Undecided first time buyer: P4P or Mavic

Reaction score
Hello P4P pilots,
This is this is my first post in this forum. I have not purchased or flown a drone, but have caught the bug and about to pull the trigger and purchase one.
For those of you that also own a Mavic, I'd appreciate you insight.
I'm about to purchase either a P4P or a Mavic Pro and I'm very undecided. My main concern is if the P4P is much louder and larger size if it is more likely to cause issues with neighbors or people in general. Aside from that, the P4P appears to me to be much more durable. That may be a false perception. I believe the Maverick footage would be good enough for my uses. Yes, the portability of the Mavic does seem attractive, but again I like to know your thoughts. Thank you very much in advance for your replies.

My main concern is if the P4P is much louder and larger size if it is more likely to cause issues with neighbors or people in general.
Size-wise and noise-wise, they are pretty close. If your neighbors think the P4P is annoying, they aren't going to be impressed with the Mavic either. It would be best to fly in locations that are not around your neighbors if that's going to cause any problems.

the P4P appears to me to be much more durable
Both have fragile cameras. I don't think either is more durable.

Reactions: Dounin Front
Size-wise and noise-wise, they are pretty close. If your neighbors think the P4P is annoying, they aren't going to be impressed with the Mavic either. It would be best to fly in locations that are not around your neighbors if that's going to cause any problems.

Both have fragile cameras. I don't think either is more durable.
Thank you Msinger!

P4P advantages: Significantly better camera, more stable in windy conditions, selectable ATTI mode.

Mavic advantages: Significantly quieter, much more portable, full DJI Goggles compatibility.

So it really depends on your primary application(s). For me the portability has turned out to be the biggest factor, and I use my Mavic far more than my Phantom. For some applications the better camera on the P4P is going to be the decider though. The Mavic gimbal and camera feel more delicate but @msinger may be correct that they are equally durable - I haven't had any problems with either.

If the camera difference is not the deciding factor - Mavic PRO hands down. After flying phantoms for nearly 2 years and around 500 miles, I've been using my Mavic I got about 4 weeks ago. I am VERY impressed by the product quality overall and also by flight stability and characteristics. The gimbal - well, got to be careful with either gimbals. Don't ever forget to install the gimbal lock (correctly) whenever you don't fly and you will not have any issues with either.

While I can't cary my P4P in a backpack, I keep it in my truck at all times. I can have it up in 3 minutes. If you want quiet, get an Inspire, they are real quiet compared to the P4P. lol

I'm in the same boat, except this will be my second drone. I recently crashed my P3S & I'm looking to purchase another drone. I was looking at the newly released P3SE because I already had all the accesories, but after watching video, after video of the Mavic & P4P, I think that's where I'll put my money instead. I just can't decide if I wanna sacrifice the image quality for the portability. I love the Mavic, but I love the P4P's camera. I hate you DJI.......

Reactions: Newbieguy
I'm in the same boat, except this will be my second drone. I recently crashed my P3S & I'm looking to purchase another drone. I was looking at the newly released P3SE because I already had all the accesories, but after watching video, after video of the Mavic & P4P, I think that's where I'll put my money instead. I just can't decide if I wanna sacrifice the image quality for the portability. I love the Mavic, but I love the P4P's camera. I hate you DJI.......

I love the images of my P4P and you will too.

Reactions: cadeet
I love the images of my P4P and you will too.
My P4P is supposed to be delivered tomorrow and can't wait to get it outside and take a few pics to compare to the Mavic I just returned.

I know Exit 4 well, I have fam in Cherry Hill - I'm exit 9 or 10 - thats such a Jersey name. :)

Reactions: cneedelman
If the camera difference is not the deciding factor - Mavic PRO hands down. After flying phantoms for nearly 2 years and around 500 miles, I've been using my Mavic I got about 4 weeks ago. I am VERY impressed by the product quality overall and also by flight stability and characteristics. The gimbal - well, got to be careful with either gimbals. Don't ever forget to install the gimbal lock (correctly) whenever you don't fly and you will not have any issues with either.

IF the CAMERA is not a reason for buying... MAVIC HANDS DOWN!
Performance differences: Top speed in sport mode by 5 MPH and side obstacle avoidance - well, that only works if it is in beginner or tripod mode. Given my experience flying the Mavic inside the house, I am not sure how much better it would be to have that extra. The Mavic is dead stable inside (no GPS) and perfectly controllable. But, again, if the camera is not the driving factor maybe you prefer to pay more and carry a lot more bulk?

My P4P is supposed to be delivered tomorrow and can't wait to get it outside and take a few pics to compare to the Mavic I just returned.

I know Exit 4 well, I have fam in Cherry Hill - I'm exit 9 or 10 - thats such a Jersey name. :)
I'm right next to Cherry Hill. Good luck with your new P4P.

Both are good craft with their advantages. I prefer my P4P because of the camera sensor and flight range. The battery lasts a little longer in P4P and I can fly farther as a result. Both have good radio range, but the P4P I think is slightly better, however the Mavic's ability to do a slow consistent 360 yaw-pan is better than P4P. My Mavic had the gimbal go bad just sitting in the backpack. DJI covered it under warranty, but I think the Mavic gimbal is way more fragile based on what people have reported on YT and MavicPilots.com forum, and my experience.

I just got back from a trip to Colorado and took both Mavic and P4P. I took the Mavic for hiking purposes, but I never went on a hike, so it didn't get used at all. I will say the Mavic is quieter and works best if capturing animals. Here's a clip below of Geese feeding, up close and personal, captured with my Mavic. You can't do this with a Phantom, guaranteed, way too intimidating and loud. However the clip at the bottom, you can't do with a Mavic either, climb 2800' about 2.5mi away and loiter a few minutes. The Mavic also has sun flare issues because the optics aren't as good IMO. I'm also often disappointed in more prevalent artifacts the Mavic has during raw video playback because it's only recording at 60mps instead of 100mps support in the P4P. The P4P video quality is superior, not to mention the photos are 20mp instead of 12mp on the Mavic. IMO the best value is the P4P if you don't need the portability and lighter weight of the Mavic. I would never recommend a Mavic if you ever plan to do commercial work, it's more appropriate for family video use.

Geese in the river, feeding, using Mavic (look for the artifacts in the bushes and trees)

Colorado Mtn climbing using P4P

Last edited:
Reactions: cadeet
My P4P, controller, 4 batteries (5 if you have 1 in the bird), cables, 2 sets of propellers and extra sd chips, all in my light weight hard shell backpack! That and carry my tablet and I am ready to hike or what ever.:)

Reactions: Conn
My P4P, controller, 4 batteries (5 if you have 1 in the bird), cables, 2 sets of propellers and extra sd chips, all in my light weight hard shell backpack! That and carry my tablet and I am ready to hike or what ever.:)

I don't know what kind of hiking you do, but the Phantom doesn't win this comparison. The Phantom plus equipment that you describe weighs in at around 11 lbs, plus the backpack, compared to the Mavic at 4.5 lbs, or a little over 5 lbs including the case. But the bigger difference is volume. The Mavic case is the size of a small camera bag. Put the Phantom plus gear in a daypack and there's virtually no room for much else. The Mavic disappears in a backpack leaving plenty of space for food, water, clothing and other gear.

I've hiked with both configurations both recreationally and on search and rescue assignments both flat and mountainous terrain, and the difference is night and day. I've mountain biked with the Mavic in a Camelbak. That's simply not happening with a Phantom.

The P4P has some significant advantages, but packability is definitely not one of them.

I don't know what kind of hiking you do, but the Phantom doesn't win this comparison. The Phantom plus equipment that you describe weighs in at around 11 lbs, plus the backpack, compared to the Mavic at 4.5 lbs, or a little over 5 lbs including the case. But the bigger difference is volume. The Mavic case is the size of a small camera bag. Put the Phantom plus gear in a daypack and there's virtually no room for much else. The Mavic disappears in a backpack leaving plenty of space for food, water, clothing and other gear.

I've hiked with both configurations both recreationally and on search and rescue assignments both flat and mountainous terrain, and the difference is night and day. I've mountain biked with the Mavic in a Camelbak. That's simply not happening with a Phantom.

The P4P has some significant advantages, but packability is definitely not one of them.
Agreed, but, 11 lbs or so is not a lot when you have 80 to 90 minutes of 4k video at a great range, in the pack.
The P4P is not the perfect pack drone, true. But the size is a bother, then certainly not the best choice perhaps. :)

Last edited:
Agreed, but, 11 lbs or so is not a lot when you have 80 to 90 minutes of 4k video at a great range, in the lack.
The P4P is not the perfect pack drone, true. But the size is a bother, then certainly not the best choice perhaps. :)

I agree with that. The P4P is quite workable if the main goal of a moderate hike is photography or video. But it's too bulky for significant backcountry work unless you have a team to help you.

I've mountain biked with the Mavic in a Camelbak. That's simply not happening with a Phantom.

I wouldn't say that riding a mountain bike with a P4P simply isn't happening, because it happens all the time on my mountain ebike! I can go places faster and higher in the hills than most mountain bikes without a backpack, not to mention it's easier. Care to race me? :p

Don't get me wrong, I like my Mavic for special requirements, but mountain biking doesn't stop me from using my P4P.

Last edited:
I wouldn't say that riding a mountain bike with a P4P simply isn't happening, because it happens all the time on my mountain ebike! I can go places faster and higher in the hills than most mountain bikes without a backpack, not to mention it's easier. Care to race me? :p

Don't get me wrong, I like my Mavic for special requirements, but mountain biking doesn't stop me from using my P4P.

Fair enough, except that I don't regard riding an ebike as mountain biking any more than I regard riding a dirt bike as mountain biking.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl