To many drones!!

Reaction score
I was noticing how many ads there are for toy stores, department stores, hardware stores and even a local grocery store for drones. I'm thinking starting on Christmas Day there's going to be a lot of new drones in the air with no clue about regulations or training. These ads include Phantoms. I worry that that many drones are going to generate complaints from the public that reflect badly on commercial operators as well as hobby flyers. What do you think is it going to be a problem?

I think with the ability for anyone with a couple of hundred dollars to buy a UAV, your going to see all kinds of mishaps.
I;m afraid there will be a knee jerk reaction, with rules put into place that are aimed at the careless UAV flyer, rules that really won't apply to the educated flyer, but, will unfortunately ,will affect us all!
The media will have a field day!

I agree that I have seen a lot of drones for sale lately, they are usually the piles of junk that have brushed motors that will burn out in a week or two. Even stores like Cal-Ranch and bedbathandbeyond have them, ugh...

Lots of lost drones and short-lived expensive gifts due to crashes.
Pretty much, only the strong survive, Most of these drones will be given to kids and teenagers that think they know it all and then end up crashing it the first flight.

Especially since there are a ton of cheap drones for sale on shelves that don't have any sensors or GPS or even headless mode, that just makes it a lot easier to crash on your first time.

Reactions: captainmilehigh
The way I see it going for the hobby flyers here in the uk anyway is above a certain weight limit (caa are currently looking at this) you will need to be...
Licenced/registered
have id on ac
have public/property insurance
be over a certain age unless supervised
also more flight restrictions etc.
resulting in less interest so the current buoyant prices will drop for used ac.

Pretty much, only the strong survive, Most of these drones will be given to kids and teenagers that think they know it all and then end up crashing it the first flight.

Especially since there are a ton of cheap drones for sale on shelves that don't have any sensors or GPS or even headless mode, that just makes it a lot easier to crash on your first time.

That "headless drones" part made me laugh. I know what you mean, but it kinda reminds me of all the new drone pilots we'll see after the holidays. Flying headless. The head has no idea what the hands are doing, or where the drone went.

Hope it isn't too bad this year.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

It's going to be like the hover boards... Every one will get one and then crash it and never see them again. Even got my 10 year old a cheap one for X'mas with a camera. If she crashes then no big deal

Sent from my HUAWEI LYO-L01 using PhantomPilots mobile app

Reactions: captainmilehigh
The way I see it going for the hobby flyers here in the uk anyway is above a certain weight limit (caa are currently looking at this) you will need to be...
Licenced/registered
have id on ac
have public/property insurance
be over a certain age unless supervised
also more flight restrictions etc.
resulting in less interest so the current buoyant prices will drop for used ac.
This is what CASA has done in Australia. You can now fly commercially if your remote piloted aircraft (RPA) is under 2kgs providing you stick to the standard operating rules e.g. Max ceiling 400 feet, no night flying, cannot fly over built up areas, minimum 30 meters horizontal separation between your aircraft and people , cannot fly within 5.5kms of a controlled airfield etc. You have to register and notify CASA of any site you wish to fly minimum 5 days in advance.
It does limit what you can do but overall it's a good start. I hope the common sense by our leaders continues.

Here is a link to an awareness campaign CASA is running in preparation for the Xmas drones - Dirty Dozen: 12 ways your drone can land you in trouble | Flight Safety Australia

Sent from my SM-G900I using PhantomPilots mobile app

Last edited:
This has been the case for at least the past 2 Christmas seasons. As others have pointed out, most will be lost or broken within a few weeks.
Search "Drones" on Google Trends & you'll see a definite pattern.

I realize many will crash and most are less than $100. However I see Phantoms and other more advances drones at big box stores and toy stores. I can see 10 year olds trying to see how high they will really go. Let's hope that crazy stunts don't lead to more restrictions here in the US.

I realize many will crash and most are less than $100. However I see Phantoms and other more advances drones at big box stores and toy stores. I can see 10 year olds trying to see how high they will really go. Let's hope that crazy stunts don't lead to more restrictions here in the US.

Your right... It will be like that mannequin thing going around.. This time it will be about who can go the highest [emoji55] [emoji55]

Sent from my HUAWEI LYO-L01 using PhantomPilots mobile app

What do you think is it going to be a problem?
:eek:

4221396001_4732328122001_4732319768001-vs.jpg

This is what CASA has done in Australia. You can now fly commercially if your remote piloted aircraft (RPA) is under 2kgs providing you stick to the standard operating rules e.g. Max ceiling 400 feet, no night flying, cannot fly over built up areas, minimum 30 meters horizontal separation between your aircraft and people , cannot fly within 5.5kms of a controlled airfield etc. You have to register and notify CASA of any site you wish to fly minimum 5 days in advance.
It does limit what you can do but overall it's a good start. I hope the common sense by our leaders continues.

Here is a link to an awareness campaign CASA is running in preparation for the Xmas drones - Dirty Dozen: 12 ways your drone can land you in trouble | Flight Safety Australia

You don't have to notify CASA 5 days in advance of every flight.

Just a one time thing 5 days before you commence operations.
Very simple.

Very simple.

I rang them about this last Wednesday.. You are right and its so if any complaints occur they know who to go to... When I pointed out thats very big brother-ish and you can't guarantee it was the person who registered that was flying that particular drone they said it was more so anyone giving the complaint can be told that its a registered drone under commercial operation and they have been notified (under the proviso you aren't doing something against the regulations). If no complaints occur then they give you the benefit of the doubt that you know what you are doing for future flights (or something like that).

Agreed. Live in small town in Iowa.In the beginning it was just me,now I'm bumping into other "pilots" .That's why I'm studying for 107.A collision or crash is going to happen creating a drone ordinance.I see a storm coming.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using PhantomPilots mobile app

I would like to say that I am one of the aforementioned "Christmas drone owners" (and a teenager) and have operated mine safely and without incident for a year. The percentage of buyers that will cause problems probably increases a little, but mostly I think it's just an increase in volume of sales, which leads to more problems.

I would like to say that I am one of the aforementioned "Christmas drone owners" (and a teenager) and have operated mine safely and without incident for a year. The percentage of buyers that will cause problems probably increases a little, but mostly I think it's just an increase in volume of sales, which leads to more problems.

I don't think its directed at anyone in particular. I noticed your signature shows a Syma as well which means you actually have an ongoing interest in this hobby. I think the concern is more about the people who buy these as a toy and treat it as if its just another appliance in the house, with no concern for safety and genuinely no concept that in the wrong circumstances a drone crashing can be deadly.. just my 2c

Reactions: Brett Meyer

Very simple.

Yup I was too lax with the info trying to keep it simple. Should have said you have to notify them initially once for each area you wish to fly in and then refresh the information 24 months later.

I to believe that this is just so CASA can point the finger straight at us if any complaints are received in the area .

Thankfully the DJI logs will help protect us from other flyers wrong doings . I have seen a few locals flying that have no idea of the rules or consequences and don't care either.

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic