Tracking Devices.....

SPD

Reaction score
Hi all, maybe another silly question but I was looking at some chats about trackers and read many a story of lost drones and crashes etc. I guess my question is : when you (for whatever reason) lose/crash your drone, if it falls from the sky wouldn't you just be tracking pieces of your drone at that point or is the P4 durable enough to withstand some high falls or tree strikes, or big foot encounters? thanks for any input!

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Hi all, maybe another silly question but I was looking at some chats about trackers and read many a story of lost drones and crashes etc. I guess my question is : when you (for whatever reason) lose/crash your drone, if it falls from the sky wouldn't you just be tracking pieces of your drone at that point or is the P4 durable enough to withstand some high falls or tree strikes, or big foot encounters? thanks for any input!

It could be that the drone has run out of battery and done an emergency landing as it does at 10%, or that it was on its way home RTH when it stopped due to a building in its path and hovered till the battery went low causing a auto landing, and it is also possible that it has flown into a tree -esp if you fly sports mode with no C/Avoidance on, these are all situations where little or no damage is done, so worth retrieving. There is a story recently on here where a drone parked itself on a building ledge and the owner managed to get it back. I myself am a cheapskate and use a Tile locator - only works couple of hundred feet but better than nothing.

Reactions: RémyHeli
or big foot encounters?

Those guys love stealing quads, they fly them around so they can capture pictures/videos of hikers etc. They sit around in their caves showing their buddies their footage "see, right there, that's a human, I told you they exist. " "I don't see anything" "look right there between those bushes, that's a human I tell ya, **** I wish these things had zoom" "I think your seeing what you want to see, there's nothing there"
Lol but for your question it all depends on how high the fall was from and what it hit, if you crash into some bushes even from pretty high it may be relatively unscathed maybe a broken prop or no damage at all. Phantoms are pretty tough

^^ I hear ya. They will take anything! Already lost a couple footballs, countless cases of beer, (they usually stuff the cans in my gutters), and I can't even talk about all the bikes they have. --thanks guys that makes sense.

You have 4k pictures of big foot you can sell them and buy 10 drones. So definitely go get it back.

Reactions: GhostRdrTat
Those guys love stealing quads, they fly them around so they can capture pictures/videos of hikers etc. They sit around in their caves showing their buddies their footage "see, right there, that's a human, I told you they exist. " "I don't see anything" "look right there between those bushes, that's a human I tell ya, **** I wish these things had zoom" "I think your seeing what you want to see, there's nothing there"
Lol but for your question it all depends on how high the fall was from and what it hit, if you crash into some bushes even from pretty high it may be relatively unscathed maybe a broken prop or no damage at all. Phantoms are pretty tough

besides even if drone is a complete loss. You can still rip out it's guts to see how it worked. Find the "hard drive" and plug it into another system to access the firmware.
You have gps chips, accelerators, compass, gyros, altimeters, h-bridges. Chances of them being dead are very slim unless the batteries exploded on impact.

Tracking is a good idea, but you must remember to turn it on every time you launch. This sounds easy, but you have to get into the routine every time you launch. You must also get into the routine of charging another battery, whether it's for Trackimo or Marco Polo style trackers, it's another battery.

I took the opposite path. I bought an Army camouflage vinyl wrap to make it hard to find when I lose my drone in the bushes. Don't ask my why. I just thought it looked cool at the time.

Tracking is a good idea, but you must remember to turn it on every time you launch. This sounds easy, but you have to get into the routine every time you launch. You must also get into the routine of charging another battery, whether it's for Trackimo or Marco Polo style trackers, it's another battery.

I took the opposite path. I bought an Army camouflage vinyl wrap to make it hard to find when I lose my drone in the bushes. Don't ask my why. I just thought it looked cool at the time.

Should have gotten the artic cammo. oh, the drone already comes in that.....
So how well did the jungle cammo show up in the sky?

I have a couple of little syma x5hw-1's and they are lime green, crashed one in the alfalfa field next door and it definitely wasn't the easiest thing to find lol going camo would be a nightmare unless downed in a desert or snow lol

Should have gotten the artic cammo. oh, the drone already comes in that.....
So how well did the jungle cammo show up in the sky?
Now that's funny, arctic cammo equipped, standard equipment!

My Army cammo helps a little in the sky, but not a lot since most of the vinyl is on the top of the craft. If I was buying today I'd go for the Best Buy black unit. That thing looks very nice.

Last edited:
No that's funny, arctic cammo equipped, standard equipment!

My Army cammo helps a little in the sky, but not a lot since most of the vinyl is on the top of the craft. If I was buying today I'd go for the Best Buy black unit. That thing looks very nice.
I wonder how hard it is to just take everything out of the bird and dye the shell like dying props. Dye it black cuz your right that black edition at best buy looks sick lol I've never been brave enough to take it apart, I didn't like taking the rc apart to do the tablet mount mod :eek: lol

I bought the black props from Best Buy. I doubt if that will help with contrast while flying, but maybe. The black props just look good while non operational. My props arrive next week, I'll find out then what the sky view is like.

I have black props on the back of my ac orange in front, the black props stick out like a soar thumb :)

Totally worth to recover the drone.Before some months my P2 fall from the sky due to a fail motor 2 KM from me.I was able to recover it thanks to a Rf-v 16 tracker.The damage was the Brocken gimbal and the legs,all the others GoPro 4 black the lightbridge tx device and the P2 was ok.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

Thanks all! Ps: don't buy the invisibility decals; being a newbie I fell for it and lost my drone 45 seconds into flight. SMH

We sell the Marco Polo kit.
No cell, no GPS and up to 2 mile range.
Theses a video on our site of it in use.
The transmitter is only 12 grams and has a 10 day standby power.
The locator when switched on tells the transmitter to send "pings" every 2 seconds.
Just follow the directional arrow and watch the signal strength.
Steve

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.