Thinking of changing to the spark - opinions?

Reaction score
Hello,

I just purchased a P3S a few days ago from Target (which has a 14 day return policy) and as much as I like it, I can already see how the bulkyness is going to be a slight pain for me.

I’ve been trying to find reviews online to compare the P3S to the spark but almost all of them just talk about the size difference whereas I’m more concerned about the real world comparisons on hardware, functionality, durability, flyability, etc.

If the only advantage is size then I will likely keep my P3S - however if it’s a solid upgrade all around I may consider the latter.

I decided if I do change up it will be the fly more package so I can get the extra batteries and remote which is a must for me. So it would be a $230 price increase (I got the P3S for $379 and the Spark FM is $599).

I should also note that this is my very first drone.

Thank you for any help / direction you can provide.

It really depends on your use case. The P3SE will have better video and photos, hands down. Sparks is less intimidating to onlookers, quieter, and easy to carry. Spark doesn't fly as long, but will fly as far as a P3SE. Just depends on what you're looking for in a drone. Spark is likely more rugged if you plan on crashing. Spark will only record 1080 video, P3SE will do 1080, 2.7 and 4K.

Last edited:
Reactions: dazzer
" P3S will do 1080, 2.7 and 4K." .......

P3S does not do 4K .... its max is 2.7K .....

Nigel

Reactions: gvsukids
Hello,

I just purchased a P3S a few days ago from Target (which has a 14 day return policy) and as much as I like it, I can already see how the bulkyness is going to be a slight pain for me.

I’ve been trying to find reviews online to compare the P3S to the spark but almost all of them just talk about the size difference whereas I’m more concerned about the real world comparisons on hardware, functionality, durability, flyability, etc.

If the only advantage is size then I will likely keep my P3S - however if it’s a solid upgrade all around I may consider the latter.

I decided if I do change up it will be the fly more package so I can get the extra batteries and remote which is a must for me. So it would be a $230 price increase (I got the P3S for $379 and the Spark FM is $599).

I should also note that this is my very first drone.

Thank you for any help / direction you can provide.
There are plenty of comparisons available which look at more than just size. Here's one:- Spark vs Phantom 3: Which is Better for YOU?

You can find others by doing this Google search:- https://www.google.bg/search?client...=UTF-8&gfe_rd=cr&dcr=0&ei=Ur4bWrvAGo6BX4PcjyA

The problem I have with the spark is at $600, you’re only $100 away from a refurbished mavic on sale, which comes with a controller already and a 28 minute battery.

Thanks, I watched a few of the “which should I buy” movies but was really hoping to see someone fly them side by side and give a more in-depth review of how they perform compared to each other.

I’m not concerned about the 1080p vs 4K as I am only flying for fun and only have 1080p TVs. I’m more concerned about how they fly - being smaller in size is it harder to use outside or easier compared to the P3S? Does it work better or worse with wind?

I agree with crowd fear and that was also one of my considerations too - with my P3S I’m always a little nervous someone is going to call the police or say something to be for flying it - even though I only fly legal places and have it registered, it’s still a hassle.

I saw it doesn’t have Lightbridge but is still upgraded from the P3S - how does that hold up? I know it goes way further then my P3S but how does it compare to LB?

$400 was near the top of my budget but I may be persuaded to jump to the $600 mark if it’s something that fits my needs more.

Depending on you. Remember the spark has less battery life than phantom 3 standard. But spark is portable.if you are flying for fun, I would recommend phantom or mavic.

Depending on you. Remember the spark has less battery life than phantom 3 standard. But spark is portable.if you are flying for fun, I would recommend phantom or mavic.

Yeah, I decided to give it a try - the fly more package has two batteries which total to around the same fly time as my P3S and a charger which takes a lot less time then my P3S.

I feel like I would use it a lot more for hiking trips and camping then I would with the big one. I’ll use them both side by side and make a decision.

" P3S will do 1080, 2.7 and 4K." .......

P3S does not do 4K .... its max is 2.7K .....

Nigel
Sorry, I was thinking to the P3SE, the only P3 DJI sells today. It supports 4K@30FPS. I've fixed my post. Here's the spec.

upload_2017-11-27_11-46-18.png

Last edited:
I’m not concerned about the 1080p vs 4K as I am only flying for fun and only have 1080p TVs. I’m more concerned about how they fly - being smaller in size is it harder to use outside or easier compared to the P3S? Does it work better or worse with wind?
The Mavic will easily fly over 2mi away with LOS connection, the Spark and P3SE is good for about half mile, but I have seen them go farther in rural areas with no Wifi interference. The Mavic's ability to penetrate through trees is way better than P3SE or Spark because of the temperamental Wifi technology used in Spark and P3SE. The P3SE will have a better camera than Spark or Mavic, it will perform better in low light, and when facing the sun in bright sunlight. The lens is just better on the P3SE, but Mavic still takes good video, as show in this Geese Video. Mavic offers less noise than P3SE, so you can get closer to animals. Mavic also includes 2X zoom (pinch and spread on the app screen) on the camera when recording in 1080 (crops the 4K sensor) that looks pretty good.. So, it depends on if you want better video, or better distance. That's a tough choice, but for the fun of flying I would recommend Mavic, BY FAR the better choice. The OcuSync Lightbridge is really good. Put an iPad Mini4 in the Mavic RC controller clip and you'll like it, that's what I'm using. The Spark and P3SE are easy to outgrow because of the limitation on distance, many get annoyed with the disconnects so often of Spark and Mavic. The bonus on Mavic has a better flight duration, about 23min, longer than P3SE (18min) and Spark (13min). Mavic will also fly faster than P3SE.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info, only I currently have the P3S not the P3SE.

Also, I thought with the integrated controller the spark was rated for just over a mile?

With it being so small, I can’t imagine I’d be able to see it much further away then that.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info, only I currently have the P3S not the P3SE.

Also, I thought with the integrated controller the spark was rated for well over a mile?
That's still a good camera, the lens in the P3S is better than Spark or Mavic. It will do better in low light and when flying toward the sun or at an angle to the sun. The Mavic will have sun flares, more so than your P3S. With Mavic/Spark, when capturing video you just have to be more diligent about keeping the sun behind the drone for best clarity and color.

I have both, and I use them for very different things. The Spark is fun, sport mode is a blast. Head to head it will beat the P3S. The Spark flys great indoors. I use my P3S for flying long distances, it’s battery life I’d much greater. They serve two purposes.
674f632a700f12035e8f5ff9c5a8df06.jpg

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj