This is gonna be fun! (Distance tests)

Sounds like you got a pretty good grasp on the whole aim thing with finding the sweet spot adjusting little bits, as far as your distance with stock bird, every now and again people just end up with that one special bird controller combination! When you get that kind of distance out of stock, don't change the firmware on the bird or controller, because with modifications like on my standard, that I consider special out of all my aircraft,you probably have a bird that can go in incredible distances

Last edited:
Reactions: Mark The Droner
Took it over the ocean today got out to about 15000-15500, then all things went screwey. App crashed. Lost signal. iPad rebooted fired up the app and nothing. When the app crashed I had 10:34 on the battery clock. The remote stayed red would not connect. The app would not display anything. After about 10 minutes or close to it I decided ok it's lost in the ocean it is what it is. I put the remote down on the table about to break it down and put it in the bag when I hear it. I look up and it's coming home. The app and remote still do not connect so I have no way to guide it I ended up catching it and waiting for the props to stop.

Put in another battery and it ran fine. Don't know what happened but seems ok now.

Thought for sure it was a goner close call

Reactions: gvsukids
Sounds like you got a pretty good grasp on the whole aim thing with finding the sweet spot adjusting little bits, as far as your distance Woodstock bird, every now and again people just end up with that one special bird controller combination! When you get that kind of distance out of stock, don't change the firmware on the bird or controller, because with modifications like on my standard, that I consider special out of all my aircraft,you probably have a bird that can go in incredible distances

Great info, didn't really think about that, but I did recently (month ago?) upgrade the firmware to whatever latest it was (I'll grab the version number later) and since then I have definitely gotten out to these distances that I posted, before these recent runs I ran into FPV connectivity issues at max 1800m even though I had full control with the RC. I remember there being a note about FPV connectivity in the notes.. Didn't even think that this could be a result of the update, just figured it was perfect weather and a very good battery charge.

Anyways I'll definitely think twice about updating next time the firmware gets an update. Thanks!

Took it over the ocean today got out to about 15000-15500, then all things went screwey. App crashed. Lost signal. iPad rebooted fired up the app and nothing. When the app crashed I had 10:34 on the battery clock. The remote stayed red would not connect. The app would not display anything. After about 10 minutes or close to it I decided ok it's lost in the ocean it is what it is. I put the remote down on the table about to break it down and put it in the bag when I hear it. I look up and it's coming home. The app and remote still do not connect so I have no way to guide it I ended up catching it and waiting for the props to stop.

Put in another battery and it ran fine. Don't know what happened but seems ok now.

Is this a stock standard/4k? Thats nearing 5 times max distance.

I've had this sort of thing happen before where once connectivity is lost it just doesn't come back even when the quad is far within distance where I had full control previously in the same flight. Luckily the home spot was always properly coordinated and the landing was always perfect back home.

It hasn't been happening to me since the last firmware update now that dirtybum has got me thinking about firmware versions.

I can't really explain why the controller didn't connect and show green, but usually these types of losses are result of the app itself and a lot of times the cord used to go to the controller to your device. Sometimes if you have newer controller from where but older app this happens a lot

@Joe I'm running the dbs panel.

Bum... yeah the app crashed on me before but after restart it was able to connect, this time no joy, thought she was a goner !!! good distance, i think a good pre flight to do.. is to restart the iPad before flying. RTH saved my bacon !

@Joe I'm running the dbs panel.

Bum... yeah the app crashed on me before but after restart it was able to connect, this time no joy, thought she was a goner !!! good distance, i think a good pre flight to do.. is to restart the iPad before flying. RTH saved my bacon !
Alot o long distance flyers have had large tablets overheating recently cause its so **** hot everywhere

I actually had my app crash today on me as well. I was only out about 3k over water. My controller never lost connection though so it threw it in RTH and landed it via Los, app never recovered.

I must say when I thought it was lost in the ocean or something the one thing that went through my head is ok, now i can justify the P3A.. oh well was not meant to be LMAO.

on a side note, i rarely restart my iPad so I guess I should more often like a computer it will get slower if not restarted..

This is weird my app crashed also around 8pm EST and I closed down Litchi and opened DJI Go and still no connection. I still was in control of the drone. So I eye balled it in. :)

Mine with a windsurfer would get to 5600ft or so and still have full controller signal, but the video would cut out and the lag was too bad to go much further.
I was pretty impressed with the standard going 5600 ft (i was on the roof with clear LOS though, I got about 3500ft flying the same path from the ground)

How big is the terminator compared to the DBS antenna

ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots1465877670.209775.jpg

They're pretty much the exact same size. The terminator does weigh almost twice as much, but I ignore that fact since the terminator is almost twice as strong

Hey guys, just got my terminator extreme with a 19 DB 5.8 panel for the standard in the mail!!I only unboxed it and haven't put it together yet till later! But this thing is huge! It's time to get this PIII standard thread fired back up
Looking forward to the updates.

Looking forward to the updates.
I'll assemble it on a tripod and send some pics later. I don't know what it's gonna look like put together but I might need to mount this thing on top of a van!
I don't know if I'll have time for a run with it tonight or not, supposed to be pretty strong winds until nine. And of course we're going to kick the party off UNboosted

Reactions: Mikepoo
Cant wait...been looking forward to this DB!! Hurry up and put it together so we can see it!!!

Reactions: Techno_70

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DonT