Reaction score
This dji unlock process is ridiculous and full of wasted time, duplication and unnecessary complication creating errors and more wasted time. They nearly destroyed my P4P+ and came very close to damaging badly it at the very least by it's idiotic "Ok your too near a NO-FLY zone I'm landing NOW" . . and you can't do anything about it. . . ha.ha.

Yesterday30 Jul17 I went out near sunset to film a nature reserve near a local Airport, (about a mile away). I had already requested and received dji UNLOCK for 9km around. . . for 3 months . . With "ready to fly" showing I took off and approached the reserve (and the airport) and was stopped by your "No-fly" as if I was not authorized. As I looked to ensure my unlock was still valid the Phantom4 initiated an immediate UNCOMMANDED autoland that I could not stop. It was only by shear luck it was over a 6 ft wide pathway with few overhanging trees and it landed safely and shut down. (680feet from me). 20 ft away on either side was swamp, trees and cornfield. I could not have even gotten near it to catch it if there were obstacles in the way. I thought it was going into the swamp! . .30 seconds later and it likely would have.

It took me 15 min and 4-5 attempts just to reconfirm my UNLOCK reconnect the machine. This was due to the fact there were now TWO unlock entries and one did not work. The other UNLOCK threw up a "call back" message window asking me to enter the code on my phone in a BLANK grey window with only a button called VERIFY and no place to enter the code. After a second attempt with the second call back code I figured out finally that, that window would scroll and acknowledge a "tap" that brings up the keyboard so I could enter the code before it expired in 5 MINUTES!..

They need to UNLOCK based on an authorization code tied to a person who has the machine. . . not go through that song and dance every time. Enter your authorization and it's up to the person to be responsible for the flight. DJI should not be controlling this anyway, Transport Canada should. DJI should just make it possible for them to exercise control over machines in their jurisdiction.

Thanks for the sympathy . . .does not go far with dji . . what I usually get back is an ambiguous explanation, an error in their unlock LAT LONG . . (they don't understand WEST Longitude is "minus 82 deg" . . an inappropriate "please do not worry" . . . . followed by an (if you really want to tick me off ) . ."Thank you and have a wonderful day ahead. :)"

I'm NOT having a wonderful day thank you . . but I'm looking into a DEV KIT that can UN-CALL that subroutine . . . before I lose my P4 and have to argue this the same cheerful DUD about how it just disappeared by landing itself in a swamp.:mad:

I'm sure DJI doesn't have good QA engineers.

Reactions: AyeYo
Maybe the method at 6:20 here may help?

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Imagine if your navigation system for your car could control where the car was driven and you had to use your phone to initiate an override and hope you had a good cell connection at the time. I don't imagine too many people would be driving such cars.

What DJI does not appreciate is that their application requires both 100% accuracy for the locations of the no fly areas and 100% reliability with their GEO unlock process in all situations or the aircraft can be lost or badly damaged or destroyed completely. Wonder who would be liable if the loss of control of the drone resulted in a traffic accident when the drone ignored the controller and its operator? One is not supposed to use the drone over people but an uncontrolled drone could easily hit people in an area adjacent to where it is being flown. Many people are operating at a lakeshore or beach where there are no people in the immediate vicinity but there are people around who could be injured by a drone no longer under the control of its operator.

Instead of possibly hitting a jet plane at 1000 feet we instead have the real possibility of hitting a person out in the open with the drone. This seems misguided and foolhardy on the part of DJI. I worried about losing a $1400 aircraft but the risk of a lawsuit from an uncontrolled drone resulting in injury to one or more persons is a far greater concern. This is really terrible software engineering.

ISO 9000 by the way does nothing to enhance quality. It only insures consistent repeatability which means product or process defects can be performed or produced again and again. Automated software testing using scripts is what can help greatly to locate faulty code after it has been created by the engineers. It is also something that few companies take the time or incur the expense to do even when upper management is smart enough to recognize the problem.

Reactions: anotherlab
Maybe the method at 6:20 here may help?

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
Thanks Solyxius . . .Does it matter what version? Right now my P4P is on version 1.04.0602 and when I just looked back at it now . . just 10 sec later. . . it's all ZEROs . . . and now it's telling me "Firmware Upgrade Required" . . . . how does it know I'm about to strangle it?

Last edited:
I don't believe so, your editing the flight parameters directly on your current aircraft's firmware. I haven't yet needed to try this personally yet. Be very very careful with anything you change (and add any parameters to your Common Use list using the + on the far right of each one, so you can easily Reset if needed).

Anyone able to figure out how to disable NFZ using this video? Seems to be missing the two lines of code needed for P4P.

I had to laugh at this. I didn't think they had ANY QA engineers. With such a high percentage of craft that ship with issues, I'm sure they aren't following ISO9000 processes to improve quality. They keep making the same mistakes, shipping untested craft.

I was little soft on dji but you totally bared them. Forget about improving the quality, they have no processes to even maintain quality.

So what firmware/s is the above video expected to work for when it comes to P4P?

RoOSTA

I called things like this being commonplace in another thread here and was told it was absurd and to not worry it won’t ever happen.

It’s only a matter of time before one of these auto lands on a persons face and then what...

Thank you for that. I decided to have a go with my P4P but chickened out after backing up because the backup bin file was more than twice the size of the roll back bins.
Any idea why this is so?
John.

Why Auto-Land and not RTH? I think its more safe for the AC...
No control input I sent was acknowledged . . Cancelling AUTOLAND failed . . RTH did nothing . . .control inputs did nothing. . . . it just LANDED! . . and shut down.

The problem was it was very close to being over SWAMP . . . hate to think what might have happened over thick forest or open water.

Last edited:
ISO 9000 by the way does nothing to enhance quality. It only insures consistent repeatability which means product or process defects can be performed or produced again and again.
Exactly, that's my point. DJI makes great drones, incredible features and range for the price. Their problem is their quality is highly inconsistent. If they had a quality dept (I highly doubt they do) and tested each craft before packing, hence make them all work 100% out of the box, THAT would be a huge, welcomed IMPROVEMENT in quality! Consistent quality craft that works out of the box would clearly be an improvement.

The author @Digdat0 might be able to chime in on this thread

Yes. He replied back to me on YouTube and I was able to downgrade AC firmware back to 1.03.950 or whatever it was before nightmare began. Now I am able to disable NFZ.,....Or so I think. Just have to get out of my "safe" neighborhood to test it.

Reactions: solyxius

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.