Long live the P3S!

Reaction score
Yea, silly, but I don't care...I love this drone. I have a P4, a P3P, a Mavic Air, a Spark and a P3S. I find myself drawn way more to this drone mostly because it's a huge underdog in many ways (don't you think?). But, it's upgradeable. Only reason I'm posting this here instead of photos and videos is because it's my first try and a long range flight in an open area (over a lake). The video starts as I'm half way across the lake. Once I get to the other side, the p3s is 11,741 feet away from me. Shot a little more video and had to hurry back before I ran out of battery. If anyone's interested, I can explain how one free mod and another $9.99 mod pushed the range of my P3S way beyond what I thought could be done. I'm not the first to do this, but it's sure exciting to pull it off....

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Anyone else done some cool mods to your P3S?

I think the P3s and P4s are the best consumer-grade drones ever built.

Unfortunately from Mavic onwards the DJI has changed its policy…

Unfortunately for the regulations that are being born, I don't think we'll ever see a Phantom 5...

My P3A never had any issues and flies perfectly until I got P4P.
Well I must say the same for the P4P unless two crashes but 100% pilot error, haha!

Yea, silly, but I don't care...I love this drone. I have a P4, a P3P, a Mavic Air, a Spark and a P3S. I find myself drawn way more to this drone mostly because it's a huge underdog in many ways (don't you think?). But, it's upgradeable. Only reason I'm posting this here instead of photos and videos is because it's my first try and a long range flight in an open area (over a lake). The video starts as I'm half way across the lake. Once I get to the other side, the p3s is 11,741 feet away from me. Shot a little more video and had to hurry back before I ran out of battery. If anyone's interested, I can explain how one free mod and another $9.99 mod pushed the range of my P3S way beyond what I thought could be done. I'm not the first to do this, but it's sure exciting to pull it off....

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Anyone else done some cool mods to your P3S?
Corking. Do you bother with lens filters?

Geodude- corking? Mind if I ask what that means (LOL!). I'm not very hip. I sometimes use ND filters, but on the video above I did not. The color of the lake is bluer than it really was in person because I did color grading in post production. I barely know what I'm doing ("barely" is probably exaggerating).

Capt KO- thanks, man! I was surprised it came out that good.

PeteM- sadly, I think you are right. No Phantom 5...ever. Hope I'm wrong, but don't think I am. Also, regarding Mavic drones....I own one ( mavic air ), but it's not the same. I like the Phantom line SOOOO much better.

I am thinking of doing a Phantom 3 Standard appreciation website. Post videos and pics ONLY from people's P3S! Also, suggestions on mods and even some reviews on accessories only for P3S. Might be kinda interesting!

grin factor - I've had 2 standards and loved them. WHA???? You wrote than in past tense! How dare you! :)

Reactions: BanditsRoost
Geodude- corking? Mind if I ask what that means (LOL!). I'm not very hip. I sometimes use ND filters, but on the video above I did not. The color of the lake is bluer than it really was in person because I did color grading in post production. I barely know what I'm doing ("barely" is probably exaggerating).

Capt KO- thanks, man! I was surprised it came out that good.

PeteM- sadly, I think you are right. No Phantom 5...ever. Hope I'm wrong, but don't think I am. Also, regarding Mavic drones....I own one ( mavic air ), but it's not the same. I like the Phantom line SOOOO much better.

I am thinking of doing a Phantom 3 Standard appreciation website. Post videos and pics ONLY from people's P3S! Also, suggestions on mods and even some reviews on accessories only for P3S. Might be kinda interesting!

grin factor - I've had 2 standards and loved them. WHA???? You wrote than in past tense! How dare you! :)
Corking is British slang for excellent or amazing...

Thanks for your reply. Does well without a filter then!

Reactions: biggles2b
I've had my P3S to 13845'. I use Icarus and the Argtek mod. (Icarus is much the same as the Magic Mod) Where I fly is just congested enough to create connection issues. Using a parabolic reflector and Icarus I went to only 3300' from 1600' stock.

Nice video. I love my P3S too! It will be 3 years old at Christmas. I continue to fly it regularily.

In winter in sub zero temps it performs flawlessly whereas the gimbal on my Spark often sticks in cold weather.

Range has never really been an issue for me as I always fly in VLOS.

The P3S was an entry level drone when it was released so it is surprising to me that the camera on the new MM has less features than the P3S does.

One thing I do long for/wish for is that DJI or some reputable company would make foldable props for the P3 line so I wouldn’t freeze my fingers spinning on props in sub zero temps. I do have some RCGeek foldable props but have been chicken to try them because I don’t want to crash my P3S due to a bad prop so for now I’ll continue to freeze my fingers spinning on props.

Chris

Reactions: MotorCycle-Man
Chrislaf, thank you! Yea, with nd filters and some fine tuned camera settings, the video on p3s can be super impressive. I think the p3s was what truly put DJI on the map way back in early 2015.

Well, here’s how I am able to push the range of my p3s to more than 4x that of stock:

1. Magic Power 5. Easy as heck and free. lots of YouTube tutorials on how to install on your p3s controller.

2. This simple parabolic windsurfer. I've tried many, this one works the best by far. You just remove the plastic film that covers the reflector part, slide it on as shown and remember to point it in the vicinity of your drone. Amazon.com: Copper Parabolic Antenna Range Booster for DJI Phantom 3 Standard Edition Controller Transmitter Signal Extend: Toys & Games

Do BOTH to get really solid connectivity.

im seriously thinking of getting my hands on an Argtek kit.

I'm still here. Owner of 2 PS3's. I had a Spark for a couple of months, had to sell it to pay for dental work : (

I still fly my PS3's and can't see any need to upgrade until they either crash or just wear out.

Chrislaf, thank you! Yea, with nd filters and some fine tuned camera settings, the video on p3s can be super impressive. I think the p3s was what truly put DJI on the map way back in early 2015.

Well, here’s how I am able to push the range of my p3s to more than 4x that of stock:

1. Magic Power 5. Easy as heck and free. lots of YouTube tutorials on how to install on your p3s controller.

2. This simple parabolic windsurfer. I've tried many, this one works the best by far. You just remove the plastic film that covers the reflector part, slide it on as shown and remember to point it in the vicinity of your drone. Amazon.com: Copper Parabolic Antenna Range Booster for DJI Phantom 3 Standard Edition Controller Transmitter Signal Extend: Toys & Games

Do BOTH to get really solid connectivity.

im seriously thinking of getting my hands on an Argtek kit.
I have and use a parabolic windsurfer.

Have heard of Magic Power 5 but haven’t tried it. Is it a permanent mod or is it reversible?

Chris

I'm still here. Owner of 2 PS3's. I had a Spark for a couple of months, had to sell it to pay for dental work : (

I still fly my PS3's and can't see any need to upgrade until they either crash or just wear out.
I bought my Spark a year after my P3S as a backup to my P3S and as a travel drone. Although the Spark is much easier to carry around and faster to get in the air I can actually go farther with my P3S. Because of its size I can see it farther away and still be in VLOS. I fly both regularily.

Although I would love to have a drone with a better camera like the M2P, I can’t fathom spending over $2000CAN on a drone. I take mostly photos with my drones so 4K means nothing to me. I know the M2P takes better images but are those better images worth over 4X the cost of the Spark or P3S.

Anyway, my P3S has turned out to be a fantastic drone. With the addition of third party software like Litchi, AutoPilot and Hammer many more features have been added over the stock DJI GO software.

Even the new Mavic Mini has less features than my 3 year old P3S.

Chris

I bought my Spark a year after my P3S as a backup to my P3S and as a travel drone. Although the Spark is much easier to carry around and faster to get in the air I can actually go farther with my P3S. Because of its size I can see it farther away and still be in VLOS. I fly both regularily.

Although I would love to have a drone with a better camera like the M2P, I can’t fathom spending over $2000CAN on a drone. I take mostly photos with my drones so 4K means nothing to me. I know the M2P takes better images but are those better images worth over 4X the cost of the Spark or P3S.

Anyway, my P3S has turned out to be a fantastic drone. With the addition of third party software like Litchi, AutoPilot and Hammer many more features have been added over the stock DJI GO software.

Even the new Mavic Mini has less features than my 3 year old P3S.

Chris

Hi Chris,

I'm really pleased to hear that the PS3 is still enjoying some popularity and interest.

I love mine. (I have two).

One day soon, I might get another Spark.

Paul.

Hi Chris,

I'm really pleased to hear that the PS3 is still enjoying some popularity and interest.

I love mine. (I have two).

One day soon, I might get another Spark.

Paul.
I love my Spark too. It’s a perfect complement to my P3S. Do you think that now that the Mini is out you would get that instead of the Spark?

Chris

The MM has less fight modes than Spark! Also....drum roll....this is a DEAL BREAKER for me: no control on the exposure and iso and only auto white balance. Also, no obstacle avoidance. No thanks. I'll keep my Spark, despite the longer (way longer) battery life that the MM has.

The P3S is my favorite DJI drone I own, with the Spark a close second. Even though it's great for portability...I'm very put off by my Mavic Air. That one, I will be parting with soon.

Magic Power 5 is not permanent, the tutorials you will find on youtube (see my link above) show how to reset your controller back to stock easily.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic