Video Editing Software?

As everyone else mentioned use whatever works for you but I can tell you that I personally tried over 6 different NLEs before picking Corel VideoStudio X8 Ultimate. Most of the other NLEs were slower to render, crashed occasionally, or everything required an additional cost such as titles, effects, etc. One of the things that really sold me on X8 was that Mercalli, a $250 standalone stabilization software suite was included in the price of X8.

I also found that most NLE's have limited professional titles and effects and were more focused on the video hobbyist whereas the videos I create are for paying customers. X8 does have some beginner features but the more you dig into the software the more pro features you find are available. I also bought Sony Movie Studio Platinum 13 but it was extremely slow to render and kept crashing.

Thanks herein2014, I'll check it out - Corel has been at this a long time, I know. My experience with Power Director 13 was my first ever attempt so lots to learn...

I've just ordered Sony Movie Studio 13 suite from eBay for £40 which seems very reasonable, reading through this thread it seems one of the easier to get to grips with and if I eventually decide to go for Vegas pro, a lot of what I have learned will still be relevant, however if it keeps crashing I'll stick it back on eBay for £20.

So how much horsepower is needed to process 4K video? I have a PC with a 3rd gen i5 processor with 16GB RAM. Is that enough?

I use Final Cut Pro X for my videos and edit on an iMac 5K. Main reason for me getting a P3P was because of the iMac - would rather have 4K than not.

Most editors that I saw recommended 4th Generation i7 and also a pretty strong video card and 16 GB minimum. I think it depends on the specific editor you use and they all list hardware requirements.

If you can't meet those specs, I think it just takes longer to render but there are many here who can speak from experience...

I use Final Cut Pro X for my videos and edit on an iMac 5K. Main reason for me getting a P3P was because of the iMac - would rather have 4K than not.

Nice. Did you get the i7? I was looking at that but ended up getting a 2013 Mac Pro. With my workflow I need three monitors and the number of pixels I'm pushing exceeded the iMac's video card's capabilities (especially when I'll be running a bunch of eSata drives through Thunderbolt [SSD and normal] using the CalDigit Thunderbolt Station 2) Having three thunderbolt buses helps out tremendously.

Final Cut Pro is a very simply and straight forward solution for Mac users. We also use a lot of Adobe Premiere but you will find a lot more involvement is ideal. For PC, Sony Vegas Pro is a great option.

Nice. Did you get the i7? I was looking at that but ended up getting a 2013 Mac Pro. With my workflow I need three monitors and the number of pixels I'm pushing exceeded the iMac's video card's capabilities (especially when I'll be running a bunch of eSata drives through Thunderbolt [SSD and normal] using the CalDigit Thunderbolt Station 2) Having three thunderbolt buses helps out tremendously.

I actually went for the i5 - £2K was enough money to drop on an iMac as it is! I have no problems with lag, slowness whilst editing - the iMac just takes it all in it's stride.

Three monitors - wow! That is severe editing.

I'm really happy with my iMac - my day is so much more productive than what it used to be and doing small P2 edits is a breeze. Ask me again once I'm editing P3 4K footage :)

I actually went for the i5 - £2K was enough money to drop on an iMac as it is! I have no problems with lag, slowness whilst editing - the iMac just takes it all in it's stride.

Three monitors - wow! That is severe editing.

I'm really happy with my iMac - my day is so much more productive than what it used to be and doing small P2 edits is a breeze. Ask me again once I'm editing P3 4K footage :)
I run a six-core Mac Pro with two 4K monitors, 32G Ram and a very fast T/B media drive at 8TB. FCPX for the software, and bring everything in in proxy at 4K. It does the job

Reactions: Dan Fonseca
I run a six-core Mac Pro with two 4K monitors, 32G Ram and a very fast T/B media drive at 8TB. FCPX for the software, and bring everything in in proxy at 4K. It does the job

Nice DaveDorn - sounds like a beast!

Nice DaveDorn - sounds like a beast!
It's not a bad piece of kit - does what I need of it very well, includg the live webcasts we do every night Mon to Thurs at the address in my sig. I'd have gone for the 12 core, but, in practice, it's render times that cause issues, normally. Now that Compressor can utilise the two grpahics adapters for rendering, it's all speeded up nicely. 4K is a doddle on it.

Rea;;y looking forward to playing with footage from the P3 - becoming impatient now!

I bought Sony Movie Studio 12 Platinum Suite based on reviews primarily because the 13 version is designed for touch screens which doesn't help. Editing video is quite a learning process but there are some fairly good online tutorials. I had a computer made up with AMD 8 core cpu and 16GB memory, it seems to work OK.

I bought Sony Movie Studio 12 Platinum Suite based on reviews primarily because the 13 version is designed for touch screens which doesn't help. Editing video is quite a learning process but there are some fairly good online tutorials. I had a computer made up with AMD 8 core cpu and 16GB memory, it seems to work OK.

Would love to know what you think about it after you've had a chance to play. I am reviewing Corel's VideoStudio Pro X8 and Cyberlink's Director 13, both as trial versions...

So far the main problem I have had is trying to use text but I suppose most editors are similar in that they are just setup for titles. My interest in aerial photography is for historic sites from the early Christian period and there needs to be quite a lot of description added. I am hoping to use infra red photography to show outlines of buried features.

If your a student or you have kids that are students, you can pick up the entire Adobe creative cloud for 20/month

I run a dual hexacore XEON Windows system with 48GB of memory, fast SSD drives for the OS and render drives, and around 30TB for archiving drives (after the footage is done). I do not work with 4k though, I have yet to encounter a customer that demands 4K, most barely have HD capabilities.

So far the main problem I have had is trying to use text but I suppose most editors are similar in that they are just setup for titles. My interest in aerial photography is for historic sites from the early Christian period and there needs to be quite a lot of description added. I am hoping to use infra red photography to show outlines of buried features.

If you want more professional text options you should try Corel X8 Ultimate. I started with Sony Movie Studio and did not like their limited text options and terribly slow render times. Unfortunately Corel does not let you try the more advanced text / title options in the trial version but I believe they offer a 30 day money back guarantee.

How about Wondershare Video Editor as a simpler alternative to Final Cut Pro? Any experience with it?

Edit: May not be able to handle 4K?

Just found a out Wondershare Filmora.

I tried and I think I am going to purchase the full version for less the 50 bucks.

So far, I want to put the video cut it, add text, potentially split screen, use the sound of another video, transition. Nothing fancy like working on colours stuff,... Video will be like a souvenir of my flight with no show off of the post production, it might evolve in the future though but I don't want at the present time to commit and spend too much time on learning video software.

It this a good software for really basic stuff? Is there alternatives?

-Premiere (editing)
-Syntheyes (2D/3D camera tracking)
-After Effects (compositing/vfx)
-Maya (3D stuff)

, you can pick up the entire Adobe creative cloud for 20/month
Forever, and ever, and ever... Then when you graduate, you get to pay full price. Forever, and ever, and ever.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31