Vibrations while using Master Airscrew propellers

Reaction score
I'm using Master Airscrew propellers for the last few months and since I usually start my Phantom from a safe distance I didn't notice any body vibrations before. But on last Saturday I was standing real close and I noticed the body vibrated when I started the motors - made the propellers rotate. I did a test with the original DJI propellers and they don't produce any significant vibration.

The vibration only appears when the Phantom is on the ground and the motors are running in idle - I don't touch any controls. I usually run the propellers at this speed while doing some checks on my iPad before flight like RTH set, battery levels, RTH altitude, various camera settings, etc. and to warm up the drone.

As soon as I increase the speed of the motors and I'm just starting to take off the vibrations disappear.

Do you think this is normal?

I'm afraid that the Phantom body can get cracks because of these vibrations during the winter time. I've got one crack one year ago while flying in a strong and cold wind in Chicago. I replaced the shell and I can tell you from my experience it's not fun in case this is not your daily work.

First question is why are you not using stock Phantom props? As for the vibration, the Airscrew props might need balancing. I take the time to balance my props just to make sure there is as little vibration as possible.

Reactions: apprentice
Not normal. The vibration doesn't disappear it just increases until you can't see it.

Going back to the factory props is a HUGE plus and might save your bird. With an AC that is basically being flown by a Flight Controller (you're just telling it what you'd like it to do and the Flight Controller makes the needed adjustments to make it happen) you really aren't gaining anything by using stiffer, longer, higher pitch props. Also the stiffer props will transmit energy into the main aircraft (where damage is more expensive and harder to repair) while the soft "spongy" factor props do not as much.

First question is why are you not using stock Phantom props? As for the vibration, the Airscrew props might need balancing. I take the time to balance my props just to make sure there is as little vibration as possible.
Well I read some reviews and people were quite exciting about these propellers. And even DJI changed the design of their propellers for Mavic Pro Platinum which now look now more similar to these I use.
https://store.dji.com/product/mavic-pro-platinum

Thank you. I'll do some research on balancing propellers.

Reactions: gringorio
Not normal. The vibration doesn't disappear it just increases until you can't see it.

Going back to the factory props is a HUGE plus and might save your bird. With an AC that is basically being flown by a Flight Controller (you're just telling it what you'd like it to do and the Flight Controller makes the needed adjustments to make it happen) you really aren't gaining anything by using stiffer, longer, higher pitch props. Also the stiffer props will transmit energy into the main aircraft (where damage is more expensive and harder to repair) while the soft "spongy" factor props do not as much.
Thank you for your detailed explanation. I'm back to the DJI propellers now.

Reactions: BigAl07
Balance issues are common, I have a balancer here for just that reason. Most propellers that I checked needed balancing. Out of 4 sets (16 props) I think that 4-5 were OK.
Vibration is bad, I believe that it is one of the reasons for the cracks in the shell.

Never checked or balanced mine.

No cracks here.

I find that it is better to not sand, but to apply small pieces of cellophane tape to the light blade. So far, no problems with these pieces coming loose. Just clean the prop prior to balancing, then the tape sticks very well. You would be surprised how small the pieces are to balance it.

I find that it is better to not sand, but to apply small pieces of cellophane tape to the light blade. So far, no problems with these pieces coming loose. Just clean the prop prior to balancing, then the tape sticks very well. You would be surprised how small the pieces are to balance it.
Thank you very much.

Yeah, I've done both and agree the tape idea works great too.

I use a magnetic prop ballencer to Ballance my MAS props for my RC airplanes. I'm hoping it will work for my P4 proposal when it arrives next week. It suspends the prop between to magnets so there I'd zero friction.

I decided early on to use only OEM props and batteries... either one of those fail and you've got a dead bird.

This Dubro w/ 6mm rod I ordered Monday night got here yesterday, they also sell a balancer with a rod for props w/ holes, or buy a rod separately.

Out of 22 OEM white props, only 7-8 were off enough to need a little adjusting imo. I used 800 grit sandpaper - 2x2'' squares wrapped around an artists eraser.

Of the ones I had to sand on anyway, I also buffed off the flashing on the leading and trailing edges and smoothed them out. If you run your finger down the edges of new ones - they're rough... I'm wondering if the smoothed ones might be a little more quiet - and even less potential for vibration?

We'll find out as soon as the weather gets better around here!

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl