Trickle down features from P4P to P4?

Reaction score
Anyone think some of these new tracking features will trickle down to P4? I get that the P4 doesn't have 360 obstacle sensing, but you can do reverse tracking manoeuvres on the P4, so don't see any reason some of these features shouldn't eventually be extended to the P4? Especially since they can already be achieved via third party software.

I doubt it. The Mavic Pro has been out for a while now and none of its new flight modes/features have trickled down to the P4.

Yup, and that's a bit crap on DJI's behalf but that's marketing for you! It's a bit of a shame really not to add value after a product is released....

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

The P4 should be able to handle all of those new flight modes.

Yup, and that's a bit crap on DJI's behalf but that's marketing for you! It's a bit of a shame really not to add value after a product is released....

They ALL do the same. I like iOS devices, Apple does the same all the time. In fact all companies do the same, that's how they make money from consumers and stay in business.

They ALL do the same. I like iOS devices, Apple does the same all the time. In fact all companies do the same, that's how they make money from consumers and stay in business.
Not really true. Apple does just the opposite. They give you almost ALL of the features with each OS release, ultimately rendering your device physically incapable of functioning.

Not that this is any better, but if you buy an iPhone 6, you know you will get to enjoy the features of ios10 ios11. And if you buy a PC, you know you will be able to install Windows 7, 8, 10 etc.

I get why you'd want to keep certain features exclusive, but that exclusivity should be tied to the capabilities of the upgraded hardware. Anything the P4 is CAPABLE of doing, it should be able to do. Okay, so the P4 can't do precision landing like the Mavic or take 4k slo mo shots, but it can do a bunch of stuff the P4P can do. It's got the brains. Not cool to hold so much functionality back just to push new hardware.

Reactions: Dinerve
Yeah, Apple devices do get crippled intentionally by firmware/new iOS iterations, but not before 2-3 years, not 6 months....And stopping firmware improvements (other than required fixes) within 6 months is lame imho.

Not that I cannot live without these features, but makes the investment much more enjoyable...

Last edited:
Reactions: gppms
Its like anything else as soon as you buy it.something better comes out.
what are you going to do.

It is a shame thought as soon as you buy something.Something better comes out.
But if you don't buy it.Your never know.

This is even happening with Tesla.. Haha.. I am enjoying my Phantom 4 to no end.. Definitely one of the best, if not enjoyable tools I have ever bought for photography.. Don't get caught up in features and tech specs. As a photographer, composition and development is the art of the trade.. The 1080 is still incredible on the Phantom as is the 4k video if you are video person - think back to five years ago.... As a photographer I am curious how the stills will be on the new Phantom, however I will leave the upclose and personal shots with bokeh in my hands and not in the sky. The extended dynamic range is something I am very interested in as well.

On the plus side, one thing has trickled down - and that is the battery. I just talked to one of the customer service people at DJI (through their webchat) and I did confirm through them that the new higher capacity battery is compatable with our current P4's.. Maybe that's why people have been seeing the standard batteries prices come down on different websites. DJI currently offers both batteries at the same price point. Maybe we get to extend our P4's flight range just a bit.. :)

Reactions: JWH
Interesting! Will have to upgrade a battery or two at some point and see what the difference is. I'm holding out hope that they will add one or two more features to the P4. The fact that it's a P4 Pro and not a P5 gives me hope.

You got it. I'll take any extra battery time I can get.

Its like anything else as soon as you buy it.something better comes out.
what are you going to do.
Spend the money. I want that camera on the P4P but it's upsetting that the dual encode is just another form of h.264 which is smaller but is actually worse for playback because of it's overly compressed. Its a better compression algorithm than h.264 but you're definitely going to have to blow those up to ProRes for easy editing and color grading.

Inspire 2 (and it's CinemaDNG and ProRes) might be in my future.

Per the P4P specs, it's only going to add two minutes of flight time.
Yeah, but it's going to add two more minutes of flight time which is hopefully a) more honest flight times and b) adding flight time while also adding things like more cameras and inferred cameras on the side, so even though they are adding to it, plus making the body stronger, they are increasing the amount of time. I was surprised when it wasn't less when I heard it would be using the same batteries.

To me, an increased flight time is a surprise in the positive, not in the negative.

2 mins is a lifetime when you're struggling to make it home!!

Keep in mind, the 2 minutes also accounts for more hardware (sensors, processing power, etc) on the P4P. So, maybe on the P4, we'll get more than 2 minutes? Maybe 5? Hell, at the same price point, its a win either way. Sucks, I just recently bought two batteries at full price. Had I known this, I would've waited...

Keep in mind, the 2 minutes also accounts for more hardware (sensors, processing power, etc) on the P4P. So, maybe on the P4, we'll get more than 2 minutes? Maybe 5? Hell, at the same price point, its a win either way. Sucks, I just recently bought two batteries at full price. Had I known this, I would've waited...
Coming from someone who just bought the P4 standard, and a photographer on the side.. I am still very enthusiastic about my P4.. The reactions I get from people while flying it are VERY positive (I love attention but no one cares about me - they are staring at the P4 just floating in front of them) and they are always amazed at the video it captures. I am looking forward to my next DJI purchase, but for now I am content learning on a (still amazing) platform - The Phantom 4... Until next time DJI - I cant wait for my next upgrade if this is what is to come!!! Great job!!

Reactions: John1960
Coming from someone who just bought the P4 standard, and a photographer on the side.. I am still very enthusiastic about my P4.. The reactions I get from people while flying it are VERY positive (I love attention but no one cares about me - they are staring at the P4 just floating in front of them) and they are always amazed at the video it captures. I am looking forward to my next DJI purchase, but for now I am content learning on a (still amazing) platform - The Phantom 4... Until next time DJI - I cant wait for my next upgrade if this is what is to come!!! Great job!!
I completely agree. The Phantom 4 is not obsolete due to this the new addition. Realistically for me, my next upgrade would be two generations from now, meaning, Phantom 5 Pro? I can't even imagine what that'll have. The new features are nice, but the technology is too fast for it's audience in my opinion. 95% of the consumers do not have computers to run 4K @30fps 60MB/s smoothly...YouTube 4K doesn't utilize the full benefits. BluRay 4K downgrades the bitrate for the bluray players, etc. But for the future, future proofing your work, it'll be nice. I'm more interested in the sensor and low-light capabilities, or the high dynamic range. Mechanical shutter has proven to be ideal for these applications.

I still get a lot of attention when I'm filming, it has gotten to the point where it's becoming annoying and interferes my work lol Perhaps the new batteries would make up for the loss time explaining the features and capabilities of the drone to a stranger. Just the other day, a buddy and I were photographing the coastline. He has a $3k camera on a tripod and another in his hand, yet people were asking me if I got the cool shots...

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic