Trust your equipment. It is smarter than you!

Reaction score
Or at least it is smarter than me.

Went for a flight today and got the dreaded "aircraft disconnected" at around 2500 feet out. Funny thing was the video and the lost contact went away at the exact same moment. I waited around for several minutes but no sign of the drone. I jumped in the car and went down to the end of the driveway to try and reconnect since the driveway end was about 1000 feet closer to where I last saw the drone. I waved the controller around trying to reconnect but no luck. After about 20 minutes i gave up and headed up the driveway only to find the drone sitting in the driveway about 3 feet from where it took off. In the video at the 1:56 mark you can see me driving down the driveway while the drone streaks by 200 feet overhead and lands by itself waiting for me. This flying robot is smarter than its pilot by far. I swear I could hear my Roomba chuckling at me as I brought the drone in the house....

I see that you are flying near high voltage lines, there you probably have the cause of the disconnection, On the other hand, with so much free field at your disposal, you marked the point of RTH near trees and the house with its antennas. Any error of compass on return, I could have deposited it on the pine! Minimize risks is the first point of the manual, do not forget it! Good flights for you

Went for a flight today and got the dreaded "aircraft disconnected" at around 2500 feet out. Funny thing was the video and the lost contact went away at the exact same moment. I waited around for several minutes but no sign of the drone. I jumped in the car and went down to the end of the driveway to try and reconnect since the driveway end was about 1000 feet closer to where I last saw the drone. I waved the controller around trying to reconnect but no luck. After about 20 minutes i gave up and headed up the driveway only to find the drone sitting in the driveway about 3 feet from where it took off. In the video at the 1:56 mark you can see me driving down the driveway while the drone streaks by 200 feet overhead and lands by itself waiting for me. This flying robot is smarter than its pilot by far. I swear I could hear my Roomba chuckling at me as I brought the drone in the house....

What color was the status light on the remote, I would say you had signal to the Phantom until you got into your car, you had only lost live video and telemetry.

Rod

Hum, I usually have the sound off, so I turned it on for about 5 secs. Not a good choice for me ether..

Since at says Trust, I was thinking of Trust from Megadeth, that wasn't it either. ;)

Rod

Thanks for the laugh

What color was the status light on the remote, I would say you had signal to the Phantom until you got into your car, you had only lost live video and telemetry.

Rod
not sure. In my excitement I neglected to check.

It's not the music its the Language, they try to keep this forum pretty clean. ;)

Rod

After about 20 minutes i gave up and headed up the driveway only to find the drone sitting in the driveway about 3 feet from where it took off.

Been there, done that ...sort of. And you are correct, my Phantoms (either one of them) are definitely smarter than I am. If there's one thing I can count on is RTH doing what it was designed to do ...thank God.

Nice RTH demo! I too have had the screen turn to black & white and then freeze. Always, within about 30 seconds (it seems MUCH longer) the communications returns, the screen shows color, and RTH is implemented. I exit the RTH mode and am back to flying normally. Nice technology.

Nice “GirlTalk” mashup. I dig it.

Hard to watch. Music very distracting and doesn't fit with the rural scenery. However, very glad the technology brought your wonder drone back home where it belonged.

I liked he video and just turn off music when it’s not my style .
No big deal .
Same thing happened to me with my phantom only I was pacing back and forth hoping there was no gps glitch .
Bird came home safe

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20