Tried to crash my P3P but DJI wouldn't let me.

Reaction score
Was flying my P3P this morning about a mile up a long narrow creek (I'm blessed with excellent eyesight ...). Beautiful fall foggy morning. Using IPAD mini 2 as a display - started with only 45% battery on the IPAD, full battery on the drone. Usually would have charged up the IPAD - but seemed like plenty for a 15 minute flight.
Suddenly the IPAD indicated it had only 10% battery left , usually still good for more than 20 minutes - but it suddenly shut down completely and wouldn't restart. Lost sight of the drone in a fog bank - so hit the RTH button - wondering if anything was happening. Someone on this forum always admonishes us to practice this for situations like this. I have practiced this a few times - but with the display working, It asks do you really want to RTH, are you sure etc. Not having the display working - no sign of drone after several minutes - I was nervous to hit the RTH again since that could then cancel the RTH function. Finally re-hit the RTH - and heard the beeping indicating it was active. Drone landed at my feet a few minutes later- whew!

A lot of us fuss about things DJI could do better - but actually have to say this is a pretty incredible - well thought out product Merges technology from battery to camera - plus gimbal & gps plus flight qualities and software.

Looking on google - apparently this not an unusual IOS problem - shutting down with half battery life left. See a lot of folks have had this problem - solutions seem a little vague. Anyone had this problem and found a fix?

I solved this one by charging my iPad to 100% before I fly. Quad = 100% RC =100%. No more worries for me.
I think the OP is asking a specific question about "shutting down with half battery life left." I would also like to know more on the subject.

Once had this happening to me, iPad mini4 shut down with 40% battery and got me in the dark. P3P was a couple miles away, open area, not many obstacles. I took my time to connect my iPhone, start up GO app and kept flying.

It's the only thing I can think of doing in that situation, I always have my iPhone with me anyway. Stay cool, change devices and resume flight if possible.

It only happened once, now the iPad goes to 10% and stays on - though I do my best to try and remember to charge it to 100% before starting a mission. But you pulled that out quite cool as you did too ;)

Once had this happening to me, iPad mini4 shut down with 40% battery and got me in the dark. P3P was a couple miles away, open area, not many obstacles. I took my time to connect my iPhone, start up GO app and kept flying.

It's the only thing I can think of doing in that situation, I always have my iPhone with me anyway. Stay cool, change devices and resume flight if possible.

It only happened once, now the iPad goes to 10% and stays on - though I do my best to try and remember to charge it to 100% before starting a mission. But you pulled that out quite cool as you did too ;)
Good move, I was wishing I had an iphone to do the same thing. I think I'll be getting one soon after this.

Thats the question i had. In case i lose connection with the bird - should i press RTH or not? Because if i do, can it cancel the automatic RTH the bird does after seconds of no signal?

Sent from my SM-G900FD using PhantomPilots mobile app

Thats the question i had. In case i lose connection with the bird - should i press RTH or not? Because if i do, can it cancel the automatic RTH the bird does after seconds of no signal?

Losing the display does not mean losing signal.
As long as the LED on the RC is green, you have signal and you are in control. You don't need the display to fly your quad.

If you do "lose connection with the bird", pressing RTH won't have any effect. Think about it.

Was flying my P3P this morning about a mile up a long narrow creek (I'm blessed with excellent eyesight ...). Beautiful fall foggy morning. Using IPAD mini 2 as a display - started with only 45% battery on the IPAD, full battery on the drone. Usually would have charged up the IPAD - but seemed like plenty for a 15 minute flight.
Suddenly the IPAD indicated it had only 10% battery left , usually still good for more than 20 minutes - but it suddenly shut down completely and wouldn't restart. Lost sight of the drone in a fog bank - so hit the RTH button - wondering if anything was happening. Someone on this forum always admonishes us to practice this for situations like this. I have practiced this a few times - but with the display working, It asks do you really want to RTH, are you sure etc. Not having the display working - no sign of drone after several minutes - I was nervous to hit the RTH again since that could then cancel the RTH function. Finally re-hit the RTH - and heard the beeping indicating it was active. Drone landed at my feet a few minutes later- whew!

A lot of us fuss about things DJI could do better - but actually have to say this is a pretty incredible - well thought out product Merges technology from battery to camera - plus gimbal & gps plus flight qualities and software.

Looking on google - apparently this not an unusual IOS problem - shutting down with half battery life left. See a lot of folks have had this problem - solutions seem a little vague. Anyone had this problem and found a fix?

What was the temp? Cold/freezing? I know my iPhone shuts down in snow or when im high up in elevation. This is due to the chemicals in the battery not being able to react due to low temps.

I have a cheap ($29 a to Besy Buy) ZTE Android phone with the go app on it that I keep in my travel case just in case the iPad acts up.

Reactions: Numone
If you are carrying a power pack and adequate power cord, you can provide juice to your iPad or anything else you have. No more low battery worries!

In the old days, FPV wasn't so common. The important connection is between the controller and the AC. The mobile device is really just fluff.

The fail-safe solution to being sure RTH is invoked is to turn off your controller. You can turn it on again and regain control if you wish - when you see your AC approaching.

Losing the display does not mean losing signal.
As long as the LED on the RC is green, you have signal and you are in control. You don't need the display to fly your quad.

If you do "lose connection with the bird", pressing RTH won't have any effect. Think about it.
Yes. I know all of that. My question was a bit different though

I lose total signal. Video and RC. No green led on the AC.
The drone will initiate rth.
What if during that moment i press RTH button on the RC.

Drone is coming back, remote led turns green(no video signal still).

Will the RTH initiated by me when there was totally 0 signal, cancel the RTH iniiated by drone after no signal for couple of seconds? (So drone stops somewhere. Green led on rc but no video signal)

Sounds like you need a iPad fourm

Sent from my SM-G935T using PhantomPilots mobile app
True - but the folks on this forum seem more technically savvy:) Folks with a similar problem are telling me that this is what happens when an ipad or iphone battery no longer holds a charge normally. I'll probably change the battery - but these idevices are not real fun to work on (imho).

What was the temp? Cold/freezing? I know my iPhone shuts down in snow or when im high up in elevation. This is due to the chemicals in the battery not being able to react due to low temps.
Was getting chilly - about 35 F out. I previously have only had trouble with idevices when they get too hot.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BoguSlav