Tried to crash my P3P but DJI wouldn't let me.

Not familiar with how iOS devices operate but when using Android device the RC controller charges the phone/tablet. So as long as the RC is fully charged, no worries.
Interesting - I would have sworn it used to keep my Ipad charged as well several versions back - now it doesn't. Unless there is setting in the DJIGO app that sets this feature ?

Was flying my P3P this morning about a mile up a long narrow creek (I'm blessed with excellent eyesight ...). Beautiful fall foggy morning. Using IPAD mini 2 as a display - started with only 45% battery on the IPAD, full battery on the drone. Usually would have charged up the IPAD - but seemed like plenty for a 15 minute flight.
Suddenly the IPAD indicated it had only 10% battery left , usually still good for more than 20 minutes - but it suddenly shut down completely and wouldn't restart. Lost sight of the drone in a fog bank - so hit the RTH button - wondering if anything was happening. Someone on this forum always admonishes us to practice this for situations like this. I have practiced this a few times - but with the display working, It asks do you really want to RTH, are you sure etc. Not having the display working - no sign of drone after several minutes - I was nervous to hit the RTH again since that could then cancel the RTH function. Finally re-hit the RTH - and heard the beeping indicating it was active. Drone landed at my feet a few minutes later- whew!

A lot of us fuss about things DJI could do better - but actually have to say this is a pretty incredible - well thought out product Merges technology from battery to camera - plus gimbal & gps plus flight qualities and software.

Looking on google - apparently this not an unusual IOS problem - shutting down with half battery life left. See a lot of folks have had this problem - solutions seem a little vague. Anyone had this problem and found a fix?

It could be a battery issue with your iPad not necessarily an iOS problem especially if you're not using a new version of iOS but one of the varying subsequent updates. Best bet to keep your battery in good condition is to every once in a while completely drain the battery till it shuts down. It will extend the life of the battery as well as accuracy of the meter. Again though a battery which regularly fails suddenly from a high percentage is generally indicative that it's time to replace the battery. It's also always a good idea to do a fresh reboot boot of your device before you fly.

What were you exact steps you did to change from Ipad to your phone in a hurry? I have the Android Note 3. I'm sure a few steps may not apply but would love to know.

I don't recall exactly but it's pretty simple: disconnect the "empty" tablet from the TX, connect the "fresh" one and start DJI GO (in my case that specific time it was an iPad Mini4 that went blank replaced by my own iPhone 5S). Then you connect the AC like you would normally, and you're up and with camera view again.

Takes seconds really, just take your time and The P3 will hold still in the exact same place if let got the sticks so there's no need to rush or fear. I switch tablets and especially apps quite often during missions actually, for instance when I'm capturing nadir images with a grid app then move to another mid-flight for oblique ones, or to bring the AC back, etc.

Reactions: len750
I don't recall exactly but it's pretty simple: disconnect the "empty" tablet from the TX, connect the "fresh" one and start DJI GO (in my case that specific time it was an iPad Mini4 that went blank replaced by my own iPhone 5S). Then you connect the AC like you would normally, and you're up and with camera view again.

Takes seconds really, just take your time and The P3 will hold still in the exact same place if let got the sticks so there's no need to rush or fear. I switch tablets and especially apps quite often during missions actually, for instance when I'm capturing nadir images with a grid app then move to another mid-flight for oblique ones, or to bring the AC back, etc.
Thanks Alex. Think I'll be practicing that in case It's needed one day. With a full charge on my iPad of course.

Not for nothing, bu the title of this post is "Tried to crash my P3P...". It doesn't sound ANYTHING like you "tried to crash...". All that happened was you lost contact because your iPad died....
Was thinking the same exact thing!

Reactions: kenjancef
Hmm the ipad isnt charging when its hooked to the DJI TX?

using an Nvidia shield on the microUSB connection i get charging indication status on the Shield ie the shield is drawing power from the RCTX..

hzl

Was flying my P3P this morning about a mile up a long narrow creek (I'm blessed with excellent eyesight ...). Beautiful fall foggy morning. Using IPAD mini 2 as a display - started with only 45% battery on the IPAD, full battery on the drone. Usually would have charged up the IPAD - but seemed like plenty for a 15 minute flight.
Suddenly the IPAD indicated it had only 10% battery left , usually still good for more than 20 minutes - but it suddenly shut down completely and wouldn't restart. Lost sight of the drone in a fog bank - so hit the RTH button - wondering if anything was happening. Someone on this forum always admonishes us to practice this for situations like this. I have practiced this a few times - but with the display working, It asks do you really want to RTH, are you sure etc. Not having the display working - no sign of drone after several minutes - I was nervous to hit the RTH again since that could then cancel the RTH function. Finally re-hit the RTH - and heard the beeping indicating it was active. Drone landed at my feet a few minutes later- whew!

A lot of us fuss about things DJI could do better - but actually have to say this is a pretty incredible - well thought out product Merges technology from battery to camera - plus gimbal & gps plus flight qualities and software.

Looking on google - apparently this not an unusual IOS problem - shutting down with half battery life left. See a lot of folks have had this problem - solutions seem a little vague. Anyone had this problem and found a fix?

the RC controller charges the phone/tablet

Are you sure the mobile device is REALLY charging from the RC?

A few months ago I saw a post here that indicated the mobile device is not really getting any power from the RC.

Are you sure the mobile device is REALLY charging from the RC?

A few months ago I saw a post here that indicated the mobile device is not really getting any power from the RC.
IMG_20161023_144539889.jpg

If you are carrying a power pack and adequate power cord, you can provide juice to your iPad or anything else you have. No more low battery worries!

In the old days, FPV wasn't so common. The important connection is between the controller and the AC. The mobile device is really just fluff.

The fail-safe solution to being sure RTH is invoked is to turn off your controller. You can turn it on again and regain control if you wish - when you see your AC approaching.
Thanks! That's the nugget of important info -- when you go blind and panic sets in (and you can't remember the sequence RTH wants you to go through) killing the controller is the answer

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.