Tried to crash my P3P but DJI wouldn't let me.

Was getting chilly - about 35 F out. I previously have only had trouble with idevices when they get too hot.

Too hot is the processors cooking.
Too cold is the battery.

35F = 2 Celcius. Add wind chills and I this will cause your phone to drop voltage quickly.
Here's Why Your iPhone Battery Dies in Cold Weather - Orchard

And regarding your phantom 3, make sure you have that firmware that reduces prop propulsion when battery voltage drops too low from cold climates. There was a reported flock of phantoms dropping from the skies from cold weather, especially in the higher altitudes.

Too cold is the battery.

35F = 2 Celcius. Add wind chills and I this will cause your phone to drop voltage quickly.

And regarding your phantom 3, make sure you have that firmware that reduces prop propulsion when battery voltage drops too low from cold climates. There was a reported flock of phantoms dropping from the skies from cold weather, especially in the higher altitudes.
Interesting - good to know as winter is coming. I was waiting with it at the beach for about half an hour - waiting for enough cloud cover to clear to get some better sun light for taking pictures. Next time I'll keep it in the car with the heat on.

For the iPad dropping from 40 percent to dead, I would do a full restore on it. If that does not resolve the issue I would suspect bad battery.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

For the iPad dropping from 40 percent to dead, I would do a full restore on it. If that does not resolve the issue I would suspect bad battery.

Sounds like a good idea - I'll do a full restore - but as it seems to be getting even flakier today - looks like I need to replace the battery.

Too cold is the battery.

Sheesh - I've been living in New England long enough not to think of 35 F as cold - I need to start keeping all this gear warm in the car before flight now that it is getting cooler.

Took it to a few ip

Took it to a local ipad repair spot - cost to fix has me thinking it's a good time to upgrade to a 4th gen mini - folks on this forum give it pretty high praise.

Once had this happening to me, iPad mini4 shut down with 40% battery and got me in the dark. P3P was a couple miles away, open area, not many obstacles. I took my time to connect my iPhone, start up GO app and kept flying.

It's the only thing I can think of doing in that situation, I always have my iPhone with me anyway. Stay cool, change devices and resume flight if possible.

It only happened once, now the iPad goes to 10% and stays on - though I do my best to try and remember to charge it to 100% before starting a mission. But you pulled that out quite cool as you did too ;)
What were you exact steps you did to change from Ipad to your phone in a hurry? I have the Android Note 3. I'm sure a few steps may not apply but would love to know.

Not for nothing, bu the title of this post is "Tried to crash my P3P...". It doesn't sound ANYTHING like you "tried to crash...". All that happened was you lost contact because your iPad died....
I think he was kidding.

I think he was kidding.
True - this ended up being a cold weather lesson. Was colder than I realized and I kept the whole rig out in the cold for a long time waiting for cloud cover to clear. The Ipad battery doesn't like cold any more than the Phantom batteries and in this case died quickly. I flew all last winter with no issues - but kept everything in the heated car right before flight. Lesson Leaned.

True - this ended up being a cold weather lesson. Was colder than I realized and I kept the whole rig out in the cold for a long time waiting for cloud cover to clear. The Ipad battery doesn't like cold any more than the Phantom batteries and in this case died quickly. I flew all last winter with no issues - but kept everything in the heated car right before flight. Lesson Leaned.
Starting to cool down here today in Scottsdale. 96 F today!

Starting to cool down here today in Scottsdale. 96 F today!

Yikes that is cool - too funny.

Not sure whether to say "lucky you" or "poor you" - you must get some wickedly hot days in the summer down there that make flying as lousy as cold days we get.

Yikes that is cool - too funny.

Not sure whether to say "lucky you" or "poor you" - you must get some wickedly hot days in the summer down there that make flying as lousy as cold days we get.
Oh yes. An hour drive north and you're in the mountains though. Best Fall, Winter and Spring weather in the U.S. though.

What was the temp? Cold/freezing? I know my iPhone shuts down in snow or when im high up in elevation. This is due to the chemicals in the battery not being able to react due to low temps.
I've had this same issue flying last winter when it was cold out. My iPhone went from 30% to 0 in a matter of seconds and shut off. Luckily I had a visual on my P3S and was able to bring it down safely.

Yes. I know all of that. My question was a bit different though

I lose total signal. Video and RC. No green led on the AC.
The drone will initiate rth.
What if during that moment i press RTH button on the RC.

Drone is coming back, remote led turns green(no video signal still).

Will the RTH initiated by me when there was totally 0 signal, cancel the RTH iniiated by drone after no signal for couple of seconds? (So drone stops somewhere. Green led on rc but no video signal)

Sent from my SM-G900FD using PhantomPilots mobile app

I think it will cancel RTH if you press RTH button while the drone is RTH. For me, I always turn off the controller for at least 3 seconds when I lose signal with the drone to initiate failsafe RTH especially a long distance flight.

Looking on google - apparently this not an unusual IOS problem - shutting down with half battery life left. See a lot of folks have had this problem - solutions seem a little vague. Anyone had this problem and found a fix?

Lucky you and good thinking on your part - musta been a scary moment for sure. Great idea another poster mentioned about having a back-up like an iPhone or something else - just in case.

Some tips to remember when using iPad for flying include......

Adjust the screen brightness to less than 100% if conditions permit. Lowering the screen to around the 70 – 80% brightness level can add an extra hour or more of battery life.

Apple says the battery life is good for around "10 hours" - however, keep in mind and expect is to last about 4 to 6 hours when using it with a GPS and an aviation app.

Close unneeded apps that are running in the background

Always start each flight with a 100% charge

Perform a complete charge cycle every few months to calibrate the battery life indicator. This involves completely draining the battery to 0%, charging it fully to 100%, then draining the battery back down to 0% again before recharging a second time.

Not familiar with how iOS devices operate but when using Android device the RC controller charges the phone/tablet. So as long as the RC is fully charged, no worries.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1