Upgrade my tablet

I've always had Android and never had a problem. I won an ipad mini 4 and at first did good flying it with my P4 but after 1 month or so the pad started glitching, cutting out etc. Tried everything to correct it and nothing worked. Went back to my reliable android and works perfect. So iPads are out for me!!

I don't know firsthand but I've read the 2013 version works well

The thing that most forget is that you’re not just buying a decent iPad but it’s an amazing tablet with THOUSANDS of native apps. Not phone apps blown up. Plus a bunch of really amazing creative apps that can work with all the media you shooter n the drone INCLUDING editing 4K video natively. You need to fly? Buy whatever. Even the new iPad 6 is amazing. Want to do more then get the pro and don’t look back.

There are people here that have successfully found SOME android tablets that work for flying but the iPad is such a great device beyond that.

It’s no replacement for a pc or Mac but it’s pretty amazing and is pretty **** stable.
My tablet is dedicated as my FPV device. No extra apps and disabled as many preinstalled apps and services that I could.

Ok...looking at the iPads now...some questions first. I use older firmware on my P3P (1.4) and in turn also use older DJIgo (2.4.3) and older Litchi (4.1.2).

When useing Apple...
1. Can I install older versions of apps? (Side load APK)
2. Can I block updates?
3. How will video edditing on the pad effect file transfer over to my windows 10 PC? (I use Adobe Photoshop, Adobe Premiere, Vegas Pro, and Resolve).

I'm aware that the images and video are saved on the card in the bird, but if I get a bad *** iPad that can edit 4k, will the transfer be seamless over to my PC?

I did a LOT of research when I decided to upgrade from my android note 5 to an iPad. I had the green screen issues, dropped communication issues, all the things you would expect from a sub-standard device. After all that, and about 3 months of looking at specks and trying different platforms where I could, I finally purchased an iPad Pro with cellular and WiFi and 256 gig. I even tried several platforms at a local Best Buy store (it helps if you know the store manager personally). The speed of the Retina display is awesome! I even added the HDMI module to my controller (which really puts the video speed to the test), and it is still VERY responsive. The iPad Pro with cellular and WiFi may be one of the more expensive options, but i did not want to buy another iPad in a couple of years when this one started showing its age. I think it was well worth the investment.

Reactions: Adjday
I also replaced my Nvidia with a Huawei Mediapad M3 8.4 and rate it as outstanding.
Picked one of these up myself after this thread,
Its brilliant, I really am surprised, I got it from Argoose, thinking it will be going back,
After a bit of messing with the USB permissions (make it ask each time sorted that) I got Go4 & Litchi working flawlessly,
Ive disabled everything I dont need, and plan on using it purely for the P4,
Cheers for the heads up Meta4.

Samsung Tab S2 8 inch
Hi kndll. I also have a Galaxy Tab S2 but cannot stop it from disconnecting DJI Go 4 app. Do you have similar experiences and fixes?

Sorry Adjday for hijacking your OP. Did you know that there is a list of compatible devices on the dji website?

DJI Phantom 4 – Specs, FAQ, Tutorials and Downloads

Also here:
https://www.phantomhelp.com/Tips/best-tablets-and-phones-for-dji-go-updated-daily.18

O
nly the devices shown with a yellow dot are claimed to be compatible.

So now it's 2018 and my Nvidia (not k1) is showing some age. Broken screen and the fact that neither the K1 or the older vs is even available, I wanted some suggestions on what to upgrade to. My wife wants to get me the Samsung S tab 3 with Lte. Not only is it huge, I would have to place it on a table just to fly, but it is also quite expensive...but something that I would entertain. The reports of DJI's proprietary tablet just doesn't set well with me (not interested) and I'm more entertaining a second Android for the flexibility and side loading APK.'s.

What do you suggest? All feedback is welcome even if it's an Apple!

And.......start. cheers!
Go for it. I had a Samsung Tab S2, which had the 'problem' with the USB port (Had to ensure tablet was connected to RC and RC powered on before booting tablet), which I tolerated!. Anyway, dropped it and screen broke, which (although still functioning), I started looking for a replacement. Not ever being a fan of Apple (cost, iTunes, overheating, poor screen resolution and battery life, flimsy connector and cable etc) I settled on the Tab S3. Yes it's bigger than the S2 but fits comfortably in the RC cradle (albeit at max opening) and offers the same superior functionality. I haven't had any problems. I had to purchase a larger hood of course and then do a small modification to it (hood) as the S3's USB C port is not, for some odd reason, in the centre. But that was simple enough and transferring setup (apps etc) from S2 was a doddle using Samsung app. Oh and the USB 'problem' doesn't exist on the S3. Hope this helps :)

The Xiaomi Mi-Pad 3 works very well with DJI Go3 (P3 Advanced), DJI Go4 (Mavic Pro) and Litchi (both drones). This is a 7.9" screen of the same brand (Retina) as Ipad mini 4 from Apple. Unfortunately, it seems that Xiaomi discontinued this model. But if you can find it (even second hand) I warmly recommand it.

It used to but the app has been putting on weight and needs a tablet with more grunt (and RAM) these days
Mine worked great for years until last app update and it's been crashing. Wasn't sure if it was app bug or too much for it as you describe.

Well team I bit the Apple. I searched endlessly for a solution and was about to have a buddy order me the Xiaomi Mi-Pad 5 in Italy and ship it over to the US, but that just seamed like to much trouble. The M3 was the runner up, but with it being 2 years old and XDA reports of the lack of support with updates, this quickly fell off my radar.

So I found a new iPad pro 256gb 9.7 for just under $500. Exspecting it to be delivered on Monday. This will be my first Apple product since the iPod! Not sure how this will incorporate with all my Windows PC gear...or how I can transfer all my paid Android apps over, if at all...or if I will even be able to use older apps. Bit this will all be determined on the next few days. I have a 30 day return policy, so if Apple and I don't play well I'll just wait for something to get at a later date.

Thanks for all the support and let's use this thread for further discussions on others hard choices in regards to any new options in the near future.

Cheers!

In order to fly in bright sunlight, I would recommend a tablet with a brightness rating of at least 500 nits. Not sure if that exists or not. I think my Nvidia Shield is about 350 nits and not quite bright enough. Looks like the Mediapad M3 is 400 nits- did not research the others mentioned above. I bought an external monitor that is 1000 nits and you barely need a sun shield.so I have become a believer in the 500 nit minimum rating for a tablet. I would not go with the DJI tablet to get there. Not sure if other manufacturers provide such an animal - I guess they are worried about battery drain.

Lenovo Tab3 P8. It has a Snapdragon 625 which is faster than the Apple A10 and only cost me $150 through Gearbest. Low memory of only 16GB but you can add an SD-card so not a real problem. It runs DJI Go and Litchi fine. It is also bright enough, maybe better than my "old" iPad Air2.

So now it's 2018 and my Nvidia (not k1) is showing some age. Broken screen and the fact that neither the K1 or the older vs is even available, I wanted some suggestions on what to upgrade to. My wife wants to get me the Samsung S tab 3 with Lte. Not only is it huge, I would have to place it on a table just to fly, but it is also quite expensive...but something that I would entertain. The reports of DJI's proprietary tablet just doesn't set well with me (not interested) and I'm more entertaining a second Android for the flexibility and side loading APK.'s.

What do you suggest? All feedback is welcome even if it's an Apple!

And.......start. cheers!
I got an Amazon fire 10" and it doesn't have the Google play store to download it, but their is a tutorial online that shows how to get it in like 5 minutes, and after doing that, the tablet has worked great, and for a 10" screen, it is only 150 compared to and 8" Samsung tablet that is over 200

Go for it. I had a Samsung Tab S2, which had the 'problem' with the USB port (Had to ensure tablet was connected to RC and RC powered on before booting tablet), which I tolerated!. Anyway, dropped it and screen broke, which (although still functioning), I started looking for a replacement. Not ever being a fan of Apple (cost, iTunes, overheating, poor screen resolution and battery life, flimsy connector and cable etc) I settled on the Tab S3. Yes it's bigger than the S2 but fits comfortably in the RC cradle (albeit at max opening) and offers the same superior functionality. I haven't had any problems. I had to purchase a larger hood of course and then do a small modification to it (hood) as the S3's USB C port is not, for some odd reason, in the centre. But that was simple enough and transferring setup (apps etc) from S2 was a doddle using Samsung app. Oh and the USB 'problem' doesn't exist on the S3. Hope this helps :)

I have noticed that my Samsung preferred the Samsung USB lead over cheap copies, my IPhone was the same,
The Huawei is happy with the Samsung USB lead.

If you go to: Best Tablets and Phones for DJI GO (Updated Daily) - Phantom Help, you will see the tablets that will work w/DJI birds, and their specs. Personally, I am paranoid about cell towers and wires that do not appear on maps, and would like to be able to take evasive action if I see such an object "approaching". Therefore, the faster core processor will provide the minimum lag time video feed. I currently use the Shield K1 (2.2 ghz processor). However I note that the Huawei media pad M3 processor is 2.3 ghz. I'm thinkin too......

so are you guys saying that the go app will run on Amazon products? I have a Kindle Fire HD. Will it run on that device if i get Google Play Store to load? I did not think that was an option since theOS is neither Android or IOS. Maybe that Amazon 10 is an Android device?

Hi kndll. I also have a Galaxy Tab S2 but cannot stop it from disconnecting DJI Go 4 app. Do you have similar experiences and fixes?

Sorry Adjday for hijacking your OP. Did you know that there is a list of compatible devices on the dji website?

DJI Phantom 4 – Specs, FAQ, Tutorials and Downloads

Also here:
Best Tablets and Phones for DJI GO (Updated Daily) - Phantom Help

O
nly the devices shown with a yellow dot are claimed to be compatible.
I'm running GO for products before P4 , as I have a P3S , no disconnecting with the standard .

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scav8tor