 to dual XT60 cable so I can use either a P2 battery or a combination either single or dual standard 2200s (since I own 7 std batteries) A note to other pilots considering this - the P2 battery can be charged on aftermarket chargers like the Imax B6 (verified that last night)

Excellent!

So after this upgrade project (the military calls it "SLEP"), we'll all essentially have standard P2's (canbus and all), plus the ability to use the new or traditional batts. All the parts I'd want anyway...for like 1/4 the price.

Yep we'll all me laughin at those that bought a P2.... and then of course DJI will bring out the 3 Axis Zenmuse or some other fantastic 'must have' gadget that will only work with the P2 Firmware :lol:

One thing I can't seem to find is the weight in grams of the Phantom 2 Battery? Any kind Phantom 2 owner reading this with a set of scales out there? (i'll post a question in the P2 forum soon if not).

DeweyAXD said:
Really depends on what you want to achieve. The Phantom ESC's aren't really man enough for a 450 frame so it won't give you a lot of benefits. Also it won't fit in a case (if you have one). GPS puck would also be needed (not cheap) because the Phantom uses a seperate compass module (the puck has it inside it). This route is actually less work than the 450 conversion IMO and potentially more reliable (less soldering!). Don't forget it does need to be an Upgrade board if you want the Can-Bus port too.

Is the weight of the 450 frame too great or the distance the motors are to the center too long? Newbie, trying to learn.

Regarding the GPS sensor, couldn't I get some stick and have the Phantom GPS stick/stand up like the DJI GPS antenna?

Sorry for being google lazy, what's a can-bus port?

DeweyAXD said:
Yep we'll all me laughin at those that bought a P2.... and then of course DJI will bring out the 3 Axis Zenmuse or some other fantastic 'must have' gadget that will only work with the P2 Firmware :lol:

One thing I can't seem to find is the weight in grams of the Phantom 2 Battery? Any kind Phantom 2 owner reading this with a set of scales out there? (i'll post a question in the P2 forum soon if not).

359g for the P2 battery. Amazing energy density considering the charger/balancer/plastic cage probably weigh at least 30g.

DeweyAXD said:
rilot said:

Thanks Rilot - never realised you were a local person in Twyford. Amazed you aren't under water? (I say that in jest but I do hope you didn't get hit with all that!).

the P2 battery can be charged on aftermarket chargers like the Imax B6

That is really good news. The extra £30 for a charger bugged me almost as much as the £107 for the battery itself. If I can use my Accucell 6 then I'll get a P2 battery for this and the converter cable. Where did you find one? I was assuming I'd be making one myself.

I'm making my own adapter XT60 to P2 battery but there's 1/2 a dozen on Ebay from $3-$9.00

FlyingFanta said:
Is the weight of the 450 frame too great or the distance the motors are to the center too long? Newbie, trying to learn.

Technically no. The F450 frame bare is only a little heavier that the Phantom shell BUT it isn't lighter... so no real advantage is gained.

Regarding the GPS sensor, couldn't I get some stick and have the Phantom GPS stick/stand up like the DJI GPS antenna?

Yes you could do this but the Phantom GPS chip is bare to the elements and not shielded like the puck. You would also need to make a mount for the compass and make sure it is fixed in exactly the same location in relation to the GPS chip as it is in the Phantom. Possible, yes (Been done by a few)... risky and tricky though (how much do you value everything on board?... is it worth the risk).

Sorry for being google lazy, what's a can-bus port?

CAN-BUS port is the port that allows you to use iOSD mini, BTU Unit, Data Link etc... Think of it as DJI's method of making their parts talk to each other.

359g for the P2 battery.

Thanks ElGuano - That is a 1.6 power to weight ratio including the plastic.... quite rare to find that on any lipo.

I'm making my own adapter XT60 to P2 battery but there's 1/2 a dozen on Ebay from $3-$9.00

Ahhh ok - none on Ebay UK yet it seems but as you say not 'that' hard to create.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik