Upgrading & Formatting issues

Reaction score
Apologies if something like this was already posted. I wasn't able to find anything via Google.

I opened my P3 for the first time in months to update my firmware. I didn't have my card adapter for my micro SD so I plugged the P3 directly into my Mac and tried to load up the new firmware. For some reason, it wasn't working so I decided to re-format the card via Mac. At first, I formatted it in the wrong way so I did it again in both FAT and exFAT, but the update seems to not be taking.

And now when I try to format the card via RC, it times out. On the RC, at first it had said invalid card (I think) but now it says reformat recommended but keeps timing out.

Battery level has nothing to do with the update, does it? Mine is under 50% right now. Can someone please help me find out what I'm doing wrong in my format and firmware update?

I've updated my firmware a few times before so I'm really confused why I'm running into so many issues this time.

AND - is this really the only way you can still update the P3 firmware? Why is it always so troublesome? :(

You should install the firmware exactly like this.

It would be best to format the memory card from the DJI GO app. If it fails to format, then try a different memory card.

Thanks for the link but I tried following it but on step 10, when the Phantom turns on, it flashes green for a few seconds then jumps to flashing red and it stays that way. What would that mean? I've ordered a new memory card. Is that likely a formatting issue and the P3 not knowing to update?

Is your Phantom making any sounds during that time? If so, what does it sound like?

How long was it flashing red before you cancelled the update?

Try waiting up to 15 minutes. The light should change to solid red if the update fails.

You can upload a video to YouTube and then paste the link here.

Try waiting up to 15 minutes. The light should change to solid red if the update fails.

15 mins in, it was still flashing red. When the camera first rotates upon startup, you hear a D~ d-d but it promptly goes to flashing red with the lights under the arms flash yellow.

Do you see a log file on the memory card?

15 mins in, it was still flashing red. When the camera first rotates upon startup, you hear a D~ d-d but it promptly goes to flashing red with the lights under the arms flash yellow.

No, no log files. Just a lonely bin file... I've updated the firmware before with no problems FYI. Currently uploading the youtube video btw.

If you have no log file, then your Phantom didn't try to install it. Check that you have the correct BIN and that it's in the root. If that all checks out, then try a different memory card.

If you have no log file, then your Phantom didn't try to install it. Check that you have the correct BIN and that it's in the root. If that all checks out, then try a different memory card.

Does this mean I don't need to finish uploading the video onto Youtube?
I'm expecting a sd card to come in the mail tomorrow so I'll try it out. I don't think it's the bin but I'll make sure to download a new one when I try. Thanks for your help. Stay tuned!

Good, 'cause my youtube acct was giving me **** for posting a video that exceeded a certain amount. :)

Correct. Let's wait and see how your new memory card works.

Great news. The problem was the card. As soon as I loaded the bin over to the new card and started up the P3, it jumped right into update mode and everything is good to go. Thanks so much for your help!

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic