UPDATE: But Still Balance those Props!

Reaction score
I grabbed a set of unbalanced props this afternoon and put them on my P3P. Shot the following video and you can see the vibration in the landing gear. Video footage however was very smooth. I then put a balanced set on and the landing gear was steady as can be (no video shot).

Take the time to balance props. I suggest using the Dubro device.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

It's not the buzzing landing gear, and video. You balance the props so you don't get stress cracks on motor arms.

There has never been any definitive proof of any of the arm-crack root-cause hypotheses.

Please show your work.

It's more likely nothing more than [generally accepted] Chinese high-volume manufacturing variance (at the plastic mold shops) but I can't prove that either.

Reactions: Teamfour
It's not the buzzing landing gear, and video. You balance the props so you don't get stress cracks on motor arms.
I balance props because vibration of any kind, regardless of what it effects, can't be good.

I balance props because vibration of any kind, regardless of what it effects, can't be good.
Generally its bad for video when you are flying on a non gimbal quad. Back before I had a quad with a gimbal it was a given that I always balanced my props to help minimize the vibration in the video.
But now that I have a gimbal I haven't noticed any jello issues.

Reactions: Teamfour
No doubt continuous vibrations are not good for any assembly, if they get reduced by balancing props, go for it. Balancing will not have any bad effect it will only help your products life.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Dumb question:

How do you balance the props?

You can balance them like this:

If you need a prop balancer, you can find P3 props balancers here or P4 prop balancers here.

You can balance them like this:

If you need a prop balancer, you can find P3 props balancers here or P4 prop balancers here.

Wow that's incredible!! This is such a cool hobby!! It really is sooo much more involved than I initially thought!! Thanks for the links!

Just got my scope fixed. Now I have to make a spin balancer for props. Never know when a hub and blade could cancel each other out.
So far my props have been so close just wiping tip, or edge with sandpaper did it for me on static du-bro.
Might try winding two electromagnets and put shaft though them to cut down friction, just let if float in center. And by helping global warming I can fly more in winter.

UPDATE! I tried to balance the props and it is useless. WHY? They are cheap knock-offs from Amazon. They came in DJI packaging. There are several reviews in the past week complaining about these props they are selling. I just returned those for a refund and bought new props straight from DJI. ISSUE RESOLVED but I will still check the balance on every prop I buy.

There has never been any definitive proof of any of the arm-crack root-cause hypotheses.

Please show your work.

It's more likely nothing more than [generally accepted] Chinese high-volume manufacturing variance (at the plastic mold shops) but I can't prove that either.

I agree 100%

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers