Video Editing Software?

Reaction score
Sorry for the peripheral topic to the P3, but what is the most favored video editing software that people use to edit their footage?

I use Final Cut Pro for Video and either Photoshop or Aperture for photo's. You could use Adobe Lightroom if you have Photoshop and want to stick with Adobe for video. I lean more toward Aperture for photo's as I have an all MAC system, and I find it a bit more intuitive than PS.

How about Wondershare Video Editor as a simpler alternative to Final Cut Pro? Any experience with it?

Edit: May not be able to handle 4K?

If you are new to video editing, Sony Vegas is the easiest to learn to use and you can be editing your first project less than an hour. If you like paying a ransom, many editors rent Adobe Premiere. But the Premiere user interface is really confusing for the new editor so you may have your first project done in a day. If you are looking for a career in TV or movie editing, then you need to learn Avid. You may finish your first project after a week of cursing. (Avid editors enjoy their remarkably complex workflow because it guarantees them the big bucks).

I usually avoid these discussions because asking for opinions about Editing Software is like asking about religion.

There is no bad editing software, just bad editors. Your editing program is just a tool. If your tools don't do the job, it's time for a new tool.

The decision of which program to use depends on too many variables to be selected from other people's experiences.

I am certain that you will find few, if any unbiased responses to the question: "Which editor should I learn and use"? You are discovering the "Baby Duck Syndrome" which denotes the tendency for editors to "imprint" on the first system they learn, then judge other systems by their similarity to that first system. The result is that users generally prefer systems similar to those they learned on and dislike unfamiliar systems.

My advice is simple. Most of the modern NLE programs offer free trials and low-cost entry-level options (under $100):

Sony Vegas
Avid
Adobe
Corel
Magix
Lightworx

There's dozens of others. All have some strengths and all have some limitations. They are all great and they all suck. It costs nothing but time to try all of them with a test project and select the one that best fits your needs.

Hope this helps.

Anyone use/have experience with DaVinci Resolve Lite? A friend of mine recommended it. It's a free download, supposed to be pretty good.

If you are new to video editing, Sony Vegas is the easiest to learn to use and you can be editing your first project less than an hour. If you like paying a ransom, many editors rent Adobe Premiere. But the Premiere user interface is really confusing for the new editor so you may have your first project done in a day. If you are looking for a career in TV or movie editing, then you need to learn Avid. You may finish your first project after a week of cursing. (Avid editors enjoy their remarkably complex workflow because it guarantees them the big bucks).

I usually avoid these discussions because asking for opinions about Editing Software is like asking about religion.

There is no bad editing software, just bad editors. Your editing program is just a tool. If your tools don't do the job, it's time for a new tool.

The decision of which program to use depends on too many variables to be selected from other people's experiences.

I am certain that you will find few, if any unbiased responses to the question: "Which editor should I learn and use"? You are discovering the "Baby Duck Syndrome" which denotes the tendency for editors to "imprint" on the first system they learn, then judge other systems by their similarity to that first system. The result is that users generally prefer systems similar to those they learned on and dislike unfamiliar systems.

My advice is simple. Most of the modern NLE programs offer free trials and low-cost entry-level options (under $100):

Sony Vegas
Avid
Adobe
Corel
Magix
Lightworx

There's dozens of others. All have some strengths and all have some limitations. They are all great and they all suck. It costs nothing but time to try all of them with a test project and select the one that best fits your needs.

Hope this helps.
That was a great write-up on some of the options...Thanks!!!

I've recently converted to Macs but continue to use the Abode Creative Suite with Premier Pro, After Effects & Photoshop. They're expensive but very good. Granted the interface is not the most intuitive for a first-time user but I've been using Photoshop for over 20 years and the interface between the apps is pretty consistent (and after 20 years finally makes perfect sense!)

As others have mentioned, most NLE's offer a fully functional 30-day trail.

Adode Premier Elements 13.0 offers most of the functionality of Premier Pro for $99. Or you can buy it bundled along with Photoshop Eements for $149. Again, you can download a 30-day free trial or either (or both).

I have a little experience with Vegas and its learning curve struck me as less steep than most other - but with comparably excellent results. That was several years ago so I can only imagine that it's gotten even better.

Then again, if you have a Mac or PC there's iMovie and Windows MovieMaker respectively which are both free, functional, and while and lacking the some of the very advanced features of the full-blown professional NLE's can nevertheless produce some pretty impressive results.

Either would be a perfectly adequate place to start because they deal with the essentials without getting a novice mired in esoterica.

Good luck!

Last edited:
I have vegas movie studio, it is reasonably priced and with all the tutorials on youtube easy to learn. I was adding in special effects and mixing sounds in to videos within a week. Guessing I'll have to upgrade to a newer version though for the 4K.

It took me one day to get the hang of Final Cut Pro X, very easy to learn if you are a MAC user. Took me 3 hours to edit clips, add titles, slo-mo, transitions, sound tracks, and what not to my first project. I have used others, some are easy but with less bells, others have everything including the kitchen sink but have a very steep learning curve. I guess it all depends on what you wish to accomplish, a Hollywood type production, or a good home movie. Apple iMovie has been improved on a lot lately and is the little brother to Final Cut, and is free.

If you are new to video editing, Sony Vegas is the easiest to learn to use and you can be editing your first project less than an hour.
Does Sony Vegas handle color corrections well if filmed in protune (gopro) or Log (inspire/P3 cams)?

Power Director 13
Adobe 5.0 Master Suite
A slew of Photo Apps

I just tried Power Director 12 yesterday and it wasn't too hard with no instructions or tutorials. It's reasonably priced so I may just stick with it...

Does Sony Vegas handle color corrections well if filmed in protune (gopro) or Log (inspire/P3 cams)?
Vegas Pro does, but I don't know about the Studio versions.

Personally, I don't find Protune worth the extra effort. If the footage isn't going to be matched to other clips, the default MP4 is good enough for online viewing. If you have A-B examples I would be interested in seeing them.

I downloaded the 30 day trial version of PD 13 and it seems ok to use. The CyberLink site has all kinds of deals going right now but I'm waiting to see how this version works. Made my first video from 3 different files and pretty straight forward so far...

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic