Tired of getting harassed when flying my sUAS

Reaction score
I am so sick of ignorant people harassing me during an sUAS flight. Why does everyone pretend they are an expert? Tonight I was doing a time lapse with my canon whilst taking snapshots of a beautiful sunset in Northern Utah. A guy on a walk with his dog and 4 year old daughter started yelling at me out of nowhere. He said I needed the property owners permission to fly over their property, I showed him my iPad screen to show that I wasn't over any private property. He said it was illegal for an "airplane" to fly over private property without the owners permission and I asked him if a crop duster would need to get every property owners permission to fly. He said that is a different class and I asked him if he knew of any aircraft that had to ask a property owner for permission. He said "no but that drone is an FAA registered aircraft so it has to abide by the laws the FAA makes. I told him that is exactly what I was doing and told him I was an FAA licensed sUAS pilot and was fully aware of and abiding by all applicable laws. I showed him the photos on the sd card so he would know I wasn't spying on anyone. He told me "it is recommended that you fly over there at 150' towards the forest service land" I told him He seriously needed to educate himself before harassing any other drone pilots and I wouldn't be following his recommendation. He demanded to see my license. I told him to stop harassing me and he insisted on seeing my license saying he would call the police if I didn't immediately show him. I showed him at the same time telling him he was interfering with a pilot during flight and he took note of my name. I snapped my wallet closed and told him I didn't need to identify myself to him. He walked away and called the police (I am assuming). I told him as he walked away that the FAA has authority over the airspace from the tips of the grass up.

I landed my P4P since he sucked all enjoyment out of the beautiful moment. I stayed for another 45 minutes to finish up my time lapse and the cops never came so I assume he either didn't call or they told him how ignorant he was. I am thinking I will start wearing a GoPro with chest harness to document all encounters from now on. I want to assure everyone that I was polite but annoyed and never raised my voice like he did. I had my two boys with me and he had a 4 or 5 year old girl with him. I feel bad that that little girl had to be a part of that confrontation but I used it as a chance to teach my kids about respect and how to talk to strangers in public.

I've had enough encounters with the po-po to write a book. As one local pro once told me, "If the police haven't been called on you once for something photography related, you haven't been shooting long enough."

I got a laugh out of some guy in LA who was talking about some homeowner that came up to him telling him he can't fly there. He was also a starving actor and went into to a fully mentally retarded mode where it took him five minutes of stammering and shaking to get one sentence out. He acted bad enough the homeowner probably felt sorry for him and didn't know how to deal with him either. The homeowner gave up trying to talk to him and left.

I live in a condo complex and like to fly from my patio around town. One day a neighbor ran over to my unit saying I can't be flying over houses (Which surround mine). I told him I'm in compliance with FAA rules (Which govern this) and am not being dangerous or spying on anyone. I usually keep the flight path over driveways and streets for departure and approaches. I offered to show him my path on tablet, and the video, but he now wasn't interested in that. I have to keep peace at my house since that is where I live, but I mentally made his house a "No fly" zone and keep well away from his place. Non-droners just have no clue of common sense and open their flappy mouths at the first chance they get.

I had one lady a month or two ago tell me that I wasn't allowed to fly in her neighborhood. When I explained I was licensed by the FAA and hired by the realtor selling the house I was at, she said she was licensed too. I asked where she took her test, she just ignored me and said "land it now or I'll call the cops" I didn't want to be late for my next appointment so I just said okay and left since I was done and just taking extra photos anyway.

Another lady a couple weeks ago told me I was creepy and recommended I knock on every door surrounding each house before my flight. I told her that I would consider it in tighter neighborhoods and she said to have a nice day. I understand people's concern but wish more were like this lady. What is wrong with our society that causes so many people to not know how to communicate?

Reactions: AyeYo
Try a hi-vis vest with WARNING DRONE PILOT - DO NOT DISTRACT on the back. Never had any problems since I got one of those. People now just wait quietly until Ivve landed and then just ask a few questions.
I will do that, thanks!

I had one lady a month or two ago tell me that I wasn't allowed to fly in her neighborhood. When I explained I was licensed by the FAA and hired by the realtor selling the house I was at, she said she was licensed too. I asked where she took her test, she just ignored me and said "land it now or I'll call the cops" I didn't want to be late for my next appointment so I just said okay and left since I was done and just taking extra photos anyway.

In my country I can't do that because I would be in a bigger problem... the regulations for drones say that flying for personal entertainment doesn't require any permission but if I fly it for comercial use I would need:
Private pilot license
At least 100 hours of flying a real airplane
At least 50 take offs and 50 landings in Cessna 152 or bigger
Make the flight plan and get it approved by the FCA (local FAA)
Paint my drone black

It's crazy but it's true...

So I always say that I'm flying for personal entertainment :)

I am so sick of ignorant people harassing me during an sUAS flight. Why does everyone pretend they are an expert? Tonight I was doing a time lapse with my canon whilst taking snapshots of a beautiful sunset in Northern Utah. A guy on a walk with his dog and 4 year old daughter started yelling at me out of nowhere. He said I needed the property owners permission to fly over their property, I showed him my iPad screen to show that I wasn't over any private property. He said it was illegal for an "airplane" to fly over private property without the owners permission and I asked him if a crop duster would need to get every property owners permission to fly. He said that is a different class and I asked him if he knew of any aircraft that had to ask a property owner for permission. He said "no but that drone is an FAA registered aircraft so it has to abide by the laws the FAA makes. I told him that is exactly what I was doing and told him I was an FAA licensed sUAS pilot and was fully aware of and abiding by all applicable laws. I showed him the photos on the sd card so he would know I wasn't spying on anyone. He told me "it is recommended that you fly over there at 150' towards the forest service land" I told him He seriously needed to educate himself before harassing any other drone pilots and I wouldn't be following his recommendation. He demanded to see my license. I told him to stop harassing me and he insisted on seeing my license saying he would call the police if I didn't immediately show him. I showed him at the same time telling him he was interfering with a pilot during flight and he took note of my name. I snapped my wallet closed and told him I didn't need to identify myself to him. He walked away and called the police (I am assuming). I told him as he walked away that the FAA has authority over the airspace from the tips of the grass up.

I landed my P4P since he sucked all enjoyment out of the beautiful moment. I stayed for another 45 minutes to finish up my time lapse and the cops never came so I assume he either didn't call or they told him how ignorant he was. I am thinking I will start wearing a GoPro with chest harness to document all encounters from now on. I want to assure everyone that I was polite but annoyed and never raised my voice like he did. I had my two boys with me and he had a 4 or 5 year old girl with him. I feel bad that that little girl had to be a part of that confrontation but I used it as a chance to teach my kids about respect and how to talk to strangers in public.

Before my first flight in the US I asked a police man if it was legal to fly it, he told me that if I follow FAA recommendations I wouldn't have any problems but if anyone in the street ask me to land it I should have to land it, even if I'm following FAA rules, the police man told me that peoples opinion are prior to pilots enjoyment...
Thank god I've never had a situation where someone ask me to land my drone, in my case all the people watch my flights amazed and asking me questions hahaha
If someone ask you to land it, land it and wait for 1 minute until he goes and then take the sky again![emoji573]

OK why not buy one of those signs that states something like 'Caution remote aircraft in operation' plus one of the hi-vis vest in the forum thread HI - vis Do Not Disturb Vests/ Shirts? Gives the impression you have some authority to fly plus you know what you are doing.
Worth a try rather than people spoiling your enjoyment.

I never had anyone bother me, but I think I would call the cops for harassment if someone asked for and ID and other license. They have no rights to bug you that way, and are clearly on the wrong side!

Also warn them that interfering with a pilot is punishable by 5 years in prison as you record them.

Put that FAA law on your vest lol.

Reactions: phantomAlex
When we fly in a neighborhood (commercially) for a Realtor we have Yard Sale signs that we put up before and after the target home stating "Aerial Photography in Progress Overhead" with our company logo and contact information on it. We also attempt to make contact with any neighbors we will be flying over their property. If they don't answer we leave our business card in their door jamb so they know who was there when other neighbors mention it. This has lead to a few new jobs for us.

Everyone is the 'Star' in their own movie. So be the star of yours and ignore the ignorant and be polite to the congenial.

My encounter ratio of Kind & Curious to Harassment is about 75 to 1 at this time.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.