Shocking piece of anti drone “Journalism”

I knew that we had lost this battle when I saw everyone running out to get part 107 certified which has really done nothing but create a divisive elitism in a group of hobbyist ...
Part 107 certification is required for drone users to use their drones professionally.
It's a much better system than the silly 333 requirements that were in force previously.
Part 107 was a big win for flyers, not a lost battle.

The cherry on top is the drone companies like DJI and the likes THAT WE SUPPORTED from the beginning are now throwing us hobbyist under the bus ..
DJI's throwing drone flyers under a bus? How's that?
.. in hopes of landing big Government sales contracts with Police, Fire and GEMS agencies.
You don't think DJI could supply consumer and commercial markets just like Ford or GM do?
They seem to have managed pretty well so far.

Super Dave was a HOOT!!
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Reactions: captainmilehigh
I definitely would spend the extra twenty-five cents for the knife!
And remember don't fly at 11000 meters up in a flight path of UFO's
or plains!Some of those pilot's might read you registration numbers
and FAA will come and take your drones! I'm not going over 10000
feet ever again!?

Wheres any sense of balance in any of this 'news' (hysteria):
Drones : killed or injured (seriously - not propeller-finger 'incidents),
Lets not forget other remote controlled hobbies like Planes and gliders which can be much bigger & heavier, fly higher and faster...
Animal attacks : be they dogs etc (and where Not provoked vs provoked etc.)
Vehicle caused : Deaths , serious injury.
DIY related :....
Smoking : Deaths from, disability from cancer etc, and even leading to vehicle accidents...

Now which are the big number ones and is the 'new's reported in proportion? If not why not, and how about fixing that problem?

There are laws regarding pet control in public. There are numerous stories reported regarding dog attacks, escaping snakes killing small children, folks killed in Zoo's and owners of exotic pets being injured/killed. Some dog breeds have been vilified in the Press (Pitbulls).

Other model aircraft (you mentioned planes) do have crashes reported, have damaged property, maimed participants, and a few fatalities. Never seen one flown over downtown though.

Cars/vehicles are subject to strict industry regulations and are required to carry insurance to address risks which is the choice of the driver/passenger. Plenty of stories/reports of horrific car, train, plane accidents all the time.

Smoking is a terrible personal choice which has become stigmatized by society and more regulated to protect public safety/health. Plenty of stories/reports of the risks and results from participating and ads to discourage kids from starting.

Now, what problem... proportion?
When these things occur they are reported.

Seems you may need to broaden your perspective and objectivity.

Last edited:
Here in West Virginia, I'm not bothered much. I believe the more remote, the better the remote. “ flying” ...
Same where I fly outside of Las Vegas in the desert. I encounter other offoaders and hikers and bikers and I always ask them when they pass by if it bothers them and nobody has ever said anything negative nor that it bothers them when they are out enjoying nature. Everyone seems to be more curious than anything.

Reactions: WV. Rootman
Same where I fly outside of Las Vegas in the desert. I encounter other offoaders and hikers and bikers and I always ask them when they pass by if it bothers them and nobody has ever said anything negative nor that it bothers them when they are out enjoying nature. Everyone seems to be more curious than anything.
Absolutely the same here. I think city people are the problem. Lol oh no I’m going to get it now!?

Yup, he's got a point.
I'm also country, and never been bothered.
It's always curiosity.
Nailed it, mystery over, last person turn the lights out.

Living where I do, in the Highlands of Scotland, helps me keep a sensible perspective on this sort of reporting. I live alongside a NATO military low flying area, where aircraft are often passing overhead at ridiculously low altitude. Of course, it is absolutely necessary for military pilots to do so, to hone their flying skills.

But come October, for two or three weeks, the skies here are full of migrating greylag and pink foot geese. These are big birds, weighing substantially more than a drone, and for days on end there are thousands of them flying at altitudes of up to about 2000 ft, well above the training altitude of these military aircraft. And it doesn't seem to bother the pilots one whit; they still train and no word is said about the potential risk, which must be considerable. They just seem to take it in their stride. Perhaps a skein of 70 greylag geese each weighing about 10 lbs present a substantial enough radar signature to allow for avoidance. I wouldn't know. What I do know is, when the skies are full of migrating geese, a drone, by comparison (and engine air intake excluded), seems a pretty insubstantial object.

We'll, it was geese that took down the airliner that famously ditched in the Hudson River, New York.
Large birds and large clusters of small birds show up on Doppler Radar, as the water in their bodies shows a reflection.
Migration habits are actually studied this way.
Perhaps the military uses the same method to avoid mishaps.

Reactions: Greyfox51

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31