Version 2 of Zenmuse H3-2D?

PeterMac48 & edunwoody,

I appreciate your feedback; I decided to return the V1 in favor of the newer version. I dropped the package off this evening and it is headed back. Now the waiting begins yet again but hopefully it will be well worth the wait.

edunwoody, I visited atlantahobby when I was up that way in early July and enjoyed the time with those guys. They spent more than an hour just fielding questions, I found them to be very helpful and patient. Wish they were closer but that could also be a bad thing. I have a decent shop in Orlando here called GravesRC.com. Not quite to the caliber of A

I think you did the right thing moving to V2 even if DJI says there is no V2. I think they are confused.
My Zin is working quite well so far.

E

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

deluge2 said:
PeterMac48 said:
Definitely want to exchange for the version 2. My 2 cents. I received mine in July and the tilt motor fried after only 12 flights. The video off the gimbal is amazing but obviously you don't want it to fail unexpectedly which it will. I sent it back to B&H Photo and they are sending me a new one which I will verify is the new version before I install it. Now that other folks have given info about the new one.

Two other things I would suggest to avoid frying the new one:
1. Get taller landing gear to keep the gimbal from contacting the grass. I just purchased the Simensays foldable landing gear you can cut your carbon fiber rod to your desired length. I also like this gear to remove the gear from the video otherwise it pops in from time to time. Using the stock gear is fine if you take off and land on flat or paved surface but as soon as you set it on the lawn the camera will contact the grass enough to stall the gimbal.
2. Turn the camera on/press record either before you plug in the phantom or use the wifi app or remote. This way you avoid stressing the gimbal while it's powered up. Just pressing the buttons on the camera is enough to stall the gimbal. When you stall the gimbal that's when it heats up and hibernates or burns up.

Really excellent points, agree 100%. I have the non-folding Simensays landing gear but have not installed them yet. I thought carbon tube would be readily available locally, but it's not. I'm debating going with smaller carbon rod vs. aluminum tubing (thin walled, probaly not much different in wt vs. carbon tube).

Once the Zen is attached, landing site becomes much more of an issue. In the few flights I have so far with Zen v2, I've been able to hover in place and simply hold the landing gear while I shut down. But that isn't the safest approach, especially if there's wind. I'm mulling over design options for a portable landing surface that folds up small, but deploys to provide a reasonably sized target LZ.

Steve

I had the same problem finding domestic source for metric carbon tubes. I ordered the 6 mm and 12 mm tubes from china via ebay and the 6 mm grommets from china via Amazon. They are long lead items about 3 to 4 weeks but I am waiting for the 3D printed parts and the zenmuse V2 anyway so no biggie. The rest of the metric hardware I found at Sears Hardware. I liked the simensays fixed gear V3 but opted for the folding design hoping that the gear will remain out of the video frame. And I ordered the payload kit that hangs off the folding landing gear design for mounting the VTX off the back.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31