Thinking of a new drone.

Reaction score
HI..... I'm thinking of trying another DJI drone. I had a Phantom 3 Pro which fell to the ground from about 6 feet. I don't know why, but it was hovering with no inputs by me when it fell.

I've never been able to see live transmission (black screen) since. The other day I upgraded the firmware on the RC and the drone. Now it's just a brick.

Before I buy another DJI product, I'd like to know if they've made their FW upgrades any better with the newer drones. IMHO, the procedures for the P3P were nothing less than totally STUPID. I shouldn't have to jump thru hoops while facing east and whistling "Dixie". So, how 'bout it folks?? Should I chance another DJI Product? No, flaming please; if you love DJI products I say good for you.

Boowho??

Plenty of choices in the DJI world. I’ve not had a lot of experience with the 3 series, but more than I care to admit on the 4 series. The p4 is a good aircraft. The p4p has a much better camera.
Firmware is not a big issue on these as far as being workable. I shy away from updates unless I’m certain they are bug free.

Last edited:
HI..... I'm thinking of trying another DJI drone. I had a Phantom 3 Pro which fell to the ground from about 6 feet. I don't know why, but it was hovering with no inputs by me when it fell.

I've never been able to see live transmission (black screen) since. The other day I upgraded the firmware on the RC and the drone. Now it's just a brick.

Before I buy another DJI product, I'd like to know if they've made their FW upgrades any better with the newer drones. IMHO, the procedures for the P3P were nothing less than totally STUPID. I shouldn't have to jump thru hoops while facing east and whistling "Dixie". So, how 'bout it folks?? Should I chance another DJI Product? No, flaming please; if you love DJI products I say good for you.

Boowho??
PM me if you’d like to sell the camera off of it or even the entire drone.

Plenty of choices in the DJI world. I’ve not had a lot of experience with the 3 series, but more than I care to admit on the 4 series. The p4 is a good aircraft. The p4p has a much better camera.
Firmware is not a big issue on these as far as being workable. I shy away from updates unless I’m certain the are bug free.
Thanks

Boowho??
I crashed my P3P once in 2015, a bird attack made it hit a tree limb. It fell about 40ft onto cement. It was pretty well trashed, except the camera was OK due to the protection I installed, a gimbal guard. The repair included replacing all 4 motors, the shell, the landing gear, a gimbal bracket, the battery tray and all 4 props. It cost $300 for the total repair, and flew like a champ afterwards. If you're OK with the P3P capabilities it may be worth rebuilding. The range on that craft is excellent, especially with a directional parabolic dish for the antennas.

However, if you want the advantages of "follow me" and other intelligent flight operations, or obstacle avoidance, you'll need to upgrade. What should you buy? It really depends on how much you enjoy flying and how often you fly. If you are avid vlogger and edit video all the time, then getting something like the MA2 or the M2Z might be worthy. If you only fly for occasional fun, then a Mini2 would be a fine choice. If you're an avid photographer and want the best, then getting an M2P would be a good choice. All of these suggestions assume you have no plans for commercial work.

As for buying DJI, they are the best value, quality and capability in the market, regardless of your unfortunate experience. They are the ONLY manufacturer with Lightbridge or OcuSync superiority. Everyone else uses Wi-Fi because it's cheap and easy to implement. I do not recommend buying any DJI craft with WiFi communications (Spark, Mavic Mini 1, Telos, P3S), as the range really suffers.

Reactions: Starz

Boowho??
Give the DJI Mini 2 a try...... for less than $500, can’t go wrong and lots of fun.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31