Use box it came in as carrying case, or something different?

Reaction score
Basically company I am working for is going to buy a phantom 4 I would guess in the next two weeks. My question is, I see that the phantom 4 comes in a really nice box. Is this what people is using as a carrying case too or are you using something else, like the backpack made by DJI? Thoughts or suggestions welcomed.

Plenty of options. I have found that I needed more space to fit my crap; windsurfers (extend range), Polarpro filters, 3rd & 4th batteries etc. Additionally, since I'm so **** old I use a backpack so I can keep my hands free. Comes in real handy when following some of my 22 year old son's trail choices :)
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

NoCo Drones

Plenty of options. I have found that I needed more space to fit my crap; windsurfers (extend range), Polarpro filters, 3rd & 4th batteries etc. Additionally, since I'm so **** old I use a backpack so I can keep my hands free. Comes in real handy when following some of my 22 year old son's trail choices :)
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

NoCo Drones

If you didn't carry all of that other stuff, would you think the box it comes in is good enough or would you still buy something else?

The box that comes with the Phantom 4 is nicer than the usual cardboard boxes DJI uses. It would not be ideal for transporting on a plane, but it would be okay if it's going to sit around the office or travel by car. If you decide it doesn't fit your needs, then check out the Go Professional hard case or the Microraptor Pro hard case. You can find a bunch of other commonly used cases here.

Reactions: rageagainstjg
A box is fine if you fly from the trunk of your car. But if you want to park and walk in somewhere you are going to want a backpack.

Heck, I used the cardboard inner box my p3p came in for a while before getting a backpack. If I had a proper box with a handle like the p4 I probably would not have bought a backpack.

I bought a Smatree backpack off Amazon ($59.99). It's very well-made and the backpack straps are very usable. It provides plenty of extra storage for batteries, props, iPad, etc. The styrofoam box box that the Phantom 4 comes in fits inside it perfectly. So, you don't have to waste that very well-designed shipping and storage box, but you still have an excellent backpack without paying for additional foam cutout.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01J7UN1G8/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I bought a Smatree backpack off Amazon ($59.99). It's very well-made and the backpack straps are very usable. It provides plenty of extra storage for batteries, props, iPad, etc. The styrofoam box box that the Phantom 4 comes in fits inside it perfectly. So, you don't have to waste that very well-designed shipping and storage box, but you still have an excellent backpack without paying for additional foam cutout.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01J7UN1G8/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Do you have to do any disassembly on the DJI phantom 4 in order to get it to fit inside the box it ships in? Such as take off the propellers or other things?

Do you have to do any disassembly on the DJI phantom 4 in order to get it to fit inside the box it ships in? Such as take off the propellers or other things?
Well yes you have to take the props off but they are quick release so. . .

The box that DJI designed for shipping the Phantom 4 is very clever. It's compact and well-designed, and for me has been very robust for transporting and carrying around. The only problem with it is that it's compactness doesn't allow storage for things like more than 3 batteries, iPad, other little do-dads. This backpack fixes that.

But no, the props have to come off before you can use the DJI box.

As a professional photographer, I have rolling cases for almost all of my gear. I've been really happy with the styro case that came with the P4. I do plan on finding a rolling case that the stereo case will fit into, and maybe allow to fit more batteries. The styro case holds my iPad mini and three batteries and five filters. Pretty tight fit, but I do like that the gimbal does not get jarred.

I don't do any hiking with it though.

Basically company I am working for is going to buy a phantom 4 I would guess in the next two weeks. My question is, I see that the phantom 4 comes in a really nice box. Is this what people is using as a carrying case too or are you using something else, like the backpack made by DJI? Thoughts or suggestions welcomed.
I took the original box as carryon on a recent trip, worked just fine. I purchased a waterproof cover (backpack) for
the Styrofoam case from Amazon for $25. which zips around the case. Has an outside pocket for my Air 2
ipad. Works great for me. I have three batteries. I like the layout of the original case. Room for check lists, and copies of airline and FAA rules for Lipo batteries and airworthy certificate. I leave my batteries on storage in the triple DJI charger/storage device when not being use.
Hope this helps.

For all my photography gear, I have used Pelican cases. I see a couple of Pelican cases for the P4 (one with wheels and one without) on Amazon. The ones I currently own have the wheels on them. Not been able to find a wheeled Pelican case for P4, the non-wheeled case is ~$200. Rest assured that all the Pelican cases are rock solid. Had them fall from over 6 feet to concrete and no damage whatsoever to the case (other than very minor scratch) or its contents. Some of the other cases I found on Amazon and elsewhere don't seem that sturdy to me. I plan on taking P4 on planes and if I have to check in, I would feel very confident that the case will hold up to any abuse. For a few bucks more, I would not think twice about brand other than Pelican.

I use the styrofoam case the Phantom comes with inside a 5.11 Rush 72 backpack. I have seen this bag (and others like it) made with custom foam, but they do not IMO have any decent protection over the drone to protect the motors, just a layer of foam. I wanted to be able to shove it in an overhead bin, etc without worry that some tool will muck up something jamming his jacket or cane up over my bag. The styrofoam case survives UPS/USPS so it seems good enough. And it fits in the Rush72 just fine with lots of room to spare.

My Layout:
Have the styrofoam case (containing phantom, remote, cables, props and spares, and factory battery charger.) in the main pocket.
Then outside the styrofoam but still in the main pocket I have a fireproof bag with 7 batteries, a 3 battery+remote charger, and the base station antenna setup for my tracker.
The bottom outer pocket has my tablet, sunshade, spare cables, a 28,000 mAH portable charger, and some stuff like gum, chapstick, headache meds, pad/pen, tissues, lens cleaner, handwipes, etc.
Top felt pocket has my sunglasses.
Front top pocket has my SD card wallet, registration ID printout, spare reg-ID stickers, and several pages of FAA regulations (to show unaware people/officers if need be).
One side pocket has my 40oz HydroFlask (insulated water bottle)
Other side pocket has tools. Multihead screwdriver, Leatherman Surge, Flashlights, etc.
15in macbook and charger fit in the rear pocket if I am taking them.
and there is still room to shove in more stuff.

I have a black one that I use for normal travel, but got tired of packing an unpacking depending on trip, so I have bought another in Double-Tap color as a dedicated drone bag. I really like the Double-Tap color. Well worth the $155 w/ free prime ship from Amazon.
Bug Out Bag RUSH 72 Hour Backpack | Official 5.11 Site

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic