Time for an upgrade?

Reaction score
After using the Phantom 3 Standard for around 9 months now, I can safely say that I am very happy with my purchase. This was a big step up from the Parrot that I was flying, you name it this thing does it, great video, awesome stills, and very cool custom flight modes, but after meeting up with a friend that owns a P3 Advanced and seeing the range it could go out too, I started to think maybe it was time to (A) get something like an Argtek Range Extender or (B) get a new quad all together. I would really love some advice on which I should go for. I thought I might show some of the best shots I have taken over the past 9 months while I am at it as well.
DJI_0064.JPG
DJI_0032.JPG
DJI_0038.JPG

maybe you can try mod the wifi tx power to 27 to get better long flight range...also windsurfer...

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

after meeting up with a friend that owns a P3 Advanced and seeing the range it could go out too, I started to think maybe it was time to (A) get something like an Argtek Range Extender or (B) get a new quad all together.
Try your friend's Advanced and you'll notice that the Lightbridge is about more than just range.
It's a much better control system than old-tech wifi.
If you're serious about Photography, consider going to the P4 pro or advanced to get the superb camera which is a huge improvenebt photographically.

Reactions: Squirrel!
After using the Phantom 3 Standard for around 9 months now, I can safely say that I am very happy with my purchase. This was a big step up from the Parrot that I was flying, you name it this thing does it, great video, awesome stills, and very cool custom flight modes, but after meeting up with a friend that owns a P3 Advanced and seeing the range it could go out too, I started to think maybe it was time to (A) get something like an Argtek Range Extender or (B) get a new quad all together. I would really love some advice on which I should go for. I thought I might show some of the best shots I have taken over the past 9 months while I am at it as well.View attachment 85895 View attachment 85896 View attachment 85897

I'd go P3P
They're cheap at the moment and a great machine.

I own both a P3 4K (uses Wifi) and a P3 Advanced (uses lightbridge). As others have mentioned, Lightbridge technology is a whole different ballgame than traditional Wifi. That's not to say the P3 Standard isn't a great drone. In fact, I always recommend the P3 Standard to people who are looking to buy their first "real" GPS drone.

That said, the Advanced/Pro models are superior in just about every way possible. You get:
-Lightbridge Technology
-Upgraded Transmitter
-VPS
-Glonas + GPS

However, don't sell/trade in your Standard. Keep it as a second drone to use for Litchi missions. This is what I did with my P3 4K. Plus, it's just nice having two Phantoms to fly!

Reactions: Neon Euc
I went from a P3S to a P3P and it was an awesome upgrade. It got to the point where I was throwing so much money at the standard, trying to make it have more range that I could have just bought the Pro in the first place. I was just about to throw another 200 at it, buying amps and LiPo battery (for the amps) and I stopped myself and bought a Pro. The Pro does right out of the box what a fully modded Standard does. And you don't have to have a remote that looks like a space ship, LOL. Keep your eye out for sales. I bought mine for $579.00 on Newegg.com. It's a refurb, but I would challenge anyone to tell the difference between refurb and new, side by side.

EDIT: Nice pictures, BTW.

Reactions: Phill2
Aidan, first those are some great shots. I recently upgraded from the P3S to the P4A. Drastic upgrade in video quality, camera quality and overall functionality. Not to mention a monster range. However, I still love my P3S. I have two batteries for my P4A and 3 for my P3S. When my P4A batteries are done I jump to the P3S to continue flying and filming while my P4A batteries recharge. I found that with both drones and my portable battery charger, I can go out and pretty much keep flying all day!!

My question on the range extended I'd mine goes as far as DJI software will let me go. A range extender wouldn't help that, would it?

My question on the range extended I'd mine goes as far as DJI software will let me go. A range extender wouldn't help that, would it?

What do you mean "DJI software will let you go"? Untick the distance limiter box and you could go 10 miles, if such a battery and antenna existed.

Yes. P3s great. Until you have the desire to go 3 plus miles. I actually went over 4 miles once. Each way. Why? Because I was over water and that was how far the island was. Had 8 mins to spare when I got back. So 8 mile roundtrip. 5 mins filming. Then hauling like he wind full boar to get back.

Yes. P3s great. Until you have the desire to go 3 plus miles. I actually went over 4 miles once. Each way. Why? Because I was over water and that was how far the island was. Had 8 mins to spare when I got back. So 8 mile roundtrip. 5 mins filming. Then hauling like he wind full boar to get back.
Are you saying you did that with a P3S? If not, how far have you gone with the P3S?

I don't believe you can reach 4 miles in a PS3. I barely can go over 250 meters. You can go over 4 miles in an advanced.

Reactions: Abrie
I did It with a p3p. I did go 2 miles with a p3s. A little over 2 miles. Each way.

Basically just flew over the Gulf of Mexico. Over water reduces interference from other devices. Towers. Wifi. Electrical lines. Etc. ... after that it was a matter of making sure my antenna was right and pointing remote in general direction.

Try your friend's Advanced and you'll notice that the Lightbridge is about more than just range.
It's a much better control system than old-tech wifi.
If you're serious about Photography, consider going to the P4 pro or advanced to get the superb camera which is a huge improvenebt photographically.
I have PS3 and P4Pro and the difference in camera quality is negligible - no noticeable difference to 99% of us.

After using the Phantom 3 Standard for around 9 months now, I can safely say that I am very happy with my purchase. This was a big step up from the Parrot that I was flying, you name it this thing does it, great video, awesome stills, and very cool custom flight modes, but after meeting up with a friend that owns a P3 Advanced and seeing the range it could go out too, I started to think maybe it was time to (A) get something like an Argtek Range Extender or (B) get a new quad all together. I would really love some advice on which I should go for. I thought I might show some of the best shots I have taken over the past 9 months while I am at it as well.View attachment 85895 View attachment 85896 View attachment 85897
I have a phantom 3 standard but my videos are not like yours. What settings do you use?

Well, I'm in remote western Alaska. I have added a windsurfer to attenuate the radio of my controller and after just this one mod, I can fly my P3S further than I can actually see it....(a mile?) I usually end up having to get back using FPV until I can see it again. Just be sure to trim a little half-moon shape off the bottom of the windsurfer so you can stand the pole up more. Real important to keep the antenna pointed towards the Phantom at all times. I accidentally turned away while swatting bugs and almost triggered a RTH...don't do that...Have fun and the windsurfers are free and you can make as many as you like. I am using cut up beer cans instead of tin foil for the parabola. Works a little better and is much more durable

Reactions: Phill2

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.