Trackers: this one saves your **s

You're suggesting your control transmitter on the remote control is actually a transceiver.

I don't think so, but I don't have a P3. On my P2V, I'll get a different warning message depending on which signal I lose. If I lose the control signal for a few seconds but I have FPV, I get that warning message. That's the aircraft sending telemetry, notifying me it senses no control signal (but I already have a clue since I can see on the FPV screen the craft is hoving instead of moving forward). A few seconds later it will tell me it's in RTH. If I lose what carries the FPV signal, I get a warning for that (it's different), and that's from my app directly, since it senses no FPV signal. However, when I lose the actual video signal, I will sometimes NOT get the warning that I have no FPV signal. This means I have a very weak signal - not enough to carry video but enough to carry some telemetry. In that case, I do have a signal - a single bar (it's red instead of white in Litchi) showing a very weak signal. And then I'll still get an intermittent telemetry update on something (e.g. battery) even with everything else is not being updated.

When I lose FPV first and get that warning, that's it for warnings. No more warnings. I might have control and I might not. I have to guess. Gosh I hope it's not flying away. Gosh I hope it didn't crash. Gosh I hope somebody didn't shoot it down. Gosh I hope it's coming back. Gosh I hope it's pointing at me. Gosh... I have no way of knowing - unless I can see it in the sky... or ... I glance at the Flytrex app.

I'm just saying I haven't seen it before where I have RC control but not telemetry. I believe the two are tied together. If you lose RC you lose telemetry and vice versa. I have lost FPV only though as there are two distinct messages for signal loss, one for FPV and one for RC. There isn't a separate message for telemetry signal loss.

In this specific case Flytrex wouldn't do me any good or I should say add any more value as I have and could easily fly back home using the Map in the Go App.

I'm just saying I haven't seen it before where I have RC control but not telemetry. I believe the two are tied together. If you lose RC you lose telemetry and vice versa. I have lost FPV only though as there are two distinct messages for signal loss, one for FPV and one for RC. There isn't a separate message for telemetry signal loss.
My aircraft is a P2V. I do know that I've lost FPV and not rcvd the warning telling me I've lost FPV. And that's because I still have the FPV signal - albeit weak - one red bar. And I'm also still getting intermittent telemetry. When I do get the warning that I lost FPV, there is no more telemetry. The other thing is, how can your device/monitor/phone receive and display the data from two signals at once?

Last edited:
I was out 3 miles on an autonomous flight, lost both signals on my RC, pulled up Flytex to see what it was doing and saw that it was not moving. I had hit a tree (didn't allow for elevation change, pilot error). Immediately got into my car and drove to the exact location on the Flytrex app and found my P3P in a forest. Will never fly without Flytex on my bird.

Reactions: dirtybum
I'm just saying I haven't seen it before where I have RC control but not telemetry. I believe the two are tied together. If you lose RC you lose telemetry and vice versa. .

Not necessarily, because I lost everything where it just said no signal and go app was Blank yet I hit return to home and opened up my Flytrex app and because I had the stick full throttle and smart return to home mode it was coming back at me at 49 miles an hour even though my go app said no signal, So I still had control of the bird with no signal on the app. Without Flytrx you would've never known that you was going One Direction or the other but you could've still controlled it that direction. Which definitely could lead to problems with an experienced pilot.

Which definitely could lead to problems with an experienced pilot.

Just imagine the problems for an inexperienced pilot.....

:rolleyes:

:p

Reactions: dirtybum

In this specific case Flytrex wouldn't do me any good or I should say add any more value as I have and could easily fly back home using the Map in the Go App.
Okay - I spent a little time reading about Lightbridge today, and you might be right. It might be that the P3 uses one signal for everything via Lightbridge.

https://www.google.com/search?q=how+does+lightbridge+work?&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

I have never permantly lost the ability to use the Go App and I have never lost FPV and telemetry but still had RC control.

I believe, I could be wrong, that RC and telemetry are carried on the same signal seperwte from FPV, which would explain why I have had complete loss of FPV but was able to use the Go App Map to guide myself home.

I always lose FPV signal before RC. One way to test this is to flybas far as you can before you lose FPV and take note of the distance. Now continue to try to fly out further using the controller for say 10 more seconds or so. No initiate RTH. When you com back, take a look at your log and see how far you actually went. If it was further than when you lost FPV, it shows you still had RC control and still continued to fly even after FPV loss.

Not necessarily, because I lost everything where it just said no signal and go app was Blank yet I hit return to home and opened up my Flytrex app and because I had the stick full throttle and smart return to home mode it was coming back at me at 49 miles an hour even though my go app said no signal, So I still had control of the bird with no signal on the app. Without Flytrx you would've never known that you was going One Direction or the other but you could've still controlled it that direction. Which definitely could lead to problems with an experienced pilot.

Did you restart your Go App?

I always lose FPV signal before RC. One way to test this is to flybas far as you can before you lose FPV and take note of the distance. Now continue to try to fly out further using the controller for say 10 more seconds or so. No initiate RTH. When you com back, take a look at your log and see how far you actually went. If it was further than when you lost FPV, it shows you still had RC control and still continued to fly even after FPV loss.

Yes FPV usually goes before RC. But RC and Telemetry are tied together. Telemetry is the data you see in the Go App, speed, battery percentage, distance, your map, etc etc. I don't believe it's possible to lose telemetry but still have RC unless your Go App takes a massive dump and doesn't come back when you restart it which is very very rare. Not impossible but pretty rare.

I think the Flytrex has tremendous value (if there's cellular coverage) for the use case when your P3 is lost and you need to determine its last transmitted location as others have mentioned in this thread.

Yes FPV usually goes before RC. But RC and Telemetry are tied together. Telemetry is the data you see in the Go App, speed, battery percentage, distance, your map, etc etc. I don't believe it's possible to lose telemetry but still have RC unless your Go App takes a massive dump and doesn't come back when you restart it which is very very rare. Not impossible but pretty rare.

I think the Flytrex has tremendous value (if there's cellular coverage) for the use case when your P3 is lost and you need to determine its last transmitted location as others have mentioned in this thread.
Like I said if you lose signal and it's in return to home mode you can still push forward on the sticks or up down left right and control it in return to home mode

FlyTrex is a handy device to have. Be glad when they make it so u can control your Phantom via the Cell Phone signal.

Last edited:
I don't understand the point of "hitting RTH" after all signal was lost. What did you expect the RC to do? Send a pigeon?

I had this same mentality until this happened. I was flying about a mile away, I lost connection while in ATTI mode and the quad just started drifting. Little did I know I was still connected to the quad via the RC link just not the video feed. According to the logs and video, the quad continued to drift until I pressed the RTH button. It definitely doesn't hurt anything to press it and may cause issues like the one I had if you don't.

Edit: I also bought a trackimo after this to have a "backup plan."

I don't understand the point of "hitting RTH" after all signal was lost. What did you expect the RC to do? Send a pigeon?
Thanks RMFA
You definetly want to do what you can to make sure that it starts heading home right now when you're that far out, which for me includes hitting the return to home button and checking the Flytrx app to make sure it's returning to home even before I regain video signal.
I know Erroll thought he was funny standing up in front of the class but he didnt add anything to the conversation and i would put my dollar down that when he ,or any of the other flyers that thought he was adding knowledge, hit RTH button when they lose their signal

I had this same mentality until this happened. I was flying about a mile away, I lost connection while in ATTI mode and the quad just started drifting. Little did I know I was still connected to the quad via the RC link just not the video feed. According to the logs and video, the quad continued to drift until I pressed the RTH button. It definitely doesn't hurt anything to press it and may cause issues like the one I had if you don't.
."

It has nothing to do with my mentality. The original poster stated, and I quote : "Then, dropped signal, everything! I hit RTH."

Now English may not be my first language, but even to me, that statement suggests that the RC signal was included in everything.

;)

It has nothing to do with my mentality. The original poster stated, and I quote : "Then, dropped signal, everything! I hit RTH."

Now English may not be my first language, but even to me, that statement suggests that the RC signal was included in everything.

;)
It's very common while flying long distance(especially with this new motors P3) I have, for signal to drop but you can still move forward and still have control and telemetry. When I said everything drops that means the screen on the go app goes gray and says no signal. I have already verified by using my Flytrex app that just because your app is gray and says no signal you can still control the phantom with stick movement. And therefore you can still control the return to home button! And because you can still control the aircraft there's no guarantee that it's automatically returning to home without hitting the return to home button. So even though you loose Signal, you have very good reason to also hit return to home but if that's what you wish to accomplish

It's very common while flying long distance(especially with this new motors P3) I have, for signal to drop but you can still move forward and still have control and telemetry. When I said everything drops that means the screen on the go app goes gray and says no signal. I have already verified by using my Flytrex app that just because your app is gray and says no signal you can still control the phantom with stick movement. And therefore you can still control the return to home button! And because you can still control the aircraft there's no guarantee that it's automatically returning to home without hitting the return to home button. So even though you loose Signal, you have very good reason to also hit return to home but if that's what you wish to accomplish

Cool. So it wasn't everything.

You don't need Flytrex to tell you if you can still control the quad. If the led on the RC is green, you're good.

Fly safe!
:cool:

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj