To update or not to update

Reaction score
Hello all..
I just received my brand new Phantom 4 Pro +.. This AC/RC is to replace the Phantom 4 Pro + that is currently @ DJI repair and may be there for quite sometime. The RC is nagging me to update the firmware (Firmware update has not been completed on the RC or the AC as it is new out of box). I'm ignoring the prompts to update and will do so based on my previous experience with recent firmware version failures (hence the CAS/Repair).

Should I update or wait a few months?

I'd say if it's flying good leave it for now. I have been flying my P4 with older firmware (GO 3.1.3 RC 1.6 AC .....0503) and it flys with NO issues like a charm, my P4 has over 1000 miles flown in 16 months.

Last edited:
Reactions: ROD PAINTER
DJI GO is updated on the RC along with the firmware. If you want to run the most recent version of DJI GO (that's available for the P4P+), then you'll have to upgrade the firmware. Keeping the firmware updated in general is good idea in most cases.

FWIW, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" is surely a popular phrase commonly mentioned by those pilots who refuse to update the firmware (for whatever reason). What you should really ponder are those things that are broke and not uncovered by many. It's not uncommon for firmware updates to come packed with undocumented tweaks/fixes. If you want to fly on the firmware that DJI engineers feel is the safest, then upgrading is something you should strongly consider.

DJI GO is updated on the RC along with the firmware. If you want to run the most recent version of DJI GO (that's available for the P4P+), then you'll have to upgrade the firmware. Keeping the firmware updated in general is good idea in most cases.

FWIW, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" is surely a popular phrase commonly mentioned by those pilots who refuse to update the firmware (for whatever reason). What you should really ponder are those things that are broke and not uncovered by many. It's not uncommon for firmware updates to come packed with undocumented tweaks/fixes. If you want to fly on the firmware that DJI engineers feel is the safest, then upgrading is something you should strongly consider.
well said.

I got a brand new a/c from DJI and on the 4th flight it went straight into the concrete runway and splattered all over the place.
Dji will have it on Tuesday.

I'm on the latest firmare both for plus controller and p4p and all is working good (i dont use intelligent flight modes cos they have always been a disaster on the plus controller)

I beleive that if it's not broken, then don't fix it)

Well said..
After much testing and my second P4P+ (the first ir @ DJI Repair), I have found that (at least for me) updating the RC, NOT the AC seems to be the best solution (again, for me). I've tested all weekend and found that updating the RC has much feature benefits.
The last time I updated the AC it became unstable and aggressive. I think I'll stick to the yea on the RC and nay on the AC until the next firmware is out and thoroughly tested.

By the way.. The RC will nag to update the AC, I just simply deleted the update TXT file found on the RC SD Card.

By the way.. The RC will nag to update the AC, I just simply deleted the update TXT file found on the RC SD Card.

Wise choice on NOT updating AC in spite of what others will recommend. It can be a disaster so why risk it not to mention giving up more control of your drone to DJI which is probably why they and their surrogates on here are so adamant about updating. Good tip about the TXT file I will have to try that too.

When I received my P4P I swear my iPad started updating both my GO and GO4 apps without asking. I also got in trouble when I moved my HDMI USB board from my P3P to my P4P and put the USB board from the P4P onto my P3P remote. When I fired up the app and turned on the AC and RC I was told I had to update the Remote. Once done My P3P no longer showed as connected.

It took two sessions with support (after putting the HDMI USB board back onto the P3P's remote) and about a week before I accidentally got the P3P working again. The fact that you can't downgrade or down-date your firmware any longer is part of the problem.

My P4P flew perfectly the whole time I was having P3P problems, with and without the HDMI board.

My advice (although it may be too late now for you) is stay on '503' ... the latest version of firmware is horrendous for bugs and breaking things that worked well previously. Until they get their act together regarding releasing a WELL TESTED version and some time has passed after the release to be sure the masses have no serious issues with it, I would NOT upgrade. Wait a month or so after when they release the next "fix" to the last firmware debacle they published. That way you will be able to make a decision that has had time to be well vetted by the user-base ... before upgrading. :)

Every machine has two leavers one is Leaver A the other Leaver B

I have decided to Leaver B

If we could just clarify , what exactly is the last stable DJI software and firmware to have ?

Wise choice on NOT updating AC in spite of what others will recommend. It can be a disaster so why risk it not to mention giving up more control of your drone to DJI which is probably why they and their surrogates on here are so adamant about updating. Good tip about the TXT file I will have to try that too.
how can i do that, some warmings i would want to delete

I'm on the latest firmare both for plus controller and p4p and all is working good (i dont use intelligent flight modes cos they have always been a disaster on the plus controller)

I beleive that if it's not broken, then don't fix it)
Can you tell me more about the intelligent flight modes being a problem on the + controller? What doesn't work properly? I have a + controller and I have never used the IFM features and was curious what could happen if I tried them?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jorge sanchez