Long live the P3S!

Went out today in -14C temps with a wind chill of -17C. Hiked down a trail and flew a Hammer inspection mission over a creek. I used the Inspection mission to take panos looking straight down. The P3S performed flawlessly and I marvelled at how reliable and versatile it is. The gimbal worked perfectly in the cold temps. I also have a Spark but often have trouble with the gimbal sticking in cold weather and this was the case today.

Chris

WOW! -14C and your P3S still performed? How'd you do a flight like that? Warm up the batteries before leaving the car? I ask because I have seen, two times in the last week, my p3s tell me, "Aircraft Warming Up". It took about 30 seconds before it was good to lift off. And that's in 45 degree (fahrenheight) temps.

I read up on Hammer and it looks interesting. So this inspection mission....it was a paying gig? Assuming you got part 107? I got mine but still haven't gotten anything (paying).

The past two weeks, I've been playing with Argtek controller upgrade. I also switched out the antenna with the Alfa flat panels (Amazon for $20)…. and I get frustrated with the performance of the Argtek kit one day, other days it's pretty **** good range and visual (video) connectivity.

WOW! -14C and your P3S still performed? How'd you do a flight like that? Warm up the batteries before leaving the car? I ask because I have seen, two times in the last week, my p3s tell me, "Aircraft Warming Up". It took about 30 seconds before it was good to lift off. And that's in 45 degree (fahrenheight) temps.

I read up on Hammer and it looks interesting. So this inspection mission....it was a paying gig? Assuming you got part 107? I got mine but still haven't gotten anything (paying).

The past two weeks, I've been playing with Argtek controller upgrade. I also switched out the antenna with the Alfa flat panels (Amazon for $20)…. and I get frustrated with the performance of the Argtek kit one day, other days it's pretty **** good range and visual (video) connectivity.
I keep my batteries warm before flight either in my pocket or with my battery warmer. My P3S takes time to warm up on really cold days too but if you do an IMU calibration in the cold it will reduce or get rid of those warming up messages. I usually let my P3S sit out in cold at home without battery for a bit then put battery in and calibrate IMU.

I have been a beta tester for Hammer and used the inspection mission to do a pano. I’m in Canada so there is no part 107 here. I just have a Basic pilot licence and am a hobbiest.

Chris
Happy Holidays

Ahhh, nice idea! I’m going to try that....p3s outside (it’s 42 out, nothing like where you are] without battery for a bit then an Imu calibration. I do plan to fly all winter so this will be good.

I tried something called drone deploy [heard of it?]...hammer looks quite a bit more robust though.

regarding p3s...it’s weird how prices fluctuate from very reasonable for aircraft and accessories, to going back up again like they seem to be now. Interesting, considering it’s been out of production for quite a while now.

I tried the idea mentioned above...now the "Aircraft Warming Up" is significantly shorter (1-2 seconds tops).

Anyone do anything cool, creative or just plain fun with their P3S recently? I shot in slightly foggy weather today. Cold, dreary December. Most all the leaves have fallen from the trees. Made for footage that is similar to a creepy scene in a horror flick! I need to edit down and post it.

Chris- any chance you edited that snow footage you mentioned earlier in this thread?

Glad the IMU calibration in cold temps worked for you. I got that tip from another member on this site - Solentlife.

Here's the video of the snowy day that I flew my P3S on. The weather has totally switched around - it has been mild (above 0º) and even rainy. The areas I shot the video in no longer looks like this now but we still have snow. Note that I mostly take photos with my drones, so the video was just some clips shot in-between taking pano shots.

Also, for Christmas I got a LowePro CS 400 Backpack case. This is an older case but it fits both my P3S and my Spark with the controllers and all the batteries for each plus filters, etc. I have one of those cheap boxy backpack cases that fit my P3S and a small photo backpack that I carry my spark and DSLR in. I had wanted a backpack style case that was light and could carry both drones, as I do a lot of hiking to flying locations and the CS 400 was perfect.

IMG_8155.jpg

Chris

Nice! From :31-:45 of the snow video is excellent. Really a cool, moody vibe. Almost like fog along with snowfall. That was great- thanks for sharing. Definitely jealous - wish we could get snow like that more often than once per 15 years (lol!).

Yea, the LowePro backpacks are great. I like how they are "malleable" so you can custom fit whatever you want. Two drones in there, pretty cool.

I use a silver HUL case. I will post pics. I like it because I can store the bird with props ON. However, I feel like people are watching me walk down the sidewalk carrying the thing - like I'm carrying weapons of mass destruction or something.

So to hear about your promark falling! Dang. I also got the Argtek about 3 days ago. It, combined with Magic Power 5 mod, got 8299 feet range in a highly congested area. How has your Argtek setup faired? A lot better? For me, it's the FPV stays a lot more solid. No breaking up in signal (or at least not as bad as it was before Argtek).

Good luck on that rebuild. It sounds daunting but also rewarding if you can bring it back to life.

I need to post pics of my P3S setup. It's now a performer....when bought stock, it was a frustrating experience with constant pop ups in DJI Go app about strong interferences... and the choppy FPV.

Also, wanted to ask about your 1 amp you mentioned... did it really make a noticeable difference? Got a link where you bought it? Thanks.

So to hear about your promark falling! Dang. I also got the Argtek about 3 days ago. It, combined with Magic Power 5 mod, got 8299 feet range in a highly congested area. How has your Argtek setup faired? A lot better? For me, it's the FPV stays a lot more solid. No breaking up in signal (or at least not as bad as it was before Argtek).

Good luck on that rebuild. It sounds daunting but also rewarding if you can bring it back to life.

I need to post pics of my P3S setup. It's now a performer....when bought stock, it was a frustrating experience with constant pop ups in DJI Go app about strong interferences... and the choppy FPV.

Also, wanted to ask about your 1 amp you mentioned... did it really make a noticeable difference? Got a link where you bought it? Thanks.

i have flown 6853 with argteck with amps. my camera stop working when my sd card in bird went bad no picture with dji or litchi. but the lichi program works with my mavic perfect. waiting to install a new sd card. I had crack on bottom of 2 of the arms makeing it wiggle. I put the 4 metal shim kit u get on ebay and it took care of the problem.Have the itelite ant also which is suppose to be better not flown long distance with it yet.
I will go thru the argtek ant hook up points when i put it on.

Last edited:
Chris, that sounds really cool. Here in the Dallas area we don't get snow often...so I just have to imagine what you're talking about.

Any chance you could upload a video of it? Im sure everyone would love to see it....cause some can only imagine what that'd be like.

I am in wichita kansas. I am scared to fly in texas always heard they would get u , even if u not recording anything. Where do u fly longrange at.I go to Rowlete Texas to see grandchildren.

Oh you guys making my p3s look bad in the fancy case lol,my p3s lives in the van pantry ha,case was thrown away by mistake when I move here,yeh I know,,anyway yip go the p3s,this was brought in 2016,looks rough and tough but goes awsome still,never been crashed but I did kick it one day when bad mood struck,it was even ok after that,,very reliable and only let me down once,had drone stuff all over and took wrong remote with me,,duh,,ain't she pretty lol,?
20200413_183242.jpg

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik